OFF DAY THREAD! Jeff Carter Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
no, sounds like he’s saying they did the passive NZ clog in game one and it worked...the more aggressive forecheck game was game 2
I still think a guy like Tanev will help because he can single handedly disrupt the B's breakout. And if we stack four guys across the blue line there's not much in the way of them gaining momentum or coming with speed.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I still think a guy like Tanev will help because he can single handedly disrupt the B's breakout. And if we stack four guys across the blue line there's not much in the way of them gaining momentum or coming with speed.

well having more speed to chase down pucks always helps, but it sounds like Jesse is saying that we should play the Bs more like how the Isles play...which is not surprising given that their physicality is likely to win more forecheck battles than ours....maybe the best way to beat them is just not to engage them as they’re built to be engaged...

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
well having more speed to chase down pucks always helps, but it sounds like Jesse is saying that we should play the Bs more like how the Isles play...which is not surprising given that their physicality is likely to win more forecheck battles than ours....maybe the best way to beat them is just not to engage them as they’re built to be engaged...
It's like a passive NZT. I get it, we counterattack off of their turnovers. And if they're forced to dump the puck in Jarry could help mitigate their forecheck. We just have to steadfast stay in our lanes, be patient and remain structured and disciplined.

The thing I like about Sully is once we gain possession our stars are able to freelance a lot in the offensive end. Carter sort of alluded to that himself.

Reactions: Andy99

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
One of those teams was the Islanders, who are 4-4-2 in their last 10. And, by the way, who the Penguins are 6-2 against this year and who the Penguins have their second best goals against average versus.
...with most of those Isles games involving a NY team with Anders Lee and a Pittsburgh team without Jeff Carter (and whatever other smattering of injured Penguins were out there). I am very comfortable with a Isles matchup. Trotz is a great coach, but he's lost more than he's won against the Pens.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Barry Trotz is a giant perpetually confused toe.

Anyhow, my main worry with Tanev isn’t him giving his all, it’s that he’s going to explode his shoulder if it’s not properly healed. :laugh:

Since the WB/S Pens don’t have a postseason, do we still have to name those players to the taxi squad/roster for the big club playoffs in case we need depth? I’m a bit fuzzy on the rules this year.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Vs Boston trapping probably works.... they have a miserable record vs it.... they wanted no part of the isles

in all honesty our d and our goalie are well suited for it.... we don’t have guys who play fantastic in their own end but they do prevent entry pretty well when they are trying to....

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Against Boston they have to just stop one line. They have to get Crosby the f*** away from Bergeron and Bergeron's line has to be net 0 in the goal differential. They do that, they win.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Against Boston they have to just stop one line. They have to get Crosby the f*** away from Bergeron and Bergeron's line has to be net 0 in the goal differential. They do that, they win.

This was more of a plan before they got Taylor Hall and their 2nd line went ballistic.

Reactions: Trade and Al Smith

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

Disagree with their addition of Hall. Their second line is providing the depth scoring they desperately needed. The question will be, can they overcome the defensive uncertainties and can goaltending bail them out when needed. I believe the answer is yes but that doesn't mean a loss is a foregone conclusion. With Boston, it's a straight down-the-line comparison. L1 vs L1, L2 vs L2, L3 and L4 vs L3 and L4, defense vs defense, and goalie vs goalie. Each night, we have to win the matchup to win. Each night, they have to win the matchups to win.

The success we have in the playoffs will simply come down to Crosby and Malkin giving a shit. Last two years, they didn't. Crosby played with a level of disinterest that made it seem like he was sending a message to Sully, JR, or maybe even Mario. There was zero passion, zero hustle, and only a vague buy-in to a system.

They have the personnel and system to win. They know what to do. Question is, do they care enough to do what needs to be done?

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
Disagree with their addition of Hall. Their second line is providing the depth scoring they desperately needed. The question will be, can they overcome the defensive uncertainties and can goaltending bail them out when needed. I believe the answer is yes but that doesn't mean a loss is a foregone conclusion. With Boston, it's a straight down-the-line comparison. L1 vs L1, L2 vs L2, L3 and L4 vs L3 and L4, defense vs defense, and goalie vs goalie. Each night, we have to win the matchup to win. Each night, they have to win the matchups to win.

The success we have in the playoffs will simply come down to Crosby and Malkin giving a shit. Last two years, they didn't. Crosby played with a level of disinterest that made it seem like he was sending a message to Sully, JR, or maybe even Mario. There was zero passion, zero hustle, and only a vague buy-in to a system.

They have the personnel and system to win. They know what to do. Question is, do they care enough to do what needs to be done?

Takes like this just leave me scratching my head.

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
I can see how you would think that if you didn't watch either the Isle or Montreal series. Those that did, know.

Right, because the immediate assumption is that those that disagree with your view didn't watch the series. Not a very robust defense of your view. There was a lot going on in that series, and the Pens playoffs chances have always come down to a lot more than Crosby and Malkin 'caring.' Or whatever that means. It's a nice built in excuse for organizational incompetence and/or bench mismanagement though. Those two are 34 and 33 respectively and not getting any younger. You're gonna have to come up with something better at some point, right? They won't be around forever.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
This was more of a plan before they got Taylor Hall and their 2nd line went ballistic.

*Puffs up chest*

This is exactly why I said Hall could be a Kessel-like addition for a team that acquires him. Some folks seemed convinced he was terrible or wouldn't add anything based on his Buffalo performance, but as we're seeing that's simply not the case. He's still an elite player who will provide great secondary scoring as long as he's not the #1 guy on a team (aka Kessel).

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
I'm going to relax during these upcoming days before my nerves become a total wreck during the playoffs. Didn't have any expectations the past couple of years but this year is different.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
*Puffs up chest*

This is exactly why I said Hall could be a Kessel-like addition for a team that acquires him. Some folks seemed convinced he was terrible or wouldn't add anything based on his Buffalo performance, but as we're seeing that's simply not the case. He's still an elite player who will provide great secondary scoring as long as he's not the #1 guy on a team (aka Kessel).

Did you see he's a +14 at 5v5 since getting there? That's actually insane.

It's been the perfect landing spot for him and I just hope his performance persuades some western contender to pony him up for him in FA so he stays the hell away from us.

Reactions: Sidney the Kidney

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013

There's no evidence we have a winning system. When you look back at teams that underperform in the playoffs, they look like ours. A winning system would look like us dominating possession and winning even when we're getting unlucky. That's not what's happening.

We're objectively relying on taking advantage of more of our chances than our opponents and hoping our goalies outperform theirs. We don't have a system that gives us more or better chances than our opponents. If we go nowhere in the playoffs, it's 100% on Sully.

What I do agree with is that if we're winning, it's going to look like 2017 - Sid, Guentzel, Geno scoring a million points and our goalies going like .940 and our better opponents being so injured they can't keep up.

Last edited:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
There's no evidence we have a winning system. When you look back at teams that underperform in the playoffs, they look like ours. A winning system would look like us dominating possession and winning even when we're getting unlucky. That's not what's happening.

We're objectively relying on taking advantage of more of our chances than our opponents and hoping our goalies outperform theirs. We don't have a system that gives us more or better chances than our opponents.

What I do agree with is that if we're winning, it's going to look like 2017 - Sid, Guentzel, Geno scoring a million points and our goalies going like .940 and our better opponents being so injured they can't keep up.

why would this be the case? Our depth is incredible compared to that team?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Nah. Agree with 1776. The issue with those two is NEVER caring. At least not in the playoffs.
Thinking so is lazy and not a little stupid/disrespectful, IMO.

So would the argument then be: Sid and Malkin pulled their weight they way they were expected do and depth/support let us down? I would highly disagree with that premise.

Fact is, like in any other seasons past, this team will live and die on Sid and Geno and based on the support they get. If they lay an egg, the team lays an egg. We have a cast that supports those two. We don't have a case that can carry the load in spite of them.

If they aren't engaged and giving 110%, were aren't getting anywhere.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

We're objectively relying on taking advantage of more of our chances than our opponents and hoping our goalies outperform theirs. We don't have a system that gives us more or better chances than our opponents. If we go nowhere in the playoffs, it's 100% on Sully.

I don't think the results support this. So going 25-7-2 in the last 34 is just a continue series of moments of us "getting lucky" and the other teams continuously getting "unlucky"?

Sure.

Reactions: CascadiaPenguin

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
So would the argument then be: Sid and Malkin pulled their weight they way they were expected do and depth/support let us down? I would highly disagree with that premise.

Fact is, like in any other seasons past, this team will live and die on Sid and Geno and based on the support they get. If they lay an egg, the team lays an egg. We have a cast that supports those two. We don't have a case that can carry the load in spite of them.

If they aren't engaged and giving 110%, were aren't getting anywhere.

Which is what makes Sullivan's line combinations especially peculiar.

Reactions: Andy99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad