Speculation: Off-Season 2013 - Part III

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Old Thread: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1447565&page=41

New thread.

Last 5 posts

The Solar Bears flair. Plus I remember a while ago you said on your resume that your name started with an A, so you were placed first in lines at school, evolving you into a leader.
That is ****ing awesome.

nhl.com 30 in 30 with Dan Rosen

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=263254&catid=-6

Our full 30 in 30 breakdown isn't until Wednesday

Why I can't read reddit about us:

I hope none of you said that. Decided to look at our 30 teams in 30 days deal.

http://www.reddit.com/r/hockey/comments/1jmn4n/30_teams30_days_tampa_bay_lightning/

Also, I feel like I know FP's reddit username.
lol what a pile of garbage.

So I’ve been thinking about what our line-ups will look like come October, and I keep coming up with the same conclusion: We have way to much (potential) talent. What a great problem to have right? When I look at the CapGeek page, I see the following lineups

Purcell-Stamkos-St.Louis
Or as I like to call it, ‘the line-up that is so unsurprising that everyone will be surprised when it happens.’

Killorn-Filipula-Malone
Or the ‘Wait until Malone gets injured and then replace him with someone younger and/or better’ line.

Palat-Johnson-Drouin
Or the ‘Scary as hell rookie line.’ I (like many of you) think that Drouin will be in the second line pretty quickly if he plays like he is expected to, but at the same time, I kind of think that Cooper may try something crazy and do an all rookies 3rd line early, just to how it works.

Labrie-Thompson-Crombeen
The ‘We wont be scoring… but you wont be either’ line. I actually feel like this will be a hell of shut down line for us this year, as long as Labrie keeps improving.

And of course, Pyatt for the extra... I just can’t find a place for him. I guess he could go on the third line without any issue, but I'm sticking with my rookie 3rd line idea haha.

That leaves: Tyrell, Connolly, Panik, and Brown for call ups who would be ready to go immediately… and I really have no idea for our center depth who would be ready to go now that Johnson is assumed up here.

What do you guys think?

I think you should pencil in Panik where Malone is. It would be more surprising if Malone stays healthy all season. Also I am very weary of running so many rookies. About 6 rookies will be in the starting line up. Then when Salo and Malone get inevitably injured, calling up 2 more. It makes me wonder, we have so much great youth, lot that are ready for the NHL. But having to put some in such a hard situation right away might be bad for their development.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
So I’ve been thinking about what our line-ups will look like come October, and I keep coming up with the same conclusion: We have way to much (potential) talent. What a great problem to have right? When I look at the CapGeek page, I see the following lineups

Purcell-Stamkos-St.Louis
Or as I like to call it, ‘the line-up that is so unsurprising that everyone will be surprised when it happens.’

Killorn-Filipula-Malone
Or the ‘Wait until Malone gets injured and then replace him with someone younger and/or better’ line.

Palat-Johnson-Drouin
Or the ‘Scary as hell rookie line.’ I (like many of you) think that Drouin will be in the second line pretty quickly if he plays like he is expected to, but at the same time, I kind of think that Cooper may try something crazy and do an all rookies 3rd line early, just to how it works.

Labrie-Thompson-Crombeen
The ‘We wont be scoring… but you wont be either’ line. I actually feel like this will be a hell of shut down line for us this year, as long as Labrie keeps improving.

And of course, Pyatt for the extra... I just can’t find a place for him. I guess he could go on the third line without any issue, but I'm sticking with my rookie 3rd line idea haha.

That leaves: Tyrell, Connolly, Panik, and Brown for call ups who would be ready to go immediately… and I really have no idea for our center depth who would be ready to go now that Johnson is assumed up here.

What do you guys think?

First knowing as little as I know about cooper it seems to me he likes a physical guy on each line or a very good two way player. Second think Stevie has told him he needs to win and going to leave him alone to get that done. I would say what I am about to say will not be agreed upon by most or some things wont be etc..

This is just what I see happening.

First line is killorn stamkos marty
second line is drouin valtteri purcell
third line is palat johnson panik
fourth line thompson labrie malone-crombeen-pyatt
defense first line salo hedman
second carle gudas
third brewer aulie
7th defender barberio
goaltenders bishop lindback
I think cooper keeps his best line together from ahl for some of season but panik is gonna move up to second line at some point.

Connolly first call up. Think JT Brown might get some time early but see kucherov and namestnikov moving past him by seasons end.

Think tyrell is first cut bury waiver. Can see labrie moving into third line. My problem is am unsure how well malone can play skate be productive besides as power play guy and on limited use. He had 8 points in 22 games I think last year not something to be happy about. I think panik pushes purcell by his all around play and hunger. Palat is a lot better player than people realize right now. He actually hits a lot for his size etc.. Is a good all around player so think he sticks over connolly after camp. If purcell and malone dont get off to very good shots their time on top lines might be very short if they even get that at all. Their time on the team might be short.

I look for panik to continue to develop be on pace for like 35 points I believe and killorn the same on pace for like 45. If he gets first line and power play will be higher. Drouin think could break 50 if gets time on second line and power play. Think valtteri and purcell scorer a little above drouin.

I actually am one of the guys who thinks malone gets back to close to normal meaning not a 30 point season but more like a 35-40 with close to 15-20 goals but that would mean he is getting plenty of power play time. The problem with purcell is that he is basically a 60 point top guy who plays with two guys hitting close to 100. I would give a kid the chance till find one who could get closer to 80 not 60 with that line.

Not sure if that will happen yet. Think when connolly and kucherov are up that top line changes for sure. Think purcell will be gone when both of them are up. They just bring more upside on scoring and right now I would take both as all around players over purcell.

I think you should pencil in Panik where Malone is. It would be more surprising if Malone stays healthy all season. Also I am very weary of running so many rookies. About 6 rookies will be in the starting line up. Then when Salo and Malone get inevitably injured, calling up 2 more. It makes me wonder, we have so much great youth, lot that are ready for the NHL. But having to put some in such a hard situation right away might be bad for their development.

Yeah not exactly ideal situation:( I am more worried on defensive guys early though than most guys. I think most of offensive guys have proven they need to be given a true shot. Killorn panik gudas proved to me belong have games for nhl for sure.

Drouin we will see but he is focused way more than any 18 year old I ever recall personally. Very dedicated I just look at certain things his body fat for one. That is not nature itself the guy works his butt off for sure to be in that kind of shape. He came to Tampa 100% solid and ready mentally and physically in camp. I was impressed with him for sure.

I look at palat and he is complete player to me smaller than I would like but tough so think he will work out. I worry on johnson but he has soo much speed will help for his size. Palat plays bigger tougher than he is. The guy I worry on is barberio just not sold on him at all as complete good defender hope he surprises me. Think is more a power play guy in pros if he can get good enough. Friends who know more disagree hope they are right:)

I really worry on Connolly coming up right off bat. I think they put a lot on him to develop a fuller all around game. I think this effected him and has hurt his scoring potential. I worry that a drop in points in playoffs will affect his confidence when sees other players out play him for now. I hope they leave him in AHL let get super hot than bring him up when is on a roll.

Next guy JT Brown is fast and plays physical for size. I like him and think he will work his way into some type of roll and cause pyatt and/or crombeen to be expendable at one point.

I think Kucherov is next guy after that and do not think anything can stop him from making the team by end of year. He just has top 10 pick skills and is only going to get better. His scoring slap shot is NHL ready he is becoming a better defender in leaps and bounds all around player etc.. He I believe is truly going to be special and wind up with our first line by start of next year. I just think he has that extra and we have a steal and a half in that kid.

I think because of all the talent after kucherov in AHL this year I am gonna be as excited to watch syracuse as I am to watch the lightning lol. Is amazing how many kids we have some picks in last 3 years but some FA's which seem to maybe be special in future. To see which defenders step up:) nesterov korobov sustr witkowski seergeev koekkoek blujus not sure if he is ahl yet? Gonna be a fun year no matter what though.

Last edited by a moderator:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Don't know why everyone has Palat penciled into the lineup. I like the kid but feel he's best served starting the season on the top line in the A. Unless Malone gets hurt before the season starts he'll be on the 3rd line LW. The only real spot I see a competition in camp for is the 3rd line RW between Panik/Connolly and Brown. Think Panik has the edge cause of his better two way game.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I too think Palat won't be in the season opening lineup unless he comes into camp like Conacher did. He'll be one of the first call-ups in case of injuries though.

My projections:

Killorn - Stamkos - St. Louis
Drouin/Malone - Filppula - Purcell
Malone/Drouin - Johnson - Panik
Labrie - Thompson - Crombeen

Press box: Pyatt, Tyrell (could be waived though)

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

Brett Connolly, Steve Downie, Stammer and BJ Crombeen, among others at BioSteel camp 2013.

Watching the video, I think I may have spotted Solar Bear Michael Neal. I'd recognize that flow anywhere. His older brother is the Pens James Neal.

edit:

I found LAST year's BioSteel Camp games.

drinkthepink.com

and Michael Neal was at that camp, so that's got to be him again now. Wore #51 on Team Stamkos. M. Neal looked a bit intimidated by the talent on the ice. He had a clear path to the goal in the first game and he's looking to pass it.

That was probably also the last time he had his head up in the offensive zone. I saw him get wrecked on several occasions for having his head down in the season that followed.

8/22: for whatever reasons, the video was re-uploaded without the Stammer clip.

Last edited:

Steve Yzerman

A New Season Begins
Mar 11, 2013
Mississauga
I too think Palat won't be in the season opening lineup unless he comes into camp like Conacher did. He'll be one of the first call-ups in case of injuries though.

My projections:

Tyrell was waived last season and no one took him. :laugh: Pyatt, I can definitely see as trade bait.

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
Tyrell was waived last season and no one took him. :laugh: Pyatt, I can definitely see as trade bait.

I would love to see Pyatt get traded, just cause the kids a good player, but completely replaceable in our lineup. I'm still shocked no one picked up Tyrell. He isnt amazing, but he is good to have for depth.

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay

My projections:

Whoops, I meant to put Palat (or any other rookie) on my lineup. My bad. haha

and I will be curious to see if Killorn is on the first line. Personally I would like to see that, but its hard to tell if he will be put up there or not. I just went the safe route haha

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
Thoughts on dropping Killorn to the third line? I mean, the kid is good, but I wouldn't say he's 1st or 2nd line in the NHL good. Yet. I understand he played with 91 and 26 every so often, but that was with a coach who liked to shift lines and such.

Then perhaps Drouin can slot in on lines 1 or 2, because, let's face it, he's not really a bottom-six type of player. Killorn can play bottom six.

I mean, it's too early to tell. Just a thought.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Thoughts on dropping Killorn to the third line? I mean, the kid is good, but I wouldn't say he's 1st or 2nd line in the NHL good. Yet. I understand he played with 91 and 26 every so often, but that was with a coach who liked to shift lines and such.

Then perhaps Drouin can slot in on lines 1 or 2, because, let's face it, he's not really a bottom-six type of player. Killorn can play bottom six.

I mean, it's too early to tell. Just a thought.

Killorn fits in the top line well. He's not super talented, but he's a hell of a puck hound and has a north-south game that fits Stammer and Marty's talent (kind of like Burrows in Vancouver).

Maelmoor

Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
As I said in another thread, I love the fact that we got a lot of talent in the organization and people should be enthusiastic about it...

..but as always, people tend to rate "their" talents too highly, how many do pan out and become good NHL players? Not so many, let us build the team upon a great prospect depth with some gems like Drouin, that is great for the future but let us not rely on these kids for the time being to get into the top lines and start to deliver at once.

If nothing else it would be unfair towards the kids!

Yzlamic Preacher*

Killorn fits in the top line well. He's not super talented, but he's a hell of a puck hound and has a north-south game that fits Stammer and Marty's talent (kind of like Burrows in Vancouver).

Without the softness and diving... I hope.

lavoy

Nov 3, 2011

If you guys send him back, I'll thank the organization by buying a jersey and attending a few games live when he does make the team :) .... I'm going to do those things either way, I'd just really like Jo back for one more year, since he's only been in Halifax for 1 and a half seasons... Would love to defend our crowns with him in the mix again...

"If the guarantee of minutes isn';t there for Drouin, though, don't be shocked if he is returned to the Mooseheads for another year of growth."

If he sticks in the NHL, so be it, I'll cheer for him regardless and I think he'll be a scary threat in years to come...

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
BioSteel Camp Day 2. Not nearly as much focus in the video on Lightning players, but add to the list of attendees newly out of the organization Alex Hutchings, still rocking the pants.

It's ultimately a promotional video, but...ehh? Why not? It's a four day camp in August with some sweet snipes. NHL.com has a video on it's front page of Kris Letang climbing a ladder.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
and finally Day 4.

I didn't figure it out.

9/5: but I did find out the name of the song if there's any interest.

Proxy - Raw (Haezer Remix)

Last edited:

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
https://twitter.com/erlendssonTBO
Both Clark and Garon are skating in Brandon along with Jan Hlavac and Filip Kuba, St Louis will be back this week after Cdn Oly camp
Spoke with former #tblightning G Mathieu Garon who said he has some options to play in Europe, but hasn't made a decision yet
Former #tblightning Dman Brett Clark also exploring his options right now, including playing in Europe

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com

https://twitter.com/erlendssonTBO
Quote:
Both Clark and Garon are skating in Brandon along with Jan Hlavac and Filip Kuba, St Louis will be back this week after Cdn Oly camp
Quote:
Spoke with former #tblightning G Mathieu Garon who said he has some options to play in Europe, but hasn't made a decision yet
Quote:
Former #tblightning Dman Brett Clark also exploring his options right now, including playing in Europe

If could sign Kuba and Clarke to below 900 k each would pick them up. Can always bury them in AHL and not get hit on cap:) That is correct statement right?

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/story/2013/01/06/sp-nhl-nhlpa-labour-deal-nuts-and-bolts.html

They seem to like it here at least so maybe can get on the real cheap.

If have injuries which I would bet anything we will they would be adequate to fill in for limited time at the very least.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
If could sign Kuba and Clarke to below 900 k each would pick them up. Can always bury them in AHL and not get hit on cap:) That is correct statement right?

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/story/2013/01/06/sp-nhl-nhlpa-labour-deal-nuts-and-bolts.html

They seem to like it here at least so maybe can get on the real cheap.

If have injuries which I would bet anything we will they would be adequate to fill in for limited time at the very least.
Kuba is unavailable. He's being paid in the millions by the Panthers.

You also can't just bury them in the minors. Syracuse is loaded right now with young talent on the blueline. (like Korobov, Sergeev, Nesterov, Sustr, Barberio, Witkowski, etc.) There's simply no room. Even if the Lightning carry 8 dmen, Syracuse would still have a surplus. The most important thing is our young guys get their playing time.

With Clark, if he would have accepted a teaching role in Syracuse earlier in the summer that would have been great. But with the addition of Mormina, we're all set down there.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Kuba is unavailable. He's being paid in the millions by the Panthers.

You also can't just bury them in the minors. Syracuse is loaded right now with young talent on the blueline. (like Korobov, Sergeev, Nesterov, Sustr, Barberio, Witkowski, etc.) There's simply no room. Even if the Lightning carry 8 dmen, Syracuse would still have a surplus. The most important thing is our young guys get their playing time.

With Clark, if he would have accepted a teaching role in Syracuse earlier in the summer that would have been great. But with the addition of Mormina, we're all set down there.

Oh last had looked thought we had like 46 spots filled so far so thought we had room.

Have been waiting to see who is in syracuse etc.. but guess that will all come after camp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad