OFF DAY THREAD! Where we complain on non game days!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
InconsequentialDearBarnowl-small.gif

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I still don't like the fact we didn't bridge Marino after 60ish games as pro. I'm surprised JR doesn't want to give POJ a new 6 year $4M+ AAV contract right now.

I haven’t seen anything Marino has done that makes me question he won’t be worth that contract.

Then again I like Pettersson so obviously my view points of defensemen around here are a little different..

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
The point is to improve, not make trades for trades' sake.

Neither of those trades made us better, directly or indirectly. Our PP's been in the shitter for over a year with no answer in sight, and Matheson already looks like a huge mistake while Hornqvist looks as good as ever. Then there's the Kahun for Sheary fiasco.

We've also thrown around 1st round picks without getting definitive answers to any significant problems we had. What could we have gotten for 2 1sts and some good prospects? We'll never know.

Probably two 40-50 pt forwards which is what we got. Also, what other prospects did we move recently besides Hallander?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think in all likelihood Matheson was still the best offer, but once the scouts said that he was able to be turned around Rutherford just stopped negotiating and left multiple picks on the table.

Matheson being the best offer and there being multiple picks left on the table only works out if you believe no other team want Hornqvist and were willing to do cap for cap on players equal to Matheson, which makes no sense to me.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
I just want to say how I love Blueger and Tanev. Fantastic textbook bottom6ers. We have a legit good 3rd line and legit good 1st line. 2nd line with potential to be a very good 2nd line as soon as Geno and Zucker get their shit together. On paper, this team should be very good, especially if POJ is legit and Marino gets back to his form (AKA gets away from Ceci).

But this team really should be fine. Jarry is the key as well.

I agree, this team has a strong forward group. I love the top 9 and think a McCann-Blueger-Tanev line is a really strong 3rd line that has good offense but can play a great defensive game. I think that is a hard 3rd line to beat.

The top 6 is a very talented and all they need is for Sullivan to actually put them in the right groups. Preseason is over now after 6 games in. Time to start playing like it is regular season hockey. I think they are heading in the right direction playing a better defensive game recently. The 4th line has enough talent for a 4th line. Between Jankowski, Sceviour, O'Connor, Rodriguez, ZAR, and Lafferty they should be able to make a decent 4th line. I really think the forward group is very solid.

The defense will also be fine. I fell very confident that Dumoulin-Letang and Pettersson-Marino will get into form and we will have a strong top 4. Between Matheson, POJ, Riikola, Ruhwedel, and Ceci we should be able to form a decent 3rd pairing.

Jarry also is looking back to form. I really think this team has the pieces to get it done. They have to get their crap together but the potential is definitely there.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Matheson being the best offer and there being multiple picks left on the table only works out if you believe no other team want Hornqvist and were willing to do cap for cap on players equal to Matheson, which makes no sense to me.

I think Florida would have added in picks if JR pushed on it. But JR liked Matheson and thought he was getting a steal, and so he didn't.

JR always gives up surplus value when he has a chance to get "his guy." Matheson is another one of his guys.

By the way, I'm sure other teams out there would have also made a better offer than Matheson + Sceviour. But Matheson, Sceviour, 2nd, 4th? Not sure.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I think Florida would have added in picks if JR pushed on it. But JR liked Matheson and thought he was getting a steal, and so he didn't.

JR always gives up surplus value when he has a chance to get "his guy." Matheson is another one of his guys.

By the way, I'm sure other teams out there would have also made a better offer than Matheson + Sceviour. But Matheson, Sceviour, 2nd, 4th? Not sure.

I highly doubt anyone was adding picks to acquire Hornqvist.

Tyler Johnson couldn’t be given away. Saad returned Zadorov.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
The Power Play is currently running at 27.8%, Matheson played a grand total of 2 games, and Kahun was an unqualified free agent in the summer who currently has 1 assist in 7 games for Edmonton.

Also, not every trade will work. We all know that. If you ask for change you have to accept it might get worse.

The PP was trash last year and has mostly looked terrible this year (we're 4-2, have we looked like a good team?), I will happily take any bets on Matheson being a more useful player than Hornqvist, and Kahun has been an effective player his entire career prior to the last 7 games.

If you ask for change, it doesn't mean that you implicitly accept trading good players for bad returns. We've been doing a lot of that. You know change can consist of doing things like getting rid of Jack Johnson and not re-signing Evan Rodrigues. Getting rid of obvious problems and dead weight rather than irreplaceable talents.

Probably two 40-50 pt forwards which is what we got. Also, what other prospects did we move recently besides Hallander?

Imagine if we, now hear me out, kept them and used them both on an asset we truly needed.

A couple of 1sts and Poulin/Hallander gets you in a lot of conversations.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
The PP was trash last year and has mostly looked terrible this year (we're 4-2, have we looked like a good team?), I will happily take any bets on Matheson being a more useful player than Hornqvist, and Kahun has been an effective player his entire career prior to the last 7 games.

If you ask for change, it doesn't mean that you implicitly accept trading good players for bad returns. We've been doing a lot of that. You know change can consist of doing things like getting rid of Jack Johnson and not re-signing Evan Rodrigues. Getting rid of obvious problems and dead weight rather than irreplaceable talents.

I’m confused. We can’t judge Kahun on his sample, but we can judge our PP. Our powerplay has been terrible for a year +, but Hornqvist is a solution even though he was part of that PP. I understand the frustration but it seems like you want change, but you’re upset the change wasn’t better. The reality is many teams struggle with this. I’m sure Tampa would’ve preferred better players than Maroon or Goodrow in their bottom six, but that’s what they got.

Also, how was Hornqvist not moved for a need? Is a goal scoring defenseman that is solid in transitional play not something this team needed?

Imagine if we, now hear me out, kept them and used them both on an asset we truly needed.

I don’t see any piece moved in the last two calendar years as attractive as Zucker and Kapanen that went for a similar package.

Reactions: Peat

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

You think that's enough?

I think the next 10 1sts and 50% ownership of the Penguins would be good as well.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I mean, I don't really see most of our users being incorrect about things. More so just overweighing signings and impacts as well as not having perspective.

@Pens x's points were largely correct this summer. As is criticizing the Kapanen trade. The issue is when you compare it to what was potentially available and what we were trying to do you don't really have many options and you can't complain that JR and our roster are stale and not championship quality and then get upset when the GM tries to solve what hasn't been working.

It is why I get all over people about people pining for Kessel and Hornqvist in the post games while also saying how this team has been bad and Sullivan has been spent for years.

I don't get the folks who rag on fans for having negative thoughts about things the organization does, and equating it to "lol the average fan is stooopid anyways".

First, this is a message board to discuss those kinds of things. Second, I'd argue that our fanbase has been right in their criticism more than it's been wrong. And third, I'd argue people who blindly defend the club and act like just because JR/Sullivan have jobs in the NHL that means nothing they do is incorrect or stupid are the ones with questionable knowledge of the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad