OEL 3.0 - Move Me Or Keep Me (Upd: You're Stuck With Me}

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
YawningPoorIcelandichorse-size_restricted.gif

Sm00chy

Sep 29, 2017
I dont mind OEL's agent setting a deadline for a deal. Again, the Yotes dont HAVE to move OEL. Personally, I would like to see OEL moved because I do think the team desperately needs a culture change. I also dont feel he is a great Captain.

I think you hold him until you get the return that you want... if that doesnt come then you keep him and circle back around deadline time or next offseason. I do believe OEL's trade value is close to the lowest it has been in quite some time... who knows, he could have a bounce back year.

Reactions: Jormungandr

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Ehh, he's 29. When we're ready to take off here and he's like 32 or 33 where will his game be?

Beyond that, he's a poor leader. Our whole team is poor leaders. Ok, so everything goes wrong and you lose a playoff game 7-1. But then to lose by the exact same score the very next game? Where is the accountability? Where is the embarrassment? I was embarrassed watching that shit.

Tocchet doesn't escape the leadership issue either. The whole thing is a tumor that needs to be cut out of the organization. Start fresh.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
I dont mind OEL's agent setting a deadline for a deal. Again, the Yotes dont HAVE to move OEL. Personally, I would like to see OEL moved because I do think the team desperately needs a culture change. I also dont feel he is a great Captain.

I think you hold him until you get the return that you want... if that doesnt come then you keep him and circle back around deadline time or next offseason. I do believe OEL's trade value is close to the lowest it has been in quite some time... who knows, he could have a bounce back year.
I don’t even view the deadline as a complete negative. It’s already been talked about how badly Travis Green and Jim Benning want OEL. There’s less than a three day window to acquire him. It very may well be them that caves and not us.

DOTS13

Werewolf of London
Dec 4, 2019
The Desert
Ehh, he's 29. When we're ready to take off here and he's like 32 or 33 where will his game be?

Beyond that, he's a poor leader. Our whole team is poor leaders. Ok, so everything goes wrong and you lose a playoff game 7-1. But then to lose by the exact same score the very next game? Where is the accountability? Where is the embarrassment? I was embarrassed watching that shit.

Tocchet doesn't escape the leadership issue either. The whole thing is a tumor that needs to be cut out of the organization. Start fresh.

"I guess."

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
As far as the deadline he really couldn't have put it a couple hours into FA? When we know where Krug is going?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I think both teams were overestimating how 'desperate' AZ might be and were a bit shocked to find a GM in BA that was going to go to the mat on every last little detail. If you listen to Bennings latest radio interview, he sounds completely exhausted.

Boston is lurking in the weeds here and making a deal with them is super simple. Still very much a possibility.

As far as the deadline he really couldn't have put it a couple hours into FA? When we know where Krug is going?
Krug is gone and everyone knows it. They had all year to sign him.

Reactions: CLW and _Del_

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
I hope he stays, Tocchet gets fired and he puts up 20 goals and 50 points. Then we can go troll all Canucks and Oilers fans who called him a cap dump.
Nobody thinks he's a cap dump that's why they want him. Everyone just wants a deal don't take it personally. Sucks I know but what can you do. As for the ludicrous proposals yes it can be taxing I feel for Yotes fans.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
It's hard to get a read on Benning. Seems like a nice guy but he speaks like Brendan Dassey.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Nobody thinks he's a cap dump that's why they want him. Everyone just wants a deal don't take it personally. Sucks I know but what can you do. As for the ludicrous proposals yes it can be taxing I feel for Yotes fans.

I think there's a fundamental disconnect because Canadian fans are fed clickbait narratives tailored to what they want to hear, like the Coyotes are poorer than Ottawa and will simply give OEL away to be rid of the 50 MILLION DOLLARS.

There's no money or clicks to be had in such a thing down here. We're lucky if we get anything beyond a restatement of a press release.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Teams are always looking for a #1D who can eat hard minutes and also contribute offensively. They just aren't really available too often. Now one is. Look at the free agents. You have AP and then ...
You can bet Boston prefers OEL to Krug and anyone else. You can bet Vancouver prefers shedding cap and actually getting a top dman to figuring out how to shed cap and sign his other players.

Plan B for AZ has us coming back with a #1D. Of all the players in this scenario, I'd much rather have our Plan B. I'd like to jumpstart the rebuild, change the lockerroom, and gain some flexibility. But being "stuck" with OEL and making it work is not a terrible situation.

If I'm Boston and Vancouver the gap between Plans A and B are a little wider, imo.

I'd sit on it. Set your price and let them do the legwork to figure out how to make it come together or not. If Boston decides they'd rather go with Krug at 7x7 and keep their assets,that's fair. If Benning decides he'd like to navigate his personal cap hell that you can bet he's going to get the full blame for and keep his assets, that's fair. I only know that if you aren't accomplishing your goal in getting flexibility and prime assets, there is no reason to make the trade.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016

In OELs defense I think a lot of what he has to say may fall on deaf ears. The team needs a culture rebuild. I don't think OEL is a problem on his own. It's Stepan, Goligoski, Kessel and to a lesser degree Demers. Guys who are just happy to play hockey and get paid for it. We need different vets who want to win.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Another reason to stop giving out NTCs. Guys are too comfortable.

Guys like Goligoski need to play with the fear of how pissed off his wife will be if he plays poorly and as a result the family has to move to Winnipeg.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
In OELs defense I think a lot of what he has to say may fall on deaf ears. The team needs a culture rebuild. I don't think OEL is a problem on his own. It's Stepan, Goligoski, Kessel and to a lesser degree Demers. Guys who are just happy to play hockey and get paid for it. We need different vets who want to win.
I think in everyone of them's defense, it's hard to bring it everynight when in the back of your head you know it is sort of pointless. But that's the same thing that separates the winners and leaders from the masses. If you have a team full of guys who can't find it in themselves to bring it everynight, it just snowballs. Your worse, so they put in less effort. Then they are worse, so ...
Finding winners and actual leaders is critical in ANY organization. We made the mistake of adding good, likeable guys with experience and thinking it is leadership. It isn't. Those are positive attributes, but it isn't leadership. And this team desperately needs leadership top-to-bottom. Tocchet is not a leader. Look at the aura that surrounds him in every press conference. OEL is the same. Neither is a leader. You don't have to be a leader to be the captain. I imagine few of the captains in the league are actual leaders. But the successful teams have multiple leaders. Your coach, on the otherhand, is going to be ass if he's not a leader. And he isn't. We're leadership poor at every level. Except maybe GM finally.

Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
I think there's a fundamental disconnect because Canadian fans are fed clickbait narratives tailored to what they want to hear, like the Coyotes are poorer than Ottawa and will simply give OEL away to be rid of the 50 MILLION DOLLARS.

There's no money or clicks to be had in such a thing down here. We're lucky if we get anything beyond a restatement of a press release.
Truth be told we do always hear Yotes are always in some kind of financial trouble. One of the main reasons were given here is that the stadium deal sucks and it's out of the way in burbs or something?? I believe in Glendale?

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
He does a good job ruining his trade value, partly with limiting the teams allowed to bid on him, and now if it is true by saying the trade needs to go down fast.

Unless the few (two??) teams allowed to bid come with a fair offer fast, it's probably better to keep him, and just hope he rebounds.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
The OEL threads on the main board make me want to kill myself
I think they are pretty funny. OEL is a #3. Cap dump. etc, etc Makes you wonder why two playoff teams would be remotely interested in a #3 dman with a 8.25M contract. That's worse than Eriksson. If any of the bullshit was true, there wouldn't be any offers. Nevermind weeks of negotiations. These same people are penciling Ollie into the first pairing, though in their lineups lol

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Truth be told we do always hear Yotes are always in some kind of financial trouble. One of the main reasons were given here is that the stadium deal sucks and it's out of the way in burbs or something?? I believe in Glendale?

The real reason is because, for 9/10ths of the time this team has been in Arizona, it's been owned by people who can't even be bothered to quarter-ass the job.

But yeah, "suburb arena" is a way easier excuse.

Reactions: 82Ninety42011

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

Apart from COVID they've never been better. You're talking about a team that was owned by the league at one point and a no vote at a council meeting away from moving.

Sm00chy

Sep 29, 2017
I don’t even view the deadline as a complete negative. It’s already been talked about how badly Travis Green and Jim Benning want OEL. There’s less than a three day window to acquire him. It very may well be them that caves and not us.
Exactly. If anything I think this puts pressure on Vancouver rather than the Yotes

Reactions: _Del_

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
OEL's agent deadline is also a deadline for Vancouver and Boston.

"If you want my player, make a deal."

Personally I am glad that this story will be solved this week, one way or another.

Sm00chy

Sep 29, 2017
He does a good job ruining his trade value, partly with limiting the teams allowed to bid on him, and now if it is true by saying the trade needs to go down fast.

Unless the few (two??) teams allowed to bid come with a fair offer fast, it's probably better to keep him, and just hope he rebounds.
OEL didn’t need to provide any teams. Perfectly within his right to do what he is doing. Would I prefer he just say “send me wherever”... hell yea. But he earned the contract he has and he is leveraging that. No issue with it.

Reactions: Jakey53 and _Del_

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad