Speculation: Off-Season 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Let me try this again since my last post got shut down.

1)Coaching Staff: Keep Boucher (Ruff clearly not the answer) add Ulf Samuelsson to coach D

Trade:

2)Carle back to Philly for Grossmann...they need an offensive D and Tampa needs a shut down D

3)Brewer at trade line for a prospect and or draft pick...cap dump

4)Malone and a 3rd Rd pick to Pittsburgh for Letang...Pitt gets Malone back TB gets #1 offensive D

5)Signings:

Filppula...good speed and puck sense...token Red Wing player for SY
Ryder...goal scoring winger
Thompson...great 4th line center under GB coaching style
Garon...only goalie in GB system to consistently produce decent numbers/french/cheap
Miller...consistent worker and PKer
Smid-has been one of EDM most steady D over last few years
Kostka-logs a ton of min in TOR

Cory Conacher ($0.925m) / Steven Stamkos ($7.500m) / Martin St. Louis ($5.625m)
Brett Connolly ($1.633m) / Vincent Lecavalier ($7.727m) / Teddy Purcell ($4.500m)
Valtteri Filppula ($3.500m) / Alexander Killorn ($0.875m) / Michael Ryder ($3.500m)
Tom Pyatt ($0.600m) / Nate Thompson ($0.900m) / Drew Miller ($0.838m)
DEFENSEMEN
Kris Letang ($3.500m) / Victor Hedman ($4.000m)
Nicklas Grossmann ($3.500m) / Sami Salo ($3.750m)
Ladislav Smid ($2.750m) / Mike Kostka ($1.500m)
Brian Lee ($1.150m) /
GOALTENDERS
Anders Lindback ($1.800m)
Mathieu Garon ($1.300m)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,479,773; BONUSES: $850,000
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $2,670,227

The only other thing I would consider is a Vinny buyout and sign Derek Roy???

Is this closer??? or did I just shut down this post too???

1) Everyone knows my opinion on Bobby Boucher, I haven't kept it a secret

2) Phili wasn't willing to pay him what he wanted coming off a solid offensive year with them, what makes you think they'll take that salary coming off of a disappointing year with the cap going down?

3) Wouldn't mind if we get a decent pick or prospect

4) We are not getting Letang for that, lol

5) That is a lot of signings and it reminds me of the OK hockey days of signing a bunch of the lower tier players instead of signing something good.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
Carle back to Philly for Grossmann...they need an offensive D and Tampa needs a shut down D We need Carle more than we need Grossmann

Malone and a 3rd Rd pick to Pittsburgh for Letang...Pitt gets Malone back TB gets #1 offensive D No. Just...no. I would love to have Letang but we're not getting him, let alone for Malone and a 3rd.

Again, just no.

And in response to most of your signing ideas it would be better to bring up forwards from Syracuse as if some of them stay there longer their development will stall.

Steve Yzerman

A New Season Begins
Mar 11, 2013
Mississauga

There are still several problems with your proposal.

Coaching Staff: Keep Boucher (Ruff clearly not the answer) add Ulf Samuelsson to coach D
Ruff is not the answer as Cooper is waiting in the AHL. It's between Cooper or Boucher.

Trade:

Carle back to Philly for Grossmann...they need an offensive D and Tampa needs a shut down D

They are looking for a defenseman, so they would not be interested in trading one of their defenseman. Also, they won't trade Grossmann for Carle when they let Carle walk.

Malone and a 3rd Rd pick to Pittsburgh for Letang...Pitt gets Malone back TB gets #1 offensive D

Pittsburgh would not make this trade.

Signings:

Will be expensive and with the cap coming down, this is unlikely.
Garon...only goalie in GB system to consistently produce decent numbers/french/cheap

With the exception of Garon and Thompson, you assume that players like Ryder, Miller, Smid, and Kostka will be available in the summer for FA signings while they will most likely sign extensions to their contracts. Also Garon is an unlikely signing as Yzerman will want to put one of the AHL goaltenders as a backup so that Vasilevski/Janus will be available to play in the AHL.

Brett Connolly ($1.633m) / Vincent Lecavalier ($7.727m) / Teddy Purcell ($4.500m)
Valtteri Filppula ($3.500m) / Alexander Killorn ($0.875m) / Michael Ryder ($3.500m)
DEFENSEMEN
Brian Lee ($1.150m) /
GOALTENDERS
Mathieu Garon ($1.300m)

Just so you know rumors are that Filppula is asking for around 5 million.

Derek Roy is more likely to be traded at the deadline or sign an extension than reach the FA market. Also, why buy out Vinny, he eats big minutes and is producing well this season. This is one of his best seasons

Code:
This one is closer, but still needs improvement.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Lee is making 1.1 per year and is a #6/7 D. Carle is making 5.5 and is expected to be a top 2 D. Which has disappointed more? Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't he paired with Pronger in Phili? Pronger came to Phili in 09-10 and that's when Carle had an offensive and +/- explosion. He also played with Pronger for more than half the year in 10-11 and had a career year. In 11-12 Pronger was injured and he had the typical Phili year, all offense and no defense. I hardly see enough individual success there to warrant 5.5 million dollars per year for over half a decade. If we were paying him 3 or 4 million then fine, but 5.5 is waaaaaay too much for what he brings to the table.
I don't care what Lees role or cost is, he doesn't have a track record of success and the same skillset as Carle. If you're actually serious about throwing him away after a half season, you might as well get rid of Vinny, St. Louis, Teddy, and others.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
I don't care what Lees role or cost is, he doesn't have a track record of success and the same skillset as Carle. If you're actually serious about throwing him away after a half season, you might as well get rid of Vinny, St. Louis, Teddy, and others.

Dude, what are you talking about? When did I ever say anything about getting rid of those three? Vinny and Marty are having one of the most productive years of their careers. Teddy looks paid and he is very soft but I wouldn't give him up, wouldn't mind if we traded him though.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
We should trade Teddy, absolutely. We have enough talent ready to come up to make him redundant. Remember early in the season when I said we should trade him? Yeah, not so crazy now, is it.

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
We should trade Teddy, absolutely. We have enough talent ready to come up to make him redundant. Remember early in the season when I said we should trade him? Yeah, not so crazy now, is it.

You'll never trade him now. Need a team that would give him a 3rd chance to not be so lazy. I've always called him our version of Alexander Semin.

Yzlamic Preacher*

Honestly now that I have sobered up and am at work. I would prefer to keep Carle, and move Lee. If next season Carle doesn't play well, then try to move him. Brewer has to go. It is mandatory now, I don't think anyone here can argue that. A great pipe dream would be going after Flip. He is exactly the type of player we need. Unfortunately 29 other teams are thinking the exact same thing. Maybe SFY can pull out some magic. Smid is a good target for D. Buying out Brewer or trading him would have to happen. Offensively if players can stay healthy would be sufficient enough to move forward. Lindback is finally looking to get comfortable in the last few games, so my confidence in him is starting to rise. I think the reason for the frustration among all of us arises from the fact we don't want to admit that we are in a rebuild. It was out of left field, none of us acknowledge it, and now I feel like we are the Calgary Flames of East Coast.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
We aren't trading Lee because he wouldn't get us much in a return. He's on a cheap salary for 1 more year and is a decent bottom pair player. I wouldn't trade Carle just yet either but if he doesn't turn it around i'd have to think about it next year. Lee we can just let walk after next year or waive him if he doesn't improve. Brewer has to go now, he's just terrible.

Last edited:

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Dude, what are you talking about? When did I ever say anything about getting rid of those three? Vinny and Marty are having one of the most productive years of their careers. Teddy looks paid and he is very soft but I wouldn't give him up, wouldn't mind if we traded him though.

Its basically the same thing you're saying. You're judging a guy based off a half season of games and you're ready to dump him. Its not smart.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I would wait until the draft to make the moves.

Jones would fix the top 4 RD issue.

Monahan, Lindholm, Barkov etc would bring third line C.. maybe. Barkov at least. Monahan and Lindholm may need more seasoning.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona

Coaching Staff: Keep Boucher (Ruff clearly not the answer) add Ulf Samuelsson to coach D

Trade:

Carle back to Philly for Grossmann...they need an offensive D and Tampa needs a shut down D

Brewer at trade line for a prospect and or draft pick...cap dump

Malone and a 3rd Rd pick to Pittsburgh for Letang...Pitt gets Malone back TB gets #1 offensive D

Signings:

DEFENSEMEN
Brian Lee ($1.150m) /
GOALTENDERS
Mathieu Garon ($1.300m)

This made my day :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012

Trade:

Brewer at trade line for a prospect and or draft pick...cap dump

Signings:

DEFENSEMEN
Brian Lee ($1.150m) /
GOALTENDERS
Mathieu Garon ($1.300m)

Most things are already said about your proposal, but can you please explain me, why you don't want any of our D prospects in Tampa? I think Gudas and Barbs have nothing more to prove in the AHL and should be in the NHL next season. So I doubt we sign more than one D, and thats even only happening, if SY trades Brewer and/or Lee. And even this guy won't be a top defender. More like a rental and try to land a big name in 2014, when Salo will most likely retire.
And I think a D core of:
Hedman-Salo
Carle-Gudas
Aulie-Barbs/FA
FA/ BArbs, Korobov/Taormina/Mikkelson

is pretty solid, if they play upt o their abilitiy.

Then try to land a big UFA D in 2014 (if we don't draft Jones). Available COULD be:
Hjalmarsson
Meszaros
Bouwmeester
Markov
Orpik
Seidenberg
Niskanen
Emelin

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Its basically the same thing you're saying. You're judging a guy based off a half season of games and you're ready to dump him. Its not smart.

I want to get rid of him because I don't think he's worth 5.5 million per year with the cap going down next year.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
I want to get rid of him because I don't think he's worth 5.5 million per year with the cap going down next year.

Carle isn't going anywhere, you don't sign him to that contract and one year latter ask for a mulligan. It doesn't work that way, and if he was paired with a solid defensive guy he would be quite good.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Carle isn't going anywhere, you don't sign him to that contract and one year latter ask for a mulligan. It doesn't work that way, and if he was paired with a solid defensive guy he would be quite good.

That may be the worst argument for giving someone a big contract ever

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
What argument He is already signed, I never said they should of done it ???

You know what I mean. Saying that if he had a good partner he might look good? That's ridiculous. A guy making 5.5 million needs to be able to do something on his own.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
You know what I mean. Saying that if he had a good partner he might look good? That's ridiculous. A guy making 5.5 million needs to be able to do something on his own.

He shouldn't be but he is so if you pair him with a defensive guy you can best utilize his talents. :nod:Is that better ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad