Odd Man Out

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I don't think we'll have a permanent lineup, but rather rotate a few guys in and out based on who's performing. It's nice to have some internal competition with several spots needing to be earned rather than awarded.

Reactions: Lumberg

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Foligno - Matthews - Marner
Galch - Tavares - Nylander
Hyman - Kerfoot - Mikheyev
Jumbo - Spezza - Simmonds

Nash in and out of lineup to replace a vet (especially for the b2b game).

Foligno haa been good with our 1st line,Galchenyuk has been good with our 2nd line. Both are good compliment players that dont seem to produce offense on their own but play well with talented players.

Hyman has been producing offense on his own this year and would be killer on the 3rd line.

We know Keefe isnt sitting a vet and Im hopeful these guys step it up in thr playoffs. Jumbo and Simmonds leave me wanting more recently and I hope they turn it up for the playoffs as we have other players deserving of a spot.

While I could see the argument for Nash over one of the 4th liners, it would be tough to throw him into a playoff game for his first game back and Keefe likes our vets. Maybe Nash can get into a game or 2 on the Marlies to get him back up to speed?

budzz

History is just that.
Jan 26, 2015
I wouldn't be surprised to see Simmonds get some time on one of the top lines here and there. Habs can get dirty, and like taking liberties with Tavares and Matthews. Foligno can take care of one of those lines, and having Simmonds there "keeping things honest" and not letting our guys take any crap could be a good thing. Not full time just spot duty here and there. Especially early in the series... set the tone that we aren't taking any cheap shots from anyone.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Are Galchenyuk and Engvall odd men out? With Foligno on with JT and Willie last night, looks like Hymie will be with 34 and Mitchie. Two solid lines. Fourth line will be most likely Jumbo, Spez and Simmonds/Nash. What will the third line be?
I see the lines as:
Hyman Matthews Marner
Foligno JT Nylander
Kerfoot Nash Mikeyev
Thornton Spezza Simmonds

Gally. Engvall, Brooks

Still like to see Hyman and Mikeyev on the third line together. Think they would drive teams nuts.
Clearly this is what Keefer wants and is likely to dial up for game 1 .. to me I would drop Kerfoot to line 4 C to add some speed and move up Wayner with Nash and Mik .. gives each line some power and speed and puts a little fear into every opposing defense on ice .. but overall it will work fine ..

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Clearly this is what Keefer wants and is likely to dial up for game 1 .. to me I would drop Kerfoot to line 4 C to add some speed and move up Wayner with Nash and Mik .. gives each line some power and speed and puts a little fear into every opposing defense on ice .. but overall it will work fine ..
I believe Kerfoot played some 4th line with Spezza and Thornton and the line didn't perform very well. I like the fact that Keefe doesn't seem interested in trying to squeeze out every drop of offense he can out of the team.

Hyman Nash Mikheyev as a 3rd line would be awesome. The old man 4th line of Thornton Spezza Simmonds won't see too much ice time as the game goes on (depending on score). And I think Keefe will ride the top 2 lines. No room for Galch. Move Kerfoot to the wing because he's not a great centre and Robert's your father's brother.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I wouldn't be surprised to see Simmonds get some time on one of the top lines here and there. Habs can get dirty, and like taking liberties with Tavares and Matthews. Foligno can take care of one of those lines, and having Simmonds there "keeping things honest" and not letting our guys take any crap could be a good thing. Not full time just spot duty here and there. Especially early in the series... set the tone that we aren't taking any cheap shots from anyone.
Habs D will cross da cra*p out of Matty and we all know it .. at some point Wayner needs to take Weber on a bumpy canoe ride .. maybe then Hyman shifts down to play with Nash and Mik for some time .. but Keefer won't wait long if he sees it in game 1 .. I put it at very high odds

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Not sure why Nash, who hasn't played in ages and never with this group, gets a free pass into the starting lineup. I suspect this is just because we haven't seen him yet, he's the shiny new toy.

I say give first crack to the guys who got us here and keep Nash on the sidelines till we stumble or injuries open a spot.
I would tend to agree, however, we don’t see how Nash looks in practice. It will be telling if he gets in the lineup tonight, it would mean he’s almost ready in Keefe’s eyes. I like the idea of a healthy Nash shutting down opposition on his shift. I wouldn’t put him in without a game tonight though. I would put him in if we stink defensively later in the series.

budzz

History is just that.
Jan 26, 2015
Habs D will cross da cra*p out of Matty and we all know it .. at some point Wayner needs to take Weber on a bumpy canoe ride .. maybe then Hyman shifts down to play with Nash and Mik for some time .. but Keefer won't wait long if he sees it in game 1 .. I put it at very high odds
Totally agree... early in the year that one game Weber was just pounding on Matthews back with cross checks (no penalties of course) and Matty was off the next few games. (No doubt, a large dman full force crosschecking across the back over and over). Wayne could straighten dat chit out quickly.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Totally agree... early in the year that one game Weber was just pounding on Matthews back with cross checks (no penalties of course) and Matty was off the next few games. (No doubt, a large dman full force crosschecking across the back over and over). Wayne could straighten dat chit out quickly.
Yep it is playoff hockey and there will be no penalties like usual .. let da players decide games on da ice .. we can't have Matty out because of Weber or Edmunson or Chiarot gooning up Matty .. glad we got Jumbo and Foligno because those clowns won't stop it after Wayner takes care of Weber .. i think there will be multiple fights

Reactions: Nylander88

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
To me I think it comes down to 2 spots between 6 guys.

Mikheyev, Engvall, Galchenyuk, Nash, Brooks and Robertson will be battling for the last 2 spots. I think everyone else is a lock.

Keefe is a big Mikheyev fan so I think he is a virtual lock.

I'm not sure Robertson is actually part of that battle.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Yep it is playoff hockey and there will be no penalties like usual .. let da players decide games on da ice .. we can't have Matty out because of Weber or Edmunson or Chiarot gooning up Matty .. glad we got Jumbo and Foligno because those clowns won't stop it after Wayner takes care of Weber .. i think there will be multiple fights

Not sure Wayner can "take care" of Weber. Weber is one tough/dirty player.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Not sure Wayner can "take care" of Weber. Weber is one tough/dirty player.
I'd love to see us hunt Weber all series and their D in general. It's a big strong group who don't move the puck very well. FInish every check, but also make him retrieve every puck he can with guys like Foligno, Hyman, Mik, even Matthews and Kerfoot all over him. Get him pushing the pace.

The more they have to skate instead of standing around cross checking/hooking the better.

Reactions: ToneDog

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Galchenyuk out for Nash makes more sense to me against a team like Edmonton than it does against Montreal imo. That said, I'm sure Keefe wants Nash to gain traction as a line with Kerfoot and Mikheyev in case that is the case in round two. Kerfoot-Nash-Mikheyev with Muzzin-Holl on the backend is what McDavid would be seeing most of the game. I'm sure we'll need everyone at some point if we go on a run though, so I'll leave the coaching to the coach. GLG

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Maybe, but I don't see why Weber would fight our first liner at any meaningful point in the series
He likely will want to pass ... Wayner is one of toughest fighters from G ever .. like this one where he knocked out 3 of Tom's teeth on 2 shots .. if we play Reaves in finals I think he is tougher but Wayner wil give er

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
It's a great tool to have. One we haven't had in the past. Best we had was Kadri trying to emotionally run around defending everyone. Which I respected the heck out of, but it ultimately hurt us in the end. Having guys like Simmonds and Foligno that can play anywhere in the lineup and are tough as nails is a huge addition to this teams playoff hopes. Our veterans will be key for us. Thornton-Spezza-Simmonds all have the ability to play spot duty higher in the lineup. And Jumbo is chasing that ever elusive Cup at age 41...I'm willing to bet he brings a lot more of what we saw against the Jets last time. Just a big angry man. Can't wait to get this started

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
It's a great tool to have. One we haven't had in the past. Best we had was Kadri trying to emotionally run around defending everyone. Which I respected the heck out of, but it ultimately hurt us in the end. Having guys like Simmonds and Foligno that can play anywhere in the lineup and are tough as nails is a huge addition to this teams playoff hopes. Our veterans will be key for us. Thornton-Spezza-Simmonds all have the ability to play spot duty higher in the lineup. And Jumbo is chasing that ever elusive Cup at age 41...I'm willing to bet he brings a lot more of what we saw against the Jets last time. Just a big angry man. Can't wait to get this started
This is 1st playoffs since 93 where we have a legit chance at da Cup .. we can play all kinds of hockey .. we can score .. we can play fast .. we will be able to grind out a game with Nash .. we can use our defense for a change .. we can play rough if teams chose to try us out .. it is pretty exciting .. biggest worry to me is Price and Helle but I don't think either can win 4 games on their own .. 3 is MAX I could see

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
This is 1st playoffs since 93 where we have a legit chance at da Cup .. we can play all kinds of hockey .. we can score .. we can play fast .. we will be able to grind out a game with Nash .. we can use our defense for a change .. we can play rough if teams chose to try us out .. it is pretty exciting .. biggest worry to me is Price and Helle but I don't think either can win 4 games on their own .. 3 is MAX I could see
Goalies stealing series would definitely be top of the worry list. Maybe I have blind faith...but I also feel a lot better about having Campbell as our starter. Freddy can be a great goalie in his own right, but I've always felt uneasy with him. Especially when it matters most. This year we also have Campbell, Andersen, Rittich, Hutchinson. Crazy goalie depth. Every other year we really had nothing behind Fred. This year if ANY goalie isn't performing, we don't have to keep going back to the well

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Goalies stealing series would definitely be top of the worry list. Maybe I have blind faith...but I also feel a lot better about having Campbell as our starter. Freddy can be a great goalie in his own right, but I've always felt uneasy with him. Especially when it matters most. This year we also have Campbell, Andersen, Rittich, Hutchinson. Crazy goalie depth. Every other year we really had nothing behind Fred. This year if ANY goalie isn't performing, we don't have to keep going back to the well
For me it is a no brainer that Soup starts and I think he will help us get through 2 rounds which I will be most grateful .. Freddy is not used to playing clutch games from time he was a kid and it hurts him because he was always da best player in Denmark and never got pushed with super hard competition and it shows when things get tough .. it was just too easy for him and he lacks those moments to fall back on .. most of our kids have dealt with this since they were 6 and they get it fully and if they can't handle it they get weeded out with our hockey factory system

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad