Odds Kessel will re-sign?

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Depends if the team gets better.

If the Leafs don't improve in the next 12 months I wouldn't expect him to stick around, he can get huge money wherever he goes. If we get a goalie and a good centre and things stabilize, then he'll stay. I'm unsure as to how the whole Burke thing affects this, I think it's more important how Phil feels about the coaching.

And I would expect considerably more than a mere first round pick for Phil Kessel in a trade, should it come to that. I think he would be dealt for a player or players and not picks this time though.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
They either resign him or trade him. I think his market value is lower then his stats would sudjest. I'd keep him unless someone offered me something really nice

RogerRoeper*

I feel he will re-sign. The trick is to offer him a huge 8 year deal a year before he's UFA. His agent will pressure him to sign the deal. It will be difficult for him to turn it down. A bit like how Columbus re-signed Rick Nash.

Kessely Snipes

Great White North
Oct 16, 2011
Regina, SK
Depends what direction this team goes. If we do acquire Luongo, it shows we want to win. If this is another tank season, I think he is as good as gone.

Leafs For Life*

Depends what direction this team goes. If we do acquire Luongo, it shows we want to win. If this is another tank season, I think he is as good as gone.

Depends, what if a team that has only 1 deficiency (Scoring or Goalie) falls to 2nd last, do you do the deal for Kessel? (If we got last, I'd move down the 2nd last to Drouin)

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Kessel also has a NTC that kicks in during the final year of his deal after this current season ends.

So re-signing him adds that complication to the situation as its not as simple dealing him away for the best return if Kessel refuses to re-sign in Toronto, and blocks trades due to his NTC.

Kessel refused to sign a deal in Boston already once forcing a GMs hand, and Leafs situation as a team will influence him this time as to weather he wants to commit long-term.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
25%

I can see issues develop between him and RC, just like what supposedly transpired in Boston and we all know how that turned out.

PK has already show his and his agents stripes in their dealings with Boston, i see no reason why we won't receive the same treatment, if anything i could see it being a worse situation, our team sux compared to the team he wanted off and one could conclude they feel they have us between a rock and a hard place, he is our only bonafied star and given the price paid to get him on the team, Nonis is not in a enviable spot regarding PK at this time.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
When can they start negotiating his extension?

Has the CBA changed where the Player can sign for more with their existing Team then they can with other Teams?

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
If there is even the slightest hint that Kessel will walk...trade him quick. I don't think my heart can handle losing Kessel for nothing after what we've given up.

MapleReef

Aug 10, 2012
Nassau Bahamas
I Don't Think So

He was brought to the team with a specific goal in mind. With the firing of Burke maybe his outlook has changed. Would like to know what leaf fans think?

With the lack of team structure does he stick around for another rebuild?
The guy to me is an enigma. No personality, no desire or ability to speak to the media, no leadership ability...but scores and scores.

Read about him to Minnesota yesterday and joining Parise in his home state and I personally think he can't get out of Toronto and the media hype fast enough.

Carlyle's style of coaching will be the final nail in the coffin when he arrives out of shape and doesn't back check.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
pretty much... and i hope we're right. if he walks for nothing i'll be livid.

He has a limited NTC clause that kicks in sometime in the 2013-14 season.

Hopefully...we can trade him before it kicks in if he isn't going to sign.

He'd easily fetch more than Carter IMO. Somewhere between what Mike Richards and Carter got if it's a sign and trade.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I actually had a dream Burkie went to Minnie and Kessel signed there. :(

I could see Burkie in Minnie. If Fletcher fails with a stud team that includes Koivu, Parise, Suter and a whole bunch of prospects, he doesn't deserve to be GM.

Burke assembled an entire defense in Anaheim and developed Getzlaf/Perry + drafted Bobby Ryan.

He could easily turn the Wild into a contender if they fail this season.

K19*

I think it's more likely he'll want to go elsewhere. The team will continue to struggle, being in the spotlight, playing under Carlyle, Burke is gone ... and then you have to worry about the NTC / NMC that begins this summer.

I'd almost like to see him walk for nothing just to see the reactions from all the posters who defend the Kessel trade. That would be priceless! :laugh:

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
If we continue to flounder then there is no way he signs with us. He's going to carve out a nice nest for himself in some non hockey market, make a nice living and live quietly out of the limelight.

If we make the playoffs and he gets a taste of just how much love and adulation will go around when this fanbase is satisfied, then maybe he will stay.

sigh, unfortunately this...

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I'd almost like to see him walk for nothing just to see the reactions from all the posters who defend the Kessel trade. That would be priceless! :laugh:

True fan here.

Click.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
With this up and coming draft i dont know if anyone is willing to hand out draft picks. Kessel is coming up to his 2nd contract extension meaning this is where he wants the big, long contract. Columbus wont want him and i dont think Kessel will want to play there.

Teams i think who will be interested is Vancouver, Phili, Carolina, Washington, and Detroit (that i can think of at the top of my head) except I dont know their cap situations next season. Anyways for most of them getting Kessel wont make or break them and prob will take their chances and hope that Kessel walks (does this sound familiar..ahem Anaheim). And with all the potential free agents next year that may be the right choice.

I think there is a real possibility that Kessel walks.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
he has a NMC in his last year?

:amazed: If that is true,Burke is an idiot! We have to trade him now before he screws us royally.

RogerRoeper*

The guy to me is an enigma. No personality, no desire or ability to speak to the media, no leadership ability...but scores and scores.

Read about him to Minnesota yesterday and joining Parise in his home state and I personally think he can't get out of Toronto and the media hype fast enough.

Carlyle's style of coaching will be the final nail in the coffin when he arrives out of shape and doesn't back check.

Minnesota can't afford Kessel. He's not going there.

And BTW, Kessel played well in Julien's system in Boston.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad