Speculation: Off-Season 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
The off-season is gonna be exciting. Besides Conacher and Killorn, who were expected to make it to the NHL, stay there and have a positive impact on the team sooner or later, a couple of guys have proven that they at least deserve a long and hard look.

None of Johnson, Palat, Gudas and of course Tyrell look out of place right now. And after a full season in the AHL and hopefully a deep playoff run Connolly will be pushing hard, as will Barberio. And then there are Brown and Panik...

A lot of options for Yzerman. And a lot of decisions to make.

Steve Yzerman

A New Season Begins
Mar 11, 2013
Mississauga
Yzerman has to be very careful with any signings he does this offseason, for top four defensemen or whoever else. Next offseason will require contract renewals for all the crunch players who are playing in the NHL as well as Pyatt and Lindback. And Lee (who I don't see getting a renewal if Gudas, Barbeiro, and Korobov come up).

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Yzerman has to be very careful with any signings he does this offseason, for top four defensemen or whoever else. Next offseason will require contract renewals for all the crunch players who are playing in the NHL as well as Pyatt and Lindback. And Lee (who I don't see getting a renewal if Gudas, Barbeiro, and Korobov come up).

After next season Salo will be most off the books, Ohlund hopefully will be retired so thats 8 mil there. None of the Crunch players will get a huge raise, I can see Killorn and Conacher getting 2-2.5 mil for 3 years.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
After next season Salo will be most off the books, Ohlund hopefully will be retired so thats 8 mil there. None of the Crunch players will get a huge raise, I can see Killorn and Conacher getting 2-2.5 mil for 3 years.

Malone and Brewer could be moved. Carle bought out if he continues to suck like this.

Ohlund just stays on LTIR so he basically doesn't count against the cap.

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
I had a random thought:

Would a Carle - Myers swap be something to explore. Neither team seems happy with their players play, and maybe a change of scenery/system would be good for both.

Same cap hit, almost same years left (Myers 4 and Carle 5 after this year.)

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
I had a random thought:

Would a Carle - Myers swap be something to explore. Neither team seems happy with their players play, and maybe a change of scenery/system would be good for both.

I'd take Myers. I think it's all confidence with him.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I had a random thought:

Buffalo fans would think your trolling with a proposal like that.
Myers is 5 years younger and a monster in size, they have huge hopes he'll turn it around.
Would be great if we could make it happen but I don't even think adding a 1st would.

More 2004

Stamkos Apologist
May 3, 2004
Tampa
Lee has been awful for years, and people want to keep him. Carle has been bad for a half season here, and people want to get rid of him.

Agreed 100%. Keep Carle IMO. Is he overpaid? Yes.. but he has also been paired with Brewer who is down right turrible making him look worse than he is at times. Carle can be a serviceable top 4.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
Agreed 100%. Keep Carle IMO. Is he overpaid? Yes.. but he has also been paired with Brewer who is down right turrible making him look worse than he is at times. Carle can be a serviceable top 4.

That's what I have been trying to say !!!!:yo:

Stammer Time*

Sons of Pirates
Dec 6, 2003
St.Pete, Florida
We should seriously consider amnestying Lecavalier this offseason or next why we still have the option to use an amnesty buyout. Getting his contract off the books for what he produces would go a long way towards retaining the depth Yzerman has built up.

Steve Yzerman

A New Season Begins
Mar 11, 2013
Mississauga
We should seriously consider amnestying Lecavalier this offseason or next why we still have the option to use an amnesty buyout. Getting his contract off the books for what he produces would go a long way towards retaining the depth Yzerman has built up.

I would wait until the 2014 summer at least - get all the production we can before buying out that contract. That contract off the book will help the Lightning in the long-term. Unfortunately, I don't think Yzerman thinks the same way.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I would wait until the 2014 summer at least - get all the production we can before buying out that contract. That contract off the book will help the Lightning in the long-term. Unfortunately, I don't think Yzerman thinks the same way.

I agree about waiting till 2014, if he can't stay healthy all of next year I'm sure they'll entertain the idea. I wouldn't want to buy him out and then see him sign with another team. It'll be nice if we can buy him out and convince him to retire and take a job with the organization.

Steve Yzerman

A New Season Begins
Mar 11, 2013
Mississauga
I agree about waiting till 2014, if he can't stay healthy all of next year I'm sure they'll entertain the idea. I wouldn't want to buy him out and then see him sign with another team. It'll be nice if we can buy him out and convince him to retire and take a job with the organization.

This early? No way he would retire. He can still produce and is a good player when he's healthy.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
This early? No way he would retire. He can still produce and is a good player when he's healthy.

That's why I don't think he'll be bought out. If he can't stay healthy next year he might consider it cause he doesn't want to ruin his body for the rest of his life.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
I think this question has been asked before, but can you buy a player out and then offer him a new contract? A much more fair contract for what he produces and what he brings to the table?

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club

This is what i'm thinking, too. I love Vinny, but... eesh.

Steve Yzerman

A New Season Begins
Mar 11, 2013
Mississauga
Can they tell him to sign with another team just for one season? Come back to the team he loves with a contract that does not hurt the team's cap and get two paychecks? That would make TBL the butt of many jokes though. :shakehead

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
Can they tell him to sign with one team just for one season? Come back to the team he loves with a contract that does not hurt the team's cap and get two paychecks? That would make TBL the butt of many jokes though. :shakehead

I think our performances this season have already done that.

Yzlamic Preacher*

If Kipper is on the outs in Calgary, how do you all feel having him for the one year? I have no idea what Calgary would want, but I am just wondering what everyone thinks. I personally would think Kipper is the best goalie for us right now.

Steve Yzerman

A New Season Begins
Mar 11, 2013
Mississauga
If Kipper is on the outs in Calgary, how do you all feel having him for the one year? I have no idea what Calgary would want, but I am just wondering what everyone thinks. I personally would think Kipper is the best goalie for us right now.

Most likely he is not an option as he will be expensive. SportsNet speculated that the price for Toronto was Reimer/Scrivens + a 1st.

2 Weekes Notice

Apr 10, 2012
Non-traditional Land
Most likely he is not an option as he will be expensive. SportsNet speculated that the price for Toronto was Reimer/Scrivens + a 1st.

The Calgary fans on here seemed to think a decent offensive prospect (which, I think we could dig up one of those) and maybe a mid-rounder would do the trick. That said, the Calgary fans on here aren't Jay Feaster.

Not that I'm ready to pull the plug on him, but I wonder if they'd consider Lindback+ something good but not great. Then Kipper holds the reigns until Vasi is ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad