OFF DAY THREAD! Where we complain on non game days!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I agree not many of these UDFAs ever hit (to a point where ZAR is one of the best), but OC’s sudden growth spurt and rapid development path is pretty intriguing. Don’t wanna get my hopes up but I’m with @Gurglesons

Oh indeed, there's reasons to be excited for him just to see how he does. I was just making a wisecrack as they are "similar" players with similar stories.

If O'Connor can turn into a ZAR, I'll be happy tbh.

A NHL caliber player for free is always a good thing.

I'm happier to see this, I think. It's been noticeably absent. Dangerous, like you said. But this team has the makeup to accomplish an active D - more active than it had been in recent years, anyway.

I think in terms of "activating the defense" they need to limit that to dmen jumping into the rush, the dmen willing to skate the puck out of the zone, or even including them in the cycle. In terms of pinching down as part of an overload strategy during a board battle? I can do without that at the moment given the number of odd-man rushes and out shakey goaltending.

He needs to put the puck in the net. Simple as that. He's has a common bottom 6 player type of game and we have a lot of the same skill sets already. Want to stay? Easy. Score.

Reactions: Hamurai

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
I just want to say how I love Blueger and Tanev. Fantastic textbook bottom6ers. We have a legit good 3rd line and legit good 1st line. 2nd line with potential to be a very good 2nd line as soon as Geno and Zucker get their shit together. On paper, this team should be very good, especially if POJ is legit and Marino gets back to his form (AKA gets away from Ceci).

But this team really should be fine. Jarry is the key as well.

Reactions: CrosbyMalkin

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Latest article from Yohe is get this..

JR patting himself on the back about how he is right and the fan base is wrong. Imagine that.

Think Yohe has a template for that?

Have you seen our fanbase? That's not a hard thing for JR to do, lol. The average knowledge here is about 3sigmas over the mean of the average fan...and the majority of people here are...well...

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018

JR patting himself on the back about how he is right and the fan base is wrong. Imagine that.

Read that. I feel like Yohe got that whole article in an email from the Pens PR team. Felt like something you’d read on Penguins.com

But you gotta love how JR just bought out JJ and is yapping about UFA signings.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
When this division gets into "The meat of the season" top players are not gonna miss so many wide open chances they have been. The team is playing Russian Roulette as @Jesse is stating about "Flying the zone too early" but even when they don't they have issues making the simple plays. Maybe looking/thinking the play too fast or just in a hurry when they don't need to be. Stuff like, having the puck roll offer their stick, or not putting enough air under the puck getting it out. I think Geno falls under the puck rolling off his stick trying to hurry up, is part of your Malkin nitpicks. In general just how much this stuff happens to the better players. Jake had that happen to him a few times. I almost want to label it a "Shearyism" because that's a lot what made him fall down. Himself out playing the puck and abruptly having to stop for the puck coming off his stick. Thing is, I understand it along the boards (stuff happens "snow") but in open ice this shouldn't be happening to star players with great puck handling skills. For some degree the opposition is at fault being aggressive. That's a huge great deployment by them because, they do it enough can make it seem like they (Pens players) don't have time to make plays and speed up their reactions. Part of why they're constantly peeking over their shoulders and rushing. Playing scared hockey.

That's the thing, there are guys who can play fast in their mind and not physically with the puck, and vice versus. Teams playing aggressive fast hard hockey will weed out who on your team can handle it and who can't. Those who keep looking over their shoulders are very much not in-tune with that kind of hockey. Scared hockey. Scared to play the puck to get injured, and scared to keep the puck on their stick looking and having it roll off their stick.

With this teams injury history and how teams play them, I totally understand. They have been outlasting teams barely to squeak out wins.

I think the team is built upon a lot of the same. I think that makes them more prone to neutralize their own brand of hockey. They can't really dish it out, and they get pulverized having to lean a lot more on the depth that isn't quite "up to snuff" like it used to be. Always ever changing.

When you are starting from scratch, that'll be even more apparent.

Maybe it's the type of players they are isolating on? Teams are not giving them a free pass. Much like having Rust and Zucker on the same line. Kapanen might bring that size and beef that line is looking for.

Look... Now I'm rambling like you said about yours leading astray into Malkin talk. I'll stop here. Sorry!:laugh:

Reactions: vodeni

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

I particularly enjoyed the argument of "I don't think I overpaid because if you don't overpay you don't get FAs".

He needs to put the puck in the net. Simple as that. He's has a common bottom 6 player type of game and we have a lot of the same skill sets already. Want to stay? Easy. Score.

Just dominating which direction the puck goes and avoiding being on ice for a bunch of goals would be a good step forwards. I'd like the production but it's not like his bottom 6 has been on point either.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Have you seen our fanbase? That's not a hard thing for JR to do, lol. The average knowledge here is about 3sigmas over the mean of the average fan...and the majority of people here are...well...

I mean, I don't really see most of our users being incorrect about things. More so just overweighing signings and impacts as well as not having perspective.

@Pens x's points were largely correct this summer. As is criticizing the Kapanen trade. The issue is when you compare it to what was potentially available and what we were trying to do you don't really have many options and you can't complain that JR and our roster are stale and not championship quality and then get upset when the GM tries to solve what hasn't been working.

It is why I get all over people about people pining for Kessel and Hornqvist in the post games while also saying how this team has been bad and Sullivan has been spent for years.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Like, I get that Tanev has been good for us, but he's a 25-30 pt guy being paid 3.5 mil for 4 more years after this one. Just such an arrogant take for a team that has looked like shit.

Pretty cool how he never seems to get hurt tho'.
Tanev, at least so far, is absolutely worth every penny. So far. Very important player. If he is ever overpaid, it´s probably by 0.5M or something. To have a good player, you either overpay or you spend other assets. I don´t mind overpaying a good player, if it´s just a little.

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Tanev, at least so far, is absolutely worth every penny. So far. Very important player. If he is ever overpaid, it´s probably by 0.5M or something. To have a good player, you either overpay or you spend other assets. I don´t mind overpaying a good player, if it´s just a little.

I don't think the issue with Tanev was ever going to be the first year or two.

The issue was going to be how it impacted our cap picture. If you don't think losing Kahun and Hornqvist is on the Tanev and Zucker contracts, I dunno what to say. And we still will see how else it effects us moving forward. I'm curious what happens if Blueger has a break out year. I'd sign Blueger to a cheap deal for term as soon as possible if I'm JR tbh.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
I don't think the issue with Tanev was ever going to be the first year or two.

The issue was going to be how it impacted our cap picture. If you don't think losing Kahun and Hornqvist is on the Tanev and Zucker contracts, I dunno what to say. And we still will see how else it effects us moving forward. I'm curious what happens if Blueger has a break out year. I'd sign Blueger to a cheap deal for term as soon as possible if I'm JR tbh.
Give me Tanev and Zucker over Kahun and Hornqvist tho. Easily. Tanev, in his current role, is a more effective asset than Hornqvist would be for us. And Zucker is easily better than Kahun, even though I hate his game lately (just a couple of games tho).

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Give me Tanev and Zucker over Kahun and Hornqvist tho. Easily. Tanev, in his current role, is a more effective asset than Hornqvist would be for us. And Zucker is easily better than Kahun, even though I hate his game lately (just a couple of games tho).

Yeah, I'd just remember what happen with Tanev last year. Played like a bat out of hell then had 0 points and was a total non-factor through like the last 40.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Like, I get that Tanev has been good for us, but he's a 25-30 pt guy being paid 3.5 mil for 4 more years after this one. Just such an arrogant take for a team that has looked like shit.

Pretty cool how he never seems to get hurt tho'.

It is arrogant. I think the bit that got me most was the "I don't think most people understand you got to pay in FA." Jim, that Informed Fan 101, and people are complaining because they wanted you to stay away from FA, not because they don't grasp the idea.

And while I don't think a whole lot of what's going on right now is Rutherford's immediate fault, and I get he has PR duties, I wish he showed a little more awareness of why people are complaining, because maybe his decisions would be better and maybe we wouldn't have a JJ buyout on the books until the end of the longest conceivable window.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
It is arrogant. I think the bit that got me most was the "I don't think most people understand you got to pay in FA." Jim, that Informed Fan 101, and people are complaining because they wanted you to stay away from FA, not because they don't grasp the idea.

And while I don't think a whole lot of what's going on right now is Rutherford's immediate fault, and I get he has PR duties, I wish he showed a little more awareness of why people are complaining, because maybe his decisions would be better and maybe we wouldn't have a JJ buyout on the books until the end of the longest conceivable window.

Or you know retain 2 mil on Bjugstad, have to move out Hornqvist for Matheson, thank the gods Marino came over despite him looking relatively awful analytically this year.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Idk I'm perfectly happy to pay Tanev $3.5 million a year :dunno:

His term sucks and I imagine years 4-6 of that deal may be ugly, but he's absolutely a $3.5 million player so far.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Or you know retain 2 mil on Bjugstad, have to move out Hornqvist for Matheson, thank the gods Marino came over despite him looking relatively awful analytically this year.

I don't think you can predict Bjugstad's injury, which really put the kybosh on getting out of that gracefully

I would also like to know what other offers were on the table for Hornqvist. I don't think we'd do much better than Matheson, but my guess is there was a bit of a better offer that Rutherford overlooked because he loved what was possible with Matheson's skating/size/skill combo, even if all the stats said "No touching". No proof, just a hunch based on the players Rutherford's gone crazy for.

Plus in both cases, pandemic.

But yes. There's a lot of bad decisions casting a shadow here.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I mean, I don't really see most of our users being incorrect about things. More so just overweighing signings and impacts as well as not having perspective.

@Pens x's points were largely correct this summer. As is criticizing the Kapanen trade. The issue is when you compare it to what was potentially available and what we were trying to do you don't really have many options and you can't complain that JR and our roster are stale and not championship quality and then get upset when the GM tries to solve what hasn't been working.

It is why I get all over people about people pining for Kessel and Hornqvist in the post games while also saying how this team has been bad and Sullivan has been spent for years.

The point is to improve, not make trades for trades' sake.

Neither of those trades made us better, directly or indirectly. Our PP's been in the shitter for over a year with no answer in sight, and Matheson already looks like a huge mistake while Hornqvist looks as good as ever. Then there's the Kahun for Sheary fiasco.

We've also thrown around 1st round picks without getting definitive answers to any significant problems we had. What could we have gotten for 2 1sts and some good prospects? We'll never know.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
The point is to improve, not make trades for trades' sake.

Neither of those trades made us better, directly or indirectly. Our PP's been in the shitter for over a year with no answer in sight, and Matheson already looks like a huge mistake while Hornqvist looks as good as ever. Then there's the Kahun for Sheary fiasco.

We've also thrown around 1st round picks without getting definitive answers to any significant problems we had. What could we have gotten for 2 1sts and some good prospects? We'll never know.

The Power Play is currently running at 27.8%, Matheson played a grand total of 2 games, and Kahun was an unqualified free agent in the summer who currently has 1 assist in 7 games for Edmonton.

Also, not every trade will work. We all know that. If you ask for change you have to accept it might get worse.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
My biggest criticism of Rutherford is him taking maybe the most perfect cap situation in the league and muddling it to hell.

He’s talking about adding a mega star in a year, we could’ve maybe done that or at least had the cap space to do so two years ago.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Not sure where else to put this, but Poulin and Legare are now teammates in junior after Val-d'Or acquired Poulin yesterday.

There is a prospects thread sticky’d at the top of our thread page. Thanks for posting the information though

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I don't think you can predict Bjugstad's injury, which really put the kybosh on getting out of that gracefully

I would also like to know what other offers were on the table for Hornqvist. I don't think we'd do much better than Matheson, but my guess is there was a bit of a better offer that Rutherford overlooked because he loved what was possible with Matheson's skating/size/skill combo, even if all the stats said "No touching". No proof, just a hunch based on the players Rutherford's gone crazy for.

I think in all likelihood Matheson was still the best offer, but once the scouts said that he was able to be turned around Rutherford just stopped negotiating and left multiple picks on the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->