Of those 5 teams, which one would you sign with if you're Matthews?

Which team will Matthews sign with?

• Anaheim

Votes: 24 9.6%
  • Arizona

Votes: 67 26.9%
  • Detroit

Votes: 47 18.9%
  • Los Angeles

Votes: 99 39.8%
  • Seattle

Votes: 12 4.8%

• Total voters

TheRumble

Feb 19, 2009
What would it mean to him since he's American? Endorsements in a small nation mean nothing and he's taxed on it.

LA and New York have similar taxes to Toronto and less endorsement opportunities. Matthews has an endorsement with Apple, Mastercard, Adidas. He's not getting that in New York or LA where they don't care about hockey.

Secondly, the Leafs probably don't occupy the same headspace to American hockey fans as Canadian ones but everyone who remotely is interested in hockey knows the Leafs title drought. Ending that drought pretty much immortalizes you in the sport. It's like the Red Sox in 2004 or Cubs in 2016. Those titles mean a lot more to baseball than the 2002 Angels.

Even Leaf haters here would have to admit this.

BeatenLikeRentedMule

Mar 9, 2016
Super Mario Land
LA and New York have similar taxes to Toronto and less endorsement opportunities. Matthews has an endorsement with Apple, Mastercard, Adidas. He's not getting that in New York or LA where they don't care about hockey.

Secondly, the Leafs probably don't occupy the same headspace to American hockey fans as Canadian ones but everyone who remotely is interested in hockey knows the Leafs title drought. Ending that drought pretty much immortalizes you in the sport. It's like the Red Sox in 2004 or Cubs in 2016. Those titles mean a lot more to baseball than the 2002 Angels.

Even Leaf haters here would have to admit this.
If, like you say, hockey is nothing in the US, then Leafs are no where near the Sox or Cubs outside Canada. Getting them a Cup will make him a local legend but nothing beyond that, even among hockey fans that live outside the Toronto area.

That said, I still don't see how Matthews should care. He was raised in Arizona, played hockey there, likely followed the Coyotes, likely wasn't a Leafs fan. I also doubt the dudes spending his life in Toronto.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

TheRumble

Feb 19, 2009
If, like you say, hockey is nothing in the US, then Leafs are no where near the Sox or Cubs outside Canada. Getting them a Cup will make him a local legend but nothing beyond that, even among hockey fans that live outside the Toronto area.

That said, I still don't see how Matthews should care. He was raised in Arizona, played hockey there, likely followed the Coyotes, likely wasn't a Leafs fan. I also doubt the dudes spending his life in Toronto.
The Leafs don't occupy the same headspace to Americans as they do to Canadians but they're still a prestige team in the league. You end a title drought in Toronto, you are forever immortalized in hockey lore. It's ridiculous to argue otherwise.

Whether or not Matthews wants that, I dunno but he's a guy that seeks out attention with his GQ pieces so it's a fair assessment. If he wants to go back to being a relatively anonymous but rich guy pretty much any American city in the sunbelt or NYC would be fine for him.

MoneyManny

Jun 28, 2021

You think he prefers to play in a university barn rather than be a legend in one of the 2 hockey holy lands? Imo there's probably nothing more deflating to a hockey player than the idea of playing for the Coyotes.

BeatenLikeRentedMule

Mar 9, 2016
Super Mario Land
You think he prefers to play in a university barn rather than be a legend in one of the 2 hockey holy lands? Imo there's probably nothing more deflating to a hockey player than the idea of playing for the Coyotes.

I think you over-estimate Toronto's importance in North American hockey.

If he plays for the Coyotes, they won't continue being a joke for long. It's better than Ottawa or Winnipeg in my opinion.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

BeatenLikeRentedMule

Mar 9, 2016
Super Mario Land
The Leafs don't occupy the same headspace to Americans as they do to Canadians but they're still a prestige team in the league. You end a title drought in Toronto, you are forever immortalized in hockey lore. It's ridiculous to argue otherwise.

Whether or not Matthews wants that, I dunno but he's a guy that seeks out attention with his GQ pieces so it's a fair assessment. If he wants to go back to being a relatively anonymous but rich guy pretty much any American city in the sunbelt or NYC would be fine for him.

Nobody cares about the Leafs in America, not even hockey fans. The team is just a joke that people look at as the epitome of mismanagement and futility. I don't think even other Canadian cities, outside of boomers who witnessed them winning 55 years ago, consider the franchise prestigious.

If he's in NYC, he will get some recognition. Even Messier got some recognition playing there. Hell, James Neal had his pick of women during his time with the Penguins.

Especially with the NHL back on ESPN, they do get a lot more recognition.

MoneyManny

Jun 28, 2021
I think you over-estimate Toronto's importance in North American hockey.

If he plays for the Coyotes, they won't continue being a joke for long. It's better than Ottawa or Winnipeg in my opinion.
You're not wrong here i can't lie. I think you underestimate the importance of a hockey club inside it's market in Canada though.

In Toronto i'm sure Matthews is the most famous and popular guy in town, he's the king of the entire province. What is he in Arizona, a 3rd rate minor celebrity?

TheRumble

Feb 19, 2009
Nobody cares about the Leafs in America, not even hockey fans. The team is just a joke that people look at as the epitome of mismanagement and futility. I don't think even other Canadian cities, outside of boomers who witnessed them winning 55 years ago, consider the franchise prestigious.

If he's in NYC, he will get some recognition. Even Messier got some recognition playing there. Hell, James Neal had his pick of women during his time with the Penguins.

Especially with the NHL back on ESPN, they do get a lot more recognition.

Toronto is the reason the NHL exists. Just because you got your panties in a bunch about it doesn't change the fact that it means more to hockey fans to have a Leafs cup.

Just the fact that you're getting so emotional over a fairly universal fact is kinda proves it.

Last edited:

BeatenLikeRentedMule

Mar 9, 2016
Super Mario Land
Toronto is the reason the NHL exists. Just because you got your panties in a bunch about it doesn't change the fact that it means more to hockey fans to have a Leafs cup.

I doubt it's the reason the league exists and the last 20 years have been good play offs with little participation by the Leafs.

Leafs didn't even do well on TNT broadcasts this year. But keep thinking they're so important cause it's why your fanbase is the joke here.

BeatenLikeRentedMule

Mar 9, 2016
Super Mario Land
You're not wrong here i can't lie. I think you underestimate the importance of a hockey club inside it's market in Canada though.

In Toronto i'm sure Matthews is the most famous and popular guy in town, he's the king of the entire province. What is he in Arizona, a 3rd rate minor celebrity?

He won't be idolized in Arizona. But they could be a more successful team should the Leafs fail to win anything the remainder of his contract. A winning team does wonders for US cities.

TheRumble

Feb 19, 2009
I doubt it's the reason the league exists and the last 20 years have been good play offs with little participation by the Leafs.

Leafs didn't even do well on TNT broadcasts this year. But keep thinking they're so important cause it's why your fanbase is the joke here.

Who cares what HFBoards thinks?

HFBoards is a niche message board filled with old people the who are hopelessly out of touch. The opinions of many of you have here were out of date 5 years ago.

The only value this message board has to the hockey community is the Prospects Board. None of you guys have a clue about hockey and it's place in the cultural landscape.

BeatenLikeRentedMule

Mar 9, 2016
Super Mario Land

HFBoards is a niche message board filled with old people the who are hopelessly out of touch. The opinions of many of you have here were out of date 5 years ago.

The only value this message board has to the hockey community is the Prospects Board. None of you guys have a clue about hockey and it's place in the cultural landscape.
I wasn't even talking about this forum the last post. It was about US rating for games with the Leafs on Turner Network Television. LOL.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Why isnt there a re-sign in Toronto option? Swear I never see these type of threads pop up for other Superstars in the league.
Can't wait till he can re-sign in Toronto so we can finally put this to bed

This board is just overly filled with biased and hateful people

TheRumble

Feb 19, 2009
I wasn't even talking about this forum the last post. It was about US rating for games with the Leafs on Turner Network Television. LOL.

The Lightning Leafs series in America was the second most watched first round series. This is just another example of how salty Leaf haters here can't view the sport objectively.

Sad.

TheRumble

Feb 19, 2009
Why isnt there a re-sign in Toronto option? Swear I never see these type of threads pop up for other Superstars in the league.
Can't wait till he can re-sign in Toronto so we can finally put this to bed

This board is just overly filled with biased and hateful people

It's sad really. The hockey talk on this forum get bogged down because everyone is obsessed with us. These people could learn a thing or two from the best fans in hockey.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
It's sad really. The hockey talk on this forum get bogged down because everyone is obsessed with us. These people could learn a thing or two from the best fans in hockey.
imo there are best fans in hockey doesnt belong to a single team. everyone has great to obnoxious fans.
seems to be a pile of people who shit on the leafs just for the sake of it.

BeatenLikeRentedMule

Mar 9, 2016
Super Mario Land
Most patient and dedicated fans. Best fans is hard to say. It's not like your team has accomplished anything since the late 60s and yet you think that makes them prestigious. What, since 67, makes the Leafs any different than the rest of the league besides constant failure?

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I think he resigns, but to humour the thread - LA. It's close enough to his home, they are somewhat competitive, and it's a destination city.

You think he's just going to quit playing hockey altogether? That would be surprising. It happens in Football because of the CTE risk...but there's really only been a handful of NHL caliber hockey players who have just up and resigned from the professional game. And they usually have some other stuff going on in their life.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
You think he's just going to quit playing hockey altogether? That would be surprising. It happens in Football because of the CTE risk...but there's really only been a handful of NHL caliber hockey players who have just up and resigned from the professional game. And they usually have some other stuff going on in their life.
Totally! He's won all he needs to. 60 goal season, Hart, Lindsay, Rocket. Go out on a high note ya know, ultimate flex

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Arizona.

He goes home.

He makes things exciting in Arizona.

He maybe....just maybe....makes hockey interesting to Arizonans

weinsink

Feb 8, 2018
This is IF he goes to free agency!!
If you were him, which of those 5 teams would you sign with?

Picked these 5 teams because they will have a fair bit of high end prospects, a lot of cap space and money to offer him.
From one hockey dump to another!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad