Speculation: Off-Season 2013 - Part III

2MinutesforGiraffing

angelsil on safari
Apr 2, 2013
Tampa
We're supposed to compete now.

So much THIS. I don't have the blind faith in Yzerman that some folks seem to possess. This is a business and Tampa needs to ice a competitive product. If we are going full on rebuild, then there are some obvious pieces that can be leveraged for young talent. Right now, we just look like a team that's in a half-assed rebuild and doesn't want to admit it.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Tampa is at 48 contracts now and Koekkoek going back to juniors would put it at 47.

2.6 mil in cap space, though 2.3 mil are from bonuses. Ohlund on LTIR gives 3.6 mil more.

There is room to sign 1 year stop gap. Gilbert, Hainsey, White, Cola, Huskins..

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
So much THIS. I don't have the blind faith in Yzerman that some folks seem to possess. This is a business and Tampa needs to ice a competitive product. If we are going full on rebuild, then there are some obvious pieces that can be leveraged for young talent. Right now, we just look like a team that's in a half-assed rebuild and doesn't want to admit it.

So everyone here thinks they could put the core together of what this team is going to be 3 years out?

This is the problem. Till stevie can evaluate what we really have with the kids and the older players is kinda dumb just to turn it all over upside down.

Now I expect us to turn this over upside down if we do not compete or if someone is a sore thumb. Just like stevie making the move for bishop and letting conacher go and trying something for lindback.

When he can evaluate and say yep here is our problem he will make a move. He is not scared of losing assets he proved that in lindback over payment or probable over payment.

I get stevie's thought process on lets get to camp give some new people a look and find out where we are. Playing these kids also will give other teams a look at them and be able to gauge true or prospective worth a lot better. Making them more valuable.

Yes obviously is going to be some who are going to prove to be less valuable but that is a risk needed.

I dont think we are that far off that one two shakeups should put us into serious playoff debate or guys stepping up could do same thing.

Stevie might also have high hopes on people like korobov sustr and koekkoek higher hopes than I do at this point meaning he might believe someone is truly going to step up at camp and be ready NOW.

I figure this is why we have done nothing so far. I expect a lot of movement actually if that is what is dictated by our play.

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009

Except there is absolutely NO NEED for a full rebuild. None. Call it what you want, retool, half assed rebuild, whatever, but it's what should be happening. And it doesn't take blind faith in Yzerman to see it either.

You have the kids coming up and it's going to be their team very soon, but you still need those obvious pieces that you want to leverage here to guide them and provide a veteran presence. Somebody that has been there and done that, that knows what it means to win. There is no reason to be trading away those pieces for young talent. We have that already.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Everyone says our D is our biggest problem and needs to be fixed. If you look at the lineup the only spot we need to upgrade is the first pair RD. How many other teams in the league probably have that same issue with needs for a 1st pair player? Salo does the job well but would be ideal on the 2nd pair with Carle. Hedman and Carle are not going anywhere. Gudas will get the shot at 2nd RD which he can play well but isn't ready for a full season of it just yet. The 3rd pair of Aulie/Brewer/Gudas is pretty good and league comparable. So you tell me how we get a 1st pair D especially a RH one without giving up the moon?

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
Everyone says our D is our biggest problem and needs to be fixed. If you look at the lineup the only spot we need to upgrade is the first pair RD. How many other teams in the league probably have that same issue with needs for a 1st pair player? Salo does the job well but would be ideal on the 2nd pair with Carle. Hedman and Carle are not going anywhere. Gudas will get the shot at 2nd RD which he can play well but isn't ready for a full season of it just yet. The 3rd pair of Aulie/Brewer/Gudas is pretty good and league comparable. So you tell me how we get a 1st pair D especially a RH one without giving up the moon?

Well honestly, you can't take guys serious, when they say Tampa has scoring depth issues..... And those are the same guys that said SY made nothing to bolster our holes, while he imo did the est possible move (COOPER). top pairing defenders don't spread out of nothing.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Well honestly, you can't take guys serious, when they say Tampa has scoring depth issues..... And those are the same guys that said SY made nothing to bolster our holes, while he imo did the est possible move (COOPER). top pairing defenders don't spread out of nothing.

Should have traded Syracuse for Luongo, I guess.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
So everyone here thinks they could put the core together of what this team is going to be 3 years out?

Here's the thing, you don't need to "build" a core for 3 years from now we have a solid 3 and if bishop plays well he'll be here in the long haul. What we really need and is the most important thing right now is a team identity and system, we looked lost 90% of the time last year, next thing we need is more defensive depth, both of these will help cover a shaky goaltender, or at least give him confidence that it's not all on him to win the game.

Stamkos, St.louis, Hedman and Bishop would make a superb core for a cup run, as it would give us a strong player at every position.

Not to mention we have an aging St.louis on this team who clearly is in it to win now and honestly if I were him and next season is a bust, I'd take a long hard look at a trade and I doubt anyone can harbor ill will towards him if he did leave.

And one thing yzerman better be weary about is Steven Stamkos is up for ufa in 3 years time, if Marty's gone and this team is going nowhere you better believe he'll be taking phone calls from other teams.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
I disagree, we should not and are not trying to rebuild. We're supposed to compete now.

02-03 was a team in a rebuild ;) Honestly I'm not expecting us to ruin away with our division our anything, but with the emergence of Gudas, Drouin/Flipula joining the team, honestly think squeaking in the playoffs with a very young team isn't out of the question. If they do do that, than our future just became even more exciting that much quicker ;)

If anyone expects us to be a threat for the cup this year, will be sorely.mistaken.

FDfranklin

Jan 21, 2013
Is there anyway to go and watch them skate? I work a few blocks from the forum but I'm guessing they wont let anyone walk in?

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Is there anyway to go and watch them skate? I work a few blocks from the forum but I'm guessing they wont let anyone walk in?

That's something addressed a bit in the Power Play Podcast. The informal skates at the Forum aren't open to the public, but the training camp proper will have sessions open for the public to watch.

Corrected.

NEWS: Informal #Bolts workout scheduled for 10AM tomorrow, while rookie camp opens at 12:30PM. Both @ TBTF, free and open to the public.
https://twitter.com/Missy_Zielinski/...03942004207618

edit: EE tweeted this
For those attending #tblightning rookie practices Wed. and Thurs, enter through Gate B; parking not provided, so you are on your own there
https://twitter.com/erlendssonTBO/status/374978388106420224

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
are they going to stream the games or anything?

the rookie camp games? I haven't seen anything, but I do recall in one of the past years (2010-ish) them being streamed. The Bolts rookies are going to one of the smaller tournaments, so I wouldn't count on it.

I'm checking the rest of the league and the 'lil Oilers will stream their games against the Flames, Jets, and Canucks.
http://oilers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=680612

The Sabres will have their games on the radio.
http://sabres.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=681142&navid=DL|BUF|home

FD, there was a tweet that I edited into the relevant post, but ICYMI
NEWS: Informal #Bolts workout scheduled for 10AM tomorrow, while rookie camp opens at 12:30PM. Both @ TBTF, free and open to the public.
https://twitter.com/Missy_Zielinski/status/375003942004207618

Last edited:

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
the rookie camp games? I haven't seen anything, but I do recall in one of the past years (2010-ish) them being streamed. The Bolts rookies are going to one of the smaller tournaments, so I wouldn't count on it.

I'm checking the rest of the league and the 'lil Oilers will stream their games against the Flames, Jets, and Canucks.
http://oilers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=680612

The Sabres will have their games on the radio.
http://sabres.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=681142&navid=DL|BUF|home

FD, there was a tweet that I edited into the relevant post, but ICYMI

https://twitter.com/Missy_Zielinski/status/375003942004207618

ya the rookie camps I twitter asked erlender and bolt prospects maybe they can find out for me:) I feel am having withdrawal

FDfranklin

Jan 21, 2013
Wish it wasn't so hot out today.. too far to walk from Kenendy in this heat.

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Wish it wasn't so hot out today.. too far to walk from Kenendy in this heat.

You kids today.

Back in my day we'd walk in the snow, uphill both ways, to possibly get a glimpse of an approximation of hockey.

Meanwhile here I am counting down the days until Orlando's free agent camp and I don't even know who's going to be there.

Also,
#Lightning goaltender Ben Bishop left yesterday for Tampa Bay....should have strong year
https://twitter.com/andystrickland/status/375237928613474305

Fortunately St. Louis is diagonal from Tampa Bay, otherwise it'd have taken him forever to get here.

Last edited:

FDfranklin

Jan 21, 2013
You kids today.

Back in my day we'd walk in the snow, uphill both ways, to possibly get a glimpse of an approximation of hockey.

Meanwhile here I am counting down the days until Orlando's free agent camp and I don't even know who's going to be there.

Also,

https://twitter.com/andystrickland/status/375237928613474305

Fortunately St. Louis is diagonal from Tampa Bay, otherwise it'd have taken him forever to get here.

Yeah Yeah.. It's really not a bad walk I do it to every game but I didn't bring my GoPro to take vid/pics anyways and my iPhone camera doesn't work. Might be going tomorrow though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad