Odds Kessel will re-sign?

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
He was brought to the team with a specific goal in mind. With the firing of Burke maybe his outlook has changed. Would like to know what leaf fans think?

With the lack of team structure does he stick around for another rebuild?

Crispy Crust

Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
I could see Kessel walking actually. It won't get to that point though, he will either be traded or re-signed before that time comes around.

GalacticaActual

Mar 23, 2010
Mississauga, Ontario
If we continue to flounder then there is no way he signs with us. He's going to carve out a nice nest for himself in some non hockey market, make a nice living and live quietly out of the limelight.

If we make the playoffs and he gets a taste of just how much love and adulation will go around when this fanbase is satisfied, then maybe he will stay.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I've had a bad feeling he would for a while. So much pressure, the trade, and being on a team that can't win even with him scoring all those goals. I'd be more surprised if he stuck around.

JMcLeaf

Burke will take over as GM of Boston and sign Kessel and we will realize it was all an evil master plan

Rockinz

Leafs 4 the cup
Feb 25, 2010
Leaf Land
He has a NMC kicking in next year...

If we are out of it come TD it might be a move Nonie might have to make...

I LOVE kessel's game but I would rather get the moon for him than let him walk for nothing...

A team like Pitt would give up at least Tangradi + 1st + 1st + Top prospect (Morrow/Pouliot/Maatta). To have Kessel for at least 2 play off runs.

My Sweet Shadow

Sep 5, 2008
Sioux Lookout, ON
I think it all comes down to Nonis and whether he pushes for success now or success in the future. If he wants to win now, and trades for Luongo / a #1 center, then we'll want to keep Kessel on board. If not, and he decides to do a serious rebuild (i.e. tank this year and/or next year and go for MacKinnon / McDavid), then moving Kessel for prospects / picks to a team like the Pens would be the best option.

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
I could see Kessel walking actually. It won't get to that point though, he will either be traded or re-signed before that time comes around.

I hope for our franchise you're right. We should definitely trade him this deadline, imo, if we're out of the race (likely). I know most would think next deadline, which I'd be fine with, but I think you max his value this DL because it gives the receiving team tons of time (a full offseason) to negotiate and gauge where their team is at. It's also more value because there's no risk of him being half a season rental.

EmergencyExit

Aug 9, 2011
Toronto
I think the matter hinges on whether or not this team makes the playoffs. If they miss for two more years and Kessel's contract is done, why would he want to stay? I expect the management to trade him or resign him before that happens though obviously.

Here's hoping the Leafs take advantage of the shortened season and make it to the post season.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Trade 3 picks to get kessel.
Accomplish sweet **** all.
Then sell him for one?

Good work

Trade 3 picks to get Kessel.

Lose him for nothing?

The odds of Kessel re-signing are simple; 32% odds that he doesn't re-sign, and 68% odds that he does sign.

Anyone who fails to see how I came up with those numbers needs to give their head a shake

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
25-30% no higher.

If we dont show improvement/trade him, he won't stay here.

Chances are we have to make the playoffs for him to even think about it. This shortened year could be a good indicator of where we are and if we should trade him to atleast get some value

disgruntleddave

Aug 31, 2009
Canada
I think the chances are pretty high.

Not because we're a great team or anything, but because of my impression of his personality. Somewhat socially uncomfortable guys who find a place like toronto that takes them in, after being rejected by their former home, may tend to get complacent when in a comfortable environment.

I bet he would be comfortable re-signing.

I think the chances are higher that we trade him for a nice return on our own accord than he decides not to re-sign if given the opportunity.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
He'll re-sign for the sake of my mental health :laugh: I don't think I could survive Kessel ****ing walking for nothing.

I don't have a problem with the Kessel deal as it stands now, but if he walks, my god, that could easily go down as one of the worst trades of all time.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
I think it all comes down to Nonis and whether he pushes for success now or success in the future. If he wants to win now, and trades for Luongo / a #1 center, then we'll want to keep Kessel on board. If not, and he decides to do a serious rebuild (i.e. tank this year and/or next year and go for MacKinnon / McDavid), then moving Kessel for prospects / picks to a team like the Pens would be the best option.

Kessel is still only 25 right? Am I missing something here?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad