OEL 3.0 - Move Me Or Keep Me (Upd: You're Stuck With Me}

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
They had agreed on the pick and the contract coming back but the Canucks refused to give up one of Podkolzin, Hoglunder, or Demko.
That's still a decent haul....1st, 2nd, Virtanen and Sutter. Move Sutter at the TDL for maybe a 3rd, Virtanen is an 18 goal scorer and save a LOT of money with OEL's $10M+ years coming up. That's a better offer than I expected given GMBA was negotiating with just Boston and Vancouver.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
In my mind that boils down to a 1st and Virtanen for OEL. The 2nd cancels out Sutter's money. So that's a 1D and our captain who is maybe slightly overpaid for what's probably a 20th overall pick and a third liner (who is about to be overpaid)? Glad Army held strong.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Virtanen, Sutter, a 1st and a 2nd is not good enough for OEL. But it’s definitely good enough to keep talking. I can see why it went right to the deadline. If they would swap one of those picks with Podkolzin or Hoglander, I’d have done the deal.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
In my mind that boils down to a 1st and Virtanen for OEL. The 2nd cancels out Sutter's money. So that's a 1D and our captain who is maybe slightly overpaid for what's probably a 20th overall pick and a third liner (who is about to be overpaid)? Glad Army held strong.
Tend to agree, but also talking about getting out of OEL's long-term financial commitment. GMBA would have $30M+ in cap space next year to re-build the roster while still having a decent young core of 4-5 players locked up long-term. A good GM could have a lot of fun with that much financial flexibility in a flat cap world and the expansion draft challenges some teams will face.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
True but we'll have a ton of cap anyway with the Goose, Hammer, etc. departures, and if no OEL then a gaping hole at the left side where a replacement would suck up a lot of that cap anyway.

I'm still all for trading him, and still think it's a possibility. Just have to get the right deal. Curious to see if Boston comes back after they haven't done much and lost Krug and potentially Chara. Keep an eye on the DeBrusk negotiations I think.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
True but we'll have a ton of cap anyway with the Goose, Hammer, etc. departures, and if no OEL then a gaping hole at the left side where a replacement would suck up a lot of that cap anyway.

I'm still all for trading him, and still think it's a possibility. Just have to get the right deal. Curious to see if Boston comes back after they haven't done much and lost Krug and potentially Chara. Keep an eye on the DeBrusk negotiations I think.
Seems I've read from quite a few that they believe there is still a deal to be made. Question is - Why do you, or anyone else who thinks this, believe the OEL camp would entertain a trade after they placed a deadline?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Seems I've read from quite a few that they believe there is still a deal to be made. Question is - Why do you, or anyone else who thinks this, believe the OEL camp would entertain a trade after they placed a deadline?

Tocchet appears to be entrenched. OEL spent a couple weeks imagining life elsewhere. Boston has always liked him. They'll be the stronger team next year.

OEL's agent talks a big game but I don't think it's reflective of the player's attitude at all, especially after the conversations BA has had with him. If they say "look, we have a deal we'll execute right now if you want to play for Boston", there's no real harm in asking.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
My impression is that the team is fundamentally in the same spot it was a month ago when Armstrong decided that moving OEL for a good return would improve the franchise moving forward. Nothing has changed other than a completely arbitrary deadline. So given the opportunity, I'm sure it's something Armstrong will explore.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
I don't think it was arbitrary. I think the only way OEL camp looks at another offer is if he was genuinely hoping to get RT canned.

rt

May 13, 2004
The Full 60 podcast made it seem like BA hasn’t really had that full blown heart to heart with OEL. Doesn’t sound like he intends to. He basically just said, we’re really going to need you next season. You’re our captain and best player and we need you. And that’s basically it. I don’t think BA sees what happened as awkward enough to justify attempting to mend any fences or soothe the player at all, beyond “We’re countin’ on ya’!”

Reactions: CLW and hbk

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto

Deadline was Oct. 9. If Boston agrees to a trade Oct. 19, he really won't go? I assume he's in Sweden so how does it affect his lifestyle? We don't even know when next season begins. He has plenty of time to get comfortable in his new town before then.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Tocchet appears to be entrenched. OEL spent a couple weeks imagining life elsewhere. Boston has always liked him. They'll be the stronger team next year.

OEL's agent talks a big game but I don't think it's reflective of the player's attitude at all, especially after the conversations BA has had with him. If they say "look, we have a deal we'll execute right now if you want to play for Boston", there's no real harm in asking.
What conversations? I assume, we're all speculating here.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
To clarify, I don't think Army is making calls, but if Boston calls back in a week and says, "So remember when we said Studnicka is untouchable? Funny thing..." I bet Army puts in a call to OEL's agent.

Reactions: Sinurgy and _Del_

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Deadline was Oct. 9. If Boston agrees to a trade Oct. 19, he really won't go? I assume he's in Sweden so how does it affect his lifestyle? We don't even know when next season begins. He has plenty of time to get comfortable in his new town before then.
I think if it was a matter of comfort, or something as strange as that, he would have never put out a deadline.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
To clarify, I don't think Army is making calls, but if Boston calls back in a week and says, "So remember when we said Studnicka is untouchable? Funny thing..." I bet Army puts in a call to OEL's agent.
Totally agree and that would only make sense.

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
The Full 60 podcast made it seem like BA hasn’t really had that full blown heart to heart with OEL. Doesn’t sound like he intends to. He basically just said, we’re really going to need you next season. You’re our captain and best player and we need you. And that’s basically it. I don’t think BA sees what happened as awkward enough to justify attempting to mend any fences or soothe the player at all, beyond “We’re countin’ on ya’!”

this may not be a popular opinion around here, but I like that. There was some drama, one party got what they wanted, the other party seceded. Case closed. Business as usual. Sure, you want to address the situation when you see them, but what’s the point of making a big ordeal about it? Find out what is expected from both sides and get to work. If OEL holds a grudge, he can seal his destiny by expanding his list. If BA holds a grudge, he seals his fate as rookie GM. Don’t be painted into a corner again, especially if it’s self-inflicted.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Article today on the Athletic regarding the number of Swedes including Markstrom (who was thought to be a large reason why OEL wanted to go to Vancouver) in Calgary and how that may open up Calgary as a potential trade partner for OEL. So as much as the agent put a deadline does anyone really think this is going away?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Article today on the Athletic regarding the number of Swedes including Markstrom (who was thought to be a large reason why OEL wanted to go to Vancouver) in Calgary and how that may open up Calgary as a potential trade partner for OEL. So as much as the agent put a deadline does anyone really think this is going away?

The possible trade permutations are declining by the day. Calgary only has 10F, 5D under contract with $4m in space. It looks like a bad fit for them unless they find a taker for Gaudreau.

Boston at least has room, need, and flexibility.

rt

May 13, 2004
The possible trade permutations are declining by the day. Calgary only has 10F, 5D under contract with $4m in space. It looks like a bad fit for them unless they find a taker for Gaudreau.

Boston at least has room, need, and flexibility.
OEL for Gaudreau and Schmaltz for Ristolainen. :sarcasm:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
OEL for Gaudreau and Schmaltz for Ristolainen. :sarcasm:

Johnny is only owed $3.25m cash so him being in the deal isn't the craziest thing ever. It's pretty hard to make the money and cap work. The cash primarily. Pretty much everything is a sizeable net gain for AZ unless it's just Hanifin and a boatload of futures (which puts Calgary over the cap) or Monahan+something.

Monahan is only owed $2.5m.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
And why should he? He’s paid a lot of money to produce as a #1 dman. Go out and show why you’re being paid that much. No one needs to hold your hand or give you affirmation. Play hard and to your ability or go. I think that’s what he’s (BA) is trying to implement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad