Odds Kessel will re-sign?

RogerRoeper*

BTW, I find it funny in a Kessel thread, it's 100% about the team competing, or less media pressure and no talk about money.

Money is VERY important to Kessel and the Leafs can give him more than any other team.

He's not going to Minnesota at some big discount. Parise and Suter didn't even do that. And the Wild have had 4 cash calls already over their contracts.

Offer Kessel a huge money now and he takes it imo. It must be 8 years though. Given Kessel's age and health, I have no issue with it.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
I am not optimistic Kessel wants much else to do with this team.

Either a short term deal for loyalty sake or he's walking if you ask me.

25% .

JAMmer124

Independent Living
Aug 13, 2010
Welland, Ontario
I think he sticks around, he chose us last time and I don't see why he won't again, and we'll pay him as well as anyone else, not to mention we can offer him the extra year. He seems happy here as well.

Say what you want, but every team drools at the thought of having him as he's a rare breed of player. Every winning team has a type like him, that one shot shooter that can change a game seemingly at will.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
I voted 25%, but I think it's closer to 5% actually. The team would have to have a complete turnaround, a playoff run, upgrades in talent especially a #1 center for him...that said, I think he gets traded as I suspect he will be un-willing to sign an extension...lookin to play the free agent card. He can find a much better situation for himself elsewhere.

onebighockeyfan

May 2, 2010
Management just couldn't stand that trade he made 4 years before they were even involved with the team.

You are missing the point. If the Leafs made the playoffs or actually improved their competitiveness significantly on the ice the trade would have looked much better. They got a good player in Kessel, not one that transformed the Leafs into a playoff contender. After 4 years this became very clear. One can even argue Burke got a a fair chance to prove his blockbuster move, which gave away a good chunk of the Leafs future was a failure. This has been debated to death though but thought I should clarify my statement.

Razor

Say no to Luongo.
Jun 18, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
I said 25%. I'd really prefer keeping him due to his skill set and age but Nonis really needs to get a good feel of where Kessel's head is at this season/summer. If he shows a willingness to buy into Carlyle's system I'd raise my optimism to 75%. If not he needs to be traded at the draft for picks and prospects.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
So don't even try to sign him?

You can only negotiate within a year of his contract expiring which happens to be when his no movement clause kicks in and he controls whether or not to enter his first ever unrestricted free agency.

Not even close.

Trade him while we can.

Could get a dirty return with the amount of people overrating him in the hockey world.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Would be ironic if we don't trade Kessel and he comes back as a UFA signing for Montreal or some rival. The booing in Boston would be a love fest if that ever happened, some of us have the right idea, trade him before the deadline this year rather than have the above aforementioned happen. Take our chances signing him, Nonis better have a talk with Phil to see where his head is at.

Crispy Crust

Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Would be ironic if we don't trade Kessel and he comes back as a UFA signing for Montreal or some rival. The booing in Boston would be a love fest if that ever happened, some of us have the right idea, trade him before the deadline this year rather than have the above aforementioned happen. Take our chances signing him, Nonis better have a talk with Phil to see where his head is at.

I really hope he is dealt at the deadline if we are out of it. I would lol if Kessel signed in Montreal.

Patty Lee

I hate the Habs
Nov 26, 2003
Visit site
Trade 3 picks to get Kessel.

Lose him for nothing?

The odds of Kessel re-signing are simple; 32% odds that he doesn't re-sign, and 68% odds that he does sign.

Anyone who fails to see how I came up with those numbers needs to give their head a shake
guess what ever mod is on tonight has no sense of humour so I'll ask this way.... explain please.

Captain Clutch 13

Mar 7, 2011
He seems to like it here and if we can make playoffs either this year or next year I think he'll sign. If we dont make playoffs in the next 2 seasons I think it'll be a 50/50 chance. Toronto has been his home for a few years now and the stability of keeping that home with an NTC should attract him to stay to some extent.

I will be very pissed if he walks though, what a waste.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He seems to like it here and if we can make playoffs either this year or next year I think he'll sign. If we dont make playoffs in the next 2 seasons I think it'll be a 50/50 chance. Toronto has been his home for a few years now and the stability of keeping that home with an NTC should attract him to stay to some extent.

I will be very pissed if he walks though, what a waste.

One big factor in the equation is the guy that brought him here is gone too. Burke is too stubborn to admit he is wrong and the chance of him atleast dealng Kessel was far less if even at all, to do so would admit a mistake.

Nonis on the other hand inherited Kessel, he doesn't have the loyalty or pride issues to deal with that Burke has. Thus it is far more likely a trade will happen with Nonis than with Burke.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I could see Burkie in Minnie. If Fletcher fails with a stud team that includes Koivu, Parise, Suter and a whole bunch of prospects, he doesn't deserve to be GM.

Burke assembled an entire defense in Anaheim and developed Getzlaf/Perry + drafted Bobby Ryan.

He could easily turn the Wild into a contender if they fail this season.

In all fairness I think Burke can thank Bryan Murray for that team.

DeathToAllButMetal

Let it all burn.
May 13, 2010
Why all the handwringing about this? Kessel hasn't exactly proven himself as a key member of a hockey team that actually competes for anything. He should be shipped out as part of a rebuilding effort. Moving him for help at centre and on D would be a huge step forward. He was never the sort of player that the Leafs needed. Not at this point in time. Burke needed a gutsy, tough, creative centre, not a one-dimensional winger.

The sooner that trade gets undone, the better for the Leafs as a franchise.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City

I would love to see him in Ottawa on Spezza's wing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad