OFF DAY THREAD! Jeff Carter Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
I think the Pens and Bruins are very evenly matched overall. Hall has unquestionably made the Bruins better, but frankly, I think Carter has improved the Pens in equal measure. Boston is probably the toughest team to face in the division, but I doubt they're jazzed at the prospect of having to play Pittsburgh either. Both teams are formidable and playing really well overall - I give the Pens a slight advantage on offense and Boston a slight advantage on defense. IMO, that series would be a crapshoot.

Conversely, I think the Pens would stomp the Islanders. Then again, that's what I said last time they played the Islanders in a series...
Home ice is a pretty significant advantage here too, and I'm glad we don't have to play them in the first round when Geno isn't fully up to speed yet, Tanev is day to day and Matheson is wearing a bubble. Don't want to look past the NYI, but that's a better first round opponent to get going on than facing BOS, especially after our long layoff before the playoffs.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
He will be the 13th F in case on injury, and let's be honest, if this is a long run we will need him.

Of course! 100%. He will have his chance to shine. We will have injuries or someone won't perform.

I mean, I love Gaudreau, but if his play dips, he'll sit.

E-Rod or ZAR for the 4th line. Either one works, but Sully exists so it'll be ZAR.

ZAR is one of the best defensive forwards in the league, he won't and should not be sat. You have a problem when you try to play him in a top-6 role. He is perfect for his role on L4 and the PK. Absolutely no reason to sit him for a guy like EROD.

To be honest, the only competition is EROD vs Gaudreau. Pretty much the rest of the forward group is set.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Boston and PIT are evenly matched on the ice. The issue is the mental game here.

I read a Boston article saying they'd rather the Capitals as an opponent.

So it looks like Boston doesnt prefer Pitt and Pitt doesn't prefer Boston.

A take from the article is:
Would you (I suppose from a fan perspective) rather the scoring threat of the penguins or the big bodied bruiser game (but also scoring threat) of the capitals....

Not sure what the motive is behind it... ie they are most likely playing the capitals anyway... etc..

rick6668

Jan 22, 2013
Rochester, NY

Would you (I suppose from a fan perspective) rather the scoring threat of the penguins or the big bodied bruiser game (but also scoring threat) of the capitals....

Not sure what the motive is behind it... ie they are most likely playing the capitals anyway... etc..

Likely because the Capitals of the first round are likely to be an easier opponent than the Capitals of round 2.
If the Caps get through round 1, they are likely to be healthier in Round 2.

Reactions: LOGiK

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
@KIRK and I were DMing each other about how good Guentzel - Malkin - Rust is.

During our discussion.. I looked up this stat.

HBK in the regular season in 15-16 combined for 12 GF - 3 GA in 21 GPs and 144 5v5 minutes

McCann - Carter in the regular season have combined for 15 GF - 4 GA in 14GPs and 155 5v5 minutes.

The possession numbers and shot metrics are a little less friendly to McCann - Carter, but they are also are not getting the luxurious starts and usage that HBK did.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

HBK in the regular season in 15-16 combined for 12 GF - 3 GA in 21 GPs and 144 5v5 minutes

McCann - Carter in the regular season have combined for 15 GF - 4 GA in 14GPs and 155 5v5 minutes.

The possession numbers and shot metrics are a little less friendly to McCann - Carter, but they are also are not getting the luxurious starts and usage that HBK did.

McCann-Carter just needs a third wheel that complements them.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Gaudreau and Zucker have both been very good.

I love what Gaudreau's brought in his short time here, but I'm always leery of expecting a career AHLer to continue to perform like he has over a larger sample size.

And Zucker's not moving away from Malkin for long stretches. Let's be honest.

Reactions: ncm7772

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

I really hope BART plays like it can. It opens up so much for the rest of the forward group.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Gaudreau and Zucker have both been very good.

Won't happen of course but if Geno's skating remains an issue, Zucker with McCann-Carter, GOAT centering ZAR-Tanev, and Blueger centering Kap with Malkin on LW could be an inspired coaching call as a Plan B at some point.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I love what Gaudreau's brought in his short time here, but I'm always leery of expecting a career AHLer to continue to perform like he has over a larger sample size.

And Zucker's not moving away from Malkin for long stretches. Let's be honest.

GOAT’s played like this for awhile now with an injury inbetween. I’m not gonna like re-sign the guy long term, but I’m pretty confident he’ll be good in the playoffs.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Won't happen of course but if Geno's skating remains an issue, Zucker with McCann-Carter, GOAT centering ZAR-Tanev, and Blueger centering Kap with Malkin on LW could be an inspired coaching call as a Plan B at some point.

I understand Sullivan going with BART but if it blows, definitely would like to see a creative move like that.

Reactions: KIRK

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
McCann-Carter have had three different linemates now and kicked butt with all of them. I don't worry about that line's third wheel; just maybe what their impact on the rest of the line up is...

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I understand Sullivan going with BART but if it blows, definitely would like to see a creative move like that.

« creative move » and Sullivan...something you never hear uttered in the same sentence...

Reactions: KIRK

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015

The Caps are in disarray right now. Wilson fiasco aside, they have been so depleted and stuck up against the cap that they haven't been icing a full roster the past few games.

Now, the injuries, covid quarantining and cap issues should clear up or at least significantly improve before game 1, but the fact remains they are backing into the playoffs while we are round into form as a fully operational battle station. I'd rather play WAS if I was them too. Honestly I might take them over NYI right now.

Reactions: LOGiK

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Boston and PIT are evenly matched on the ice. The issue is the mental game here.
Pittsburgh has a pretty significant edge in depth now that we got Carter. The mental aspect I can buy to some degree, but a big win in game one by Pittsburgh could help dispel that.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Gaudreau hadn’t looked out of place there

Small sample size (about 40 mins 5v5) but oh so impressive when you consider the zone starts. I assume they won't keep up the on-ice S% :laugh:

GF - 6
GA - 0

GF% - 100%
xGF% - 59%
On-ice S% - 30% :bow:
Offensive Zone Face-off starts - 25%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad