OFF DAY THREAD! Jeff Carter Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Western Conference is going to be represented by someone from the West Conference. Neither Toronto or Edmonton can beat Colorado or Vegas.
There is no East/West in the playoffs this year.

The first round and quarterfinals are divisional. The winners of each divisional playoff group will then be seeded in order of regular season points for the semifinals. The two winners of that group will play for the Stanley Cup.

It's entirely possible, for example, that the Stanley Cup will be decided between the Lightning and Penguins.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
@Jesse with a really cool explainer regarding the Pens PK issues:

Shorthand (and I hope I'm not losing anything in translation), the Pens play a wedge +1 PK, where three low guys are in a triangle to keep guys out of the high danger scoring areas down low and the +1 kind of rotates high to harass and keep the play high. What's happening is teams are working the puck to behind the blueline and setting guys up in the slot in what Jesse calls a 'gray area', where the forward in the triangle, following his role in the movement, is too low/off to the side, and the +1 is too high to cover that guy in the slot.

Really worth the view if you have the 10 minutes, because it sounds to me like other teams have scouted a weakness in the Pens PK structure where either the coaching staff hasn't addressed who's responsible in the 'gray area' OR the players aren't getting it right OR it's a systemic issue. Curious as to Jesse's thoughts on that one . . .

Reactions: Peat

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Shorthand (and I hope I'm not losing anything in translation), the Pens play a wedge +1 PK, where three low guys are in a triangle to keep guys out of the high danger scoring areas down low and the +1 kind of rotates high to harass and keep the play high. What's happening is teams are working the puck to behind the blueline and setting guys up in the slot in what Jesse calls a 'gray area', where the forward in the triangle, following his role in the movement, is too low/off to the side, and the +1 is too high to cover that guy in the slot.

Really worth the view if you have the 10 minutes, because it sounds to me like other teams have scouted a weakness in the Pens PK structure where either the coaching staff hasn't addressed who's responsible in the 'gray area' OR the players aren't getting it right OR it's a systemic issue. Curious as to Jesse's thoughts on that one . . .

I kind of chuckled at the fact the PK is *supposed* to take away the high danger chances, yet it seems like every goal scored against the Pens is some guy wide open in the slot.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
I kind of chuckled at the fact the PK is *supposed* to take away the high danger chances, yet it seems like every goal scored against the Pens is some guy wide open in the slot.
i ran that with a team i coached......but that was because they were a bunch of kid's that couldn't skate. so three of them didn't need to move much and the one kid that could skate covered the points....but i thought that we had a team of fast skaters. :laugh:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
i ran that with a team i coached......but that was because they were a bunch of kid's that couldn't skate. so three of them didn't need to move much and the one kid that could skate covered the points....but i thought that we had a team of fast skaters. :laugh:

I mean, I can't speak directly to the X's and O's of whether that scheme can actually be effective. I just find it funny that a scheme that's entire purpose seems to be about giving up the perimeter in favor of taking away the danger area, just so happens to give up a ridiculous amount of goals in the danger area.

It would be like a team trying to play the 90's Devils trap, yet constantly giving up odd man breaks. It seems so counter to what the scheme is supposed to be achieving.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
I mean, I can't speak directly to the X's and O's of whether that scheme can actually be effective. I just find it funny that a scheme that's entire purpose seems to be about giving up the perimeter in favor of taking away the danger area, just so happens to give up a ridiculous amount of goals in the danger area.

It would be like a team trying to play the 90's Devils trap, yet constantly giving up odd man breaks. It seems so counter to what the scheme is supposed to be achieving.
even the best plans need the players to execute it. there dose seem to be a short in the system.:laugh:

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

The break down is two players going to the same man with the puck.

Both Dumo and Ceci, and the next one was both Gaudreau and Marino going to the same guy. Gaudreau set that play up by chasing too far out to the point. Why? Let him waste time and stay in his lane and force him to pass, move or shoot from the blueline.

There's a good reason to keep a nice tight box. Chase only when those bobbles present itself. He took himself out of position for no good reason.

Reactions: madinsomniac

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I’ve always been a fan of high pressure pk’s. I figure if you’re gonna let one up, at least make them earn it.

That style seems to really f*** with our group when another team runs it.
We've got the guys to do it too. Tanev, Blueger, Kapanen, Rust, Zucker, etc.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
Still love what Matheson adds to this team more than what Hornqvist could add at this time. I will take the 26 year old defenseman who is literally one of they fastest defenseman in the NHL and just starting to be let lose offensively over the mid 30's slow winger that wasn't going to play in our top 6. Glad he is doing well now but he wasn't a good fit on this team anymore. His line was by far our worst in that playoff series. If he isn't going to play with Crosby or Malkin he needed to go.

Matheson is going to be an important player for this team over these last few Cup runs. The whole defensive unit has really stepped up their game over these last 20 games and have all put up a ton of points over that stretch. I see that offensive output continuing from this point forward. Todd has down a nice job with this group and even Dumoulin looks like Coffey lately.

Considering how horrible our D was last year, this year is a big change. Matheson/Ceci both gambles, but seem to have paid off.
Not to mention POJ lurking around.

As long as we use them correctly, they could really be a longish term solution.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Considering how horrible our D was last year, this year is a big change. Matheson/Ceci both gambles, but seem to have paid off.
Not to mention POJ lurking around.

As long as we use them correctly, they could really be a longish term solution.
including a trade or two to help other areas of need.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Can Sully not use Carter on RW until Geno comes back when Carter will eventually center L3?

I like McCann better at L2 C

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Guess that’s the last we’ve seen of Zohorna...

PensX special. Again, GOAT/Tanev/Geno/Kappy make L4 insanity a moot point.

Also this game is a coinflip to be played tonight either way, given the Chauvin trial. Not to get political, but just a practical reality that some sh1t may start to go down this afternoon/evening.

Reactions: Colonel Mustard

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Picking on Sceviour may be strange, but he's weirdly getting in night after night and I think he should be rotating in/out.

What's up with Sullivan when it comes to that?

He doesn't seem to rotate on merit like... ever.

I feel like injuries make every single one of his lineup adjustments for him.

Reactions: The Old Master
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad