Proposal: OEL to Vancouver

Status
Not open for further replies.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
I think we need to begin broaching the possibility that Arizona may have to simply buy him out. Both the player and team need a divorce. And I don't think anyone is going to trade for that contract under any circumstance.

It would cost them $20,166,666 instead of the $50,000,000 owed to him over the next six years...plus another $14,916,666 in the six years after that.

Reactions: axlrose87

WishfulThinker

Jun 10, 2021
OEL is such a strange player to pencil into the Canucks' roster.
He has a cap hit like a 1st pairing+1st PPQB LHD which means that you immediately start having to share that time with Hughes.

Hughes is hands down a better PPQB so right from the get go OEL's cap hit is not being maximized because he won't be on 1st PP.

However, if the team feels that OEL is coming in to 'mostly' live up to his caphit as 1st pairing LHD, you most likely force Hughes down the roster and limit his 5v5 impact on the game. For some people that's fine, but for me I'm still in the camp that believes with the right D partner Hughes can defend high quality minutes while making the topline 5v5 incredibly dynamic.

But if the team feels that OEL is not being brought in to supplant Hughes as 1st pairing LHD it means he's coming in as a super expensive 2nd pairing + 2nd PP guy/1st PK guy. We honestly can't afford that without Myers getting jettisoned.

If he was RHD you could at least have the option to play them both at the same time, but unfortunately that's not the case.
Of course the coach could still end up finding the right balance between all these pieces, but it still feels like you're losing value somewhere.

There's also the fact that you rely on your pro scouting to determine that he'll actually continue to play at whatever level you expect of him, but with the Canucks' record of pro scouting it's something I'd have little faith in.

Reactions: Nucks2477

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
This is a bad fit in every way. It still boggles my mind that Benning was ever even in on OEL

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Every Canucks fan says no.

Benning offers to throw in our unprotected 2022 1st to "get it done".

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I think we need to begin broaching the possibility that Arizona may have to simply buy him out. Both the player and team need a divorce.

The new coach just flew to Sweden to meet with OEL for hours. It's really not that dire. And the AZ owner cannot survive the level of cash call required to buy out OEL. His play has lagged but there's no risk to giving it another year. There are other ways to cut cash from the roster.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I think we need to begin broaching the possibility that Arizona may have to simply buy him out. Both the player and team need a divorce. And I don't think anyone is going to trade for that contract under any circumstance.

It would cost them $20,166,666 instead of the $50,000,000 owed to him over the next six years...plus another $14,916,666 in the six years after that.
Ridiculous. Not even worth an explanation.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
I want nothing to do with OEL, the term is a nightmare and it’s basically Eriksson 2.0.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
There is a chance Arizona does not trade him. There is absolutely no chance Arizona retains salary on him. No way.

Incidentally, Andre Tourigny already flew to Sweden and met with OEL and spent several hours with him over a couple of days.

Rick Tocchet when he was hired just ignored him and without even talking to him or making as statement decided not to give him the captaincy as the GM publicly assumed would happen. OEL and Tocchet had a toxic relationship from the very beginning. I wouldn’t be surprised if OEL was just waiting him out. Tocchet is a moron.
My point was that the offer you made is not one that any team would consider. I'm sure what any of this has to do with that fact.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
OEL is such a strange player to pencil into the Canucks' roster.
He has a cap hit like a 1st pairing+1st PPQB LHD which means that you immediately start having to share that time with Hughes.

Hughes is hands down a better PPQB so right from the get go OEL's cap hit is not being maximized because he won't be on 1st PP.

However, if the team feels that OEL is coming in to 'mostly' live up to his caphit as 1st pairing LHD, you most likely force Hughes down the roster and limit his 5v5 impact on the game. For some people that's fine, but for me I'm still in the camp that believes with the right D partner Hughes can defend high quality minutes while making the topline 5v5 incredibly dynamic.

But if the team feels that OEL is not being brought in to supplant Hughes as 1st pairing LHD it means he's coming in as a super expensive 2nd pairing + 2nd PP guy/1st PK guy. We honestly can't afford that without Myers getting jettisoned.

If he was RHD you could at least have the option to play them both at the same time, but unfortunately that's not the case.
Of course the coach could still end up finding the right balance between all these pieces, but it still feels like you're losing value somewhere.

There's also the fact that you rely on your pro scouting to determine that he'll actually continue to play at whatever level you expect of him, but with the Canucks' record of pro scouting it's something I'd have little faith in.

Teams need two pairing playing significant even strength minutes....

Seatoo

Never Stop Poasting
Oct 19, 2012
Okanagan
@6.25 you keep your bullshit dumps and add very real assets.

It’s saving Arizona what? 30 million real dollars or more? For a player they are trying to trade but can’t find a taker for? I’d be willing to add slightly but it wouldn’t be significant whatsoever, to much risk with taking on OEL even at 6.25

Reactions: bh53

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
imagine thinking that because youre retaining a total of 16 of 50mil for a declining dman you wouldnt have to take a cap dump back, and would only get assets.

Reactions: bh53

rt

May 13, 2004
imagine thinking that because youre retaining a total of 16 of 50mil for a declining dman you wouldnt have to take a cap dump back, and would only get assets.
You seem to think he’s overpaid by 50mil. You realize good players don’t play for free right? Use your brain.

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
You seem to think he’s overpaid by 50mil. You realize good players don’t play for free right? Use your brain.
he is overpaid. he is declining. hes still good, but that contract length is harsh, also you realize good players dont get traded without a cap dump coming back, right?

rt

May 13, 2004
he is overpaid. he is declining. hes still good, but that contract length is harsh, also you realize good players dont get traded without a cap dump coming back, right?
Good players don’t get traded without a cap dump coming back? Is this your first day? Daphuk you talking about man?

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
Good players don’t get traded without a cap dump coming back? Is this your first day? Daphuk you talking about man?

for a player signed long term? yes.
rfa/pending ufa no. should have clarified that

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
OEL very obviously wouldn’t get traded without retention or a cap dump. This thread consists of 20 people who acknowledge this and one person, you, who is aware of it but won’t admit it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad