Of those 5 teams, which one would you sign with if you're Matthews?

Which team will Matthews sign with?

• Anaheim

Votes: 24 9.6%
  • Arizona

Votes: 67 26.9%
  • Detroit

Votes: 47 18.9%
  • Los Angeles

Votes: 99 39.8%
  • Seattle

Votes: 12 4.8%

• Total voters

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
What if there are 2 more first round exits?

In Yzermans first 10 years the Wings didn't accomplish much in the post season (made it out of the first round twice) but he never pushed to leave. Avs didn't break out until Sakics 8th year; he stayed put.

Players want to win, sure, but they also know it can take time.

BeatenLikeRentedMule

Mar 9, 2016
Super Mario Land
If he's wired the way I think he is. Toronto. You make more money and it means more to win here than anywhere else.

Winning a Cup in Toronto would make you a literal hockey legend. A Toronto Cup would be the equivalent of the Cubs World Series ring.

If he just wants to chase money, it'd also be Toronto. Matthews makes an additional $4 million on endorsement deals.

If he wants to go home, Arizona obviously.

If he wants to live in a city that is great for the wealthy but be anonymous while doing so LA or NYC.

Those other cities in the poll make zero sense.
What would it mean to him since he's American? Endorsements in a small nation mean nothing and he's taxed on it.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
In Yzermans first 10 years the Wings didn't accomplish much in the post season (made it out of the first round twice) but he never pushed to leave. Avs didn't break out until Sakics 8th year; he stayed put.

Players want to win, sure, but they also know it can take time.

I know....my comment was a bit of commentary on people spouting off about McDavid.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Again-

I lived in metro Detroit my whole life. It is not a shit hole. That narrative is old and needs to die.

Even if it was all a shithole, don't most of the Wings players just end up living in like Ann Arbor and stuff anyway? Which is widely regarded as a pretty nice place to be?

Anyway. I'd go with the Red Wings out of these teams. They've got a lot of up and coming talent and feel like they're on a good track with a pretty promising plan for the future. Familiar place after his time with the USNTDP. Historic franchise. Decent place to live, in a real "hockey market" but not as nuts as Toronto. A franchise that's shown it can be committed to spending what it takes to be a contender.

But he may want to move somewhere sunny and warm. Who knows. Maybe trying to revitalize hockey in the desert is something important to him. Maybe he wants to be a role model for kids coming up playing hockey in Arizona. Be part of something there. But until that franchise is less of a rolling dumpster fire, and actually gets their arena on a garbage dump built or whatever...it's hard to view as a real serious consideration.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Even if it was all a shithole, don't most of the Wings players just end up living in like Ann Arbor and stuff anyway? Which is widely regarded as a pretty nice place to be?

Anyway. I'd go with the Red Wings out of these teams. They've got a lot of up and coming talent and feel like they're on a good track with a pretty promising plan for the future. Familiar place after his time with the USNTDP. Historic franchise. Decent place to live, in a real "hockey market" but not as nuts as Toronto. A franchise that's shown it can be committed to spending what it takes to be a contender.

But he may want to move somewhere sunny and warm. Who knows. Maybe trying to revitalize hockey in the desert is something important to him. Maybe he wants to be a role model for kids coming up playing hockey in Arizona. Be part of something there. But until that franchise is less of a rolling dumpster fire, and actually gets their arena on a garbage dump built or whatever...it's hard to view as a real serious consideration.

Believe Bloomfield Hills is where a lot of Detroit pro sports players reside.

Reactions: biturbo19

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Detroit would be the best situation, but very unlikely he'd sign there.

XXXX - Matthews - Raymond
XXXX - Larkin - XXXXX

Edvinsson - Seider

Cossa

That's one hell of a core to build around.

Reactions: SoupNazi

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
What would it mean to him since he's American? Endorsements in a small nation mean nothing and he's taxed on it.
Toronto would be in the top 5 largest cities in the USA. You think that's small?

And being a legend in the city has nothing to do with nationality. Two swings with two misses there.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
I think he resigns, but to humour the thread - LA. It's close enough to his home, they are somewhat competitive, and it's a destination city.

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
Arizona because Arizona is an awesome state to live at. Seattle and California are expensive. Detroit has Eminem and not much else.

Puckstop40

Aug 23, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Growing up in Orange County, I’m biased and would choose there. If you have the money it’s pretty hard to beat the lifestyle. Anaheim has a young team that will be up and coming too.

Reactions: MD93

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I'd say Arizona, but it would be contingent on the franchise stabilizing by then.

Seattle's out because he clearly wants to maintain his tan.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Matthews loves the fun lifestyle that comes with being a superstar. He will only ever get that in a big city where things are happening constantly.

That's why I laugh at the idea of him going to Arizona. It's never happening.

If he doesn't re-sign, I would imagine LA, New York, or Vegas would be near the top of his list. His personality is one of the reasons Toronto is likely his favorite fit. He's an absolute rockstar in the city and playing in one of the biggest hockey markets on the planet.

Reactions: leafsfan5

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Which attractive places would you have listed or added?

LA, DET, ANA and SEA will have some high end prospects to grow with, also SEA has tax benefits.
He'd be a GOD in Arizona and have a brand new castle to play in.
Arizona might not even have a team anymore by the time Matthews hits free agency. Why would he want to go play in that trash arena for a team that’s poorly managed and could get sold at any moment. Matthews can’t speak French so I doubt he would want to play in Quebec City.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Out of these choices he would choose LA. He thinks he is a pretty boy and would fancy himself as a star there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad