OFF DAY THREAD! Where we complain on non game days!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Man I'm so happy the Pens won 3 Cups in this era. I say instead of watching the Washington game tomorrow, we just pop in a Stanley Cup DVD and call it a day.

I intend on finding other things to do on most game days until this team smartens up and realizes that, while not the only problem... the guy calling the shots behind the bench got ta go. Like... a year overdue, even.

Also do they practice today? I need my regular update on how hard Malkin Zucker and Rust are killing it in practice. Maybe I'll check the official site... they often will have a clip of a random player or coach telling Geno "man you guys are gonna totally do stuff this year!" After a few clips of guys shooting the puck in slow motion with like... Imagine Dragons playing in the background.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I'm curious what coach is out there that can watch this team and identify what would make them tick. I'd assume velucci is the next in line but i don't know much about him besides his ahl success.

That's the 2nd piece of the puzzle. :laugh: The first is we can CLEARLY (Isles/Montreal/end of 2020 season/now) that they lost Sully. I'd love to sit here and say they will listen to the next man up. That is not guaranteed.

So it's a gamble but I'll tell you what isn't a gamble, keeping Sully. That's a guarantee that they continue this pace.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Letang was on the ice for every goal against last night. All 5. Never seen anything like it. Lose 5-2. Everybody on the team is -1. Two players -2 and Letang is -4 and he was on the ice for the 1st pp goal. So your on the ice for every goal against. Do nothing to create goals. What do you do!!? Clear as day who the issue is. Every year same bullshit. But Murray was the issue lol and now it's Jarry. Never Letang and his horrible defense. I might have to boycott until he's gone. Enough is enough.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I intend on finding other things to do on most game days until this team smartens up and realizes that, while not the only problem... the guy calling the shots behind the bench got ta go. Like... a year overdue, even.

Also do they practice today? I need my regular update on how hard Malkin Zucker and Rust are killing it in practice. Maybe I'll check the official site... they often will have a clip of a random player or coach telling Geno "man you guys are gonna totally do stuff this year!" After a few clips of guys shooting the puck in slow motion with like... Imagine Dragons playing in the background.

Dude, AMEN. If i'm free, i'll watch the game. And most likely i'm free due to circumstances, but if the weather gets warm and someone says "Hey let's play some tennis tonight", i'm not saying no because of a Pens game. :laugh:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Dude, AMEN. If i'm free, i'll watch the game. And most likely i'm free due to circumstances, but if the weather gets warm and someone says "Hey let's play some tennis tonight", i'm not saying no because of a Pens game. :laugh:

I turned it off after the first period, last night. Even after their little rally. It's sad but you can tell how these things are going to end way early on for going on like 2 years, now. It simply isn't fun. I'd rather like... wrap cables, dust my bookshelves or fold socks or something. Nevermind actually going out and doing something with real live people and stuff.

I've held up my end for like 20+ years. They are obligated to do the same. I don't care if that sounds spoiled... that's the deal.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014

I’m right here too. I thought with COVID’s impact I would miss watching this team more but turns out I was wrong.

My interest in all professional sports has really dwindled in the last 10 months.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I’m right here too. I thought with COVID’s impact I would miss watching this team more but turns out I was wrong.

My interest in all professional sports has really dwindled in the last 10 months.

Yeah truthfully this has a lot to do with it, as well. I used to watch the Steelers and even the f***ing PIRATES pretty regularly. But those were the halcyon years where shit didn't matter, the world was boring and everything was more or less on the rails. It's easy to find distraction under such ideal conditions. Like you... the last year has really ripped the façade off and I find that I simply care about fulfilling other obligations and goals with my free time. Music alone handily takes precedent over ANY sport even hockey. And frankly at this point even dumb shit like 20 year old video games that hit me in the feels seem like a wiser time investment than the shit-tier hockey we've been sorta wading through off and on (more on) the last two seasons.

But in the end yeah I guess it's just getting older, the world getting more uncertain and shifting priorities.

I think MANY people are in the same boat. I have to wonder about the future landscape of professional sports a little bit.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

:laugh:

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I will hold out hope that this group with a new coach still has potential. Remember how they looked with Johnston?

This board has turned into a pity party. Nothing rational just doom and gloom.

I’m usually one to point out excessive whining, but people being down on this team is quite justifiable.

They are 4-13 in their last 17 games played... dropped their first two games already this season... they are 1-9 in their last ten playoff games....

Sully hasn’t shown he has a clue how to fix it... JR is a wild man with no actual sensible plan... and if they don’t figure shit out soon, JR just gave away a top ten pick.

Hopefully they turn it around, but believing they will do so is like when Steeler fans told me this year would be different in the playoffs with Tomlin.

All the same patterns were there with Tomlin and the Steelers just as they are there with Sully and the Pens.

What evidence is there things will get fixed, aside from a steadfast hope that they can?

Reactions: ncm7772 and Andy99

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I turned it off after the first period, last night. Even after their little rally. It's sad but you can tell how these things are going to end way early on for going on like 2 years, now. It simply isn't fun. I'd rather like... wrap cables, dust my bookshelves or fold socks or something. Nevermind actually going out and doing something with real live people and stuff.

I've held up my end for like 20+ years. They are obligated to do the same. I don't care if that sounds spoiled... that's the deal.

Idk how old you guys are, but I turned 35 this year. In my early 20s i would watch every sport and know everything. Then as you get to 25-35 you realize how f***ing worthless it is because it has no reciprocation. It's fun, but you can invest a lot less and still enjoy the fun. You realize how valuable time is and to be quite honest how vulnerable time can be as it can disappear like that.

And I think it was @Jaded-Fan who talked about it - but having just dinner conversations with your parents or friends is infinitely more valuable then passing up on stuff to watch some game that doesn't matter in the end. :laugh: I think that's why you see that evolution always of fans. And then people pick it back up when their kids love it because they can bond.

I am just saying - don't skip a potentially great evening with people or loved ones to watch a sport that doesn't give a f*** if you watch or not.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Idk how old you guys are, but I turned 35 this year. In my early 20s i would watch every sport and know everything. Then as you get to 25-35 you realize how f***ing worthless it is because it has no reciprocation. It's fun, but you can invest a lot less and still enjoy the fun. You realize how valuable time is and to be quite honest how vulnerable time can be as it can disappear like that.

And I think it was @Jaded-Fan who talked about it - but having just dinner conversations with your parents or friends is infinitely more valuable then passing up on stuff to watch some game that doesn't matter in the end. :laugh: I think that's why you see that evolution always of fans. And then people pick it back up when their kids love it because they can bond.

I am just saying - don't skip a potentially great evening with people or loved ones to watch a sport that doesn't give a f*** if you watch or not.

I'm a handful of years ahead of you. Will add to that pile of years in February ha.

15 years ago on this very board I used to spend countless hours simply tracking, researching and grading prospects. I've actually followed Malkin (among others) since they started making appearances on draft boards. I remember watching the dude at 18 in grainy KHL video highlight clips leaping over a goaltender to score a circus goal and thinking "well the future might at least brighter." Now here we are. It's weird and makes me feel old. And it also illustrates the gulf of time and changing attitudes from then til now. I could never imagine spending all that time these days on something I consider rather, well... pointless to my actual real life.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014

Yeah I’m going to be 30 this year. I have an emotional attachment to this era of the Pens that is hard to explain but I’m sure most people on this board understand.

I think getting older and this era coming to an end is playing a large part in my indifference. Plus you know COVID.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Here we go......or is it a forced change and McCann got suspended

Edit: I mean yeah he probably gets a game. Not a lot of force is the thing that saves him from missing more time

Last edited:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
If I was the DOPS I would suspend McCann for that elbow.

Yeah I hate to say it but he probably deserves some games for that.

Also I see they are sticking with the greatest second line to ever scrimmage. I need slow mo highlights set to horrible music and canned sound bites and I need them now.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
So here is the thing... in today's world of concussions, I fully think McCann should be suspended one game. But I also think that should be CONSISTENT penalty. It looked on purpose and we want that out of the game. But we know... the NHL will NEVER be consistent.

I'd like a more black/white head hit policy.
- Verbal Warning
- Warning
- 1 Game suspension
- 5 Game suspension
- _______________

That's not perfect but it is something.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
giphy.gif

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia

Just download the games after and avoid spoilers. I live on the west coast where no one talks about the Pens so it's pretty easy.

In fact I prefer D/L'd games because then I can skip intermissions and tedious shit like the 15 seconds from zone clearances by the opposition on the PK, to the Pens lugging it back up ice and trying to get a successful zone entry. Probably save an hour. Can backtrack if I need a 2nd look at something.

I would never pass up a friend/family meeting for a Pens game. Not even for playoffs.

The only downside is I need to carefully grab the file without seeing the file size and I have to open the file without seeing the duration. :laugh:
Having done this many times, I can tell if a game went to OT and that ruins everything.

Reactions: ColePens

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
So here is the thing... in today's world of concussions, I fully think McCann should be suspended one game. But I also think that should be CONSISTENT penalty. It looked on purpose and we want that out of the game. But we know... the NHL will NEVER be consistent.

I'd like a more black/white head hit policy.
- Verbal Warning
- Warning
- 1 Game suspension
- 5 Game suspension
- _______________

That's not perfect but it is something.

Look at “Point System” for how they do it in Aussie Rules. It’s for everything not just head.

If it’s a really bad play it can go straight to a committee hearing where you’re probably getting 5 weeks minimum if guilty

AFL Tribunal - Wikipedia

Reactions: ColePens
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad