Odd Man Out

sittler rules!!!

Feb 9, 2004
Are Galchenyuk and Engvall odd men out? With Foligno on with JT and Willie last night, looks like Hymie will be with 34 and Mitchie. Two solid lines. Fourth line will be most likely Jumbo, Spez and Simmonds/Nash. What will the third line be?
I see the lines as:
Hyman Matthews Marner
Foligno JT Nylander
Kerfoot Nash Mikeyev
Thornton Spezza Simmonds

Gally. Engvall, Brooks

Still like to see Hyman and Mikeyev on the third line together. Think they would drive teams nuts.

Last edited:

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Assuming a fully healthy complement of forwards, Galchenyuk and Engvall are probably to be on the outside looking in most often. Galchenyuk makes the most sense on a scoring line (Matthews or Tavares). Can't argue with what both Hyman and Foligno bring to those lines though.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Not sure why Nash, who hasn't played in ages and never with this group, gets a free pass into the starting lineup. I suspect this is just because we haven't seen him yet, he's the shiny new toy.

I say give first crack to the guys who got us here and keep Nash on the sidelines till we stumble or injuries open a spot.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
Not sure why Nash, who hasn't played in ages and never with this group, gets a free pass into the starting lineup. I suspect this is just because we haven't seen him yet, he's the shiny new toy.as seen vs us

I say give first crack to the guys who got us here and keep Nash on the sidelines till we stumble or injuries open a spot.
hes a proven pain to play against, as seen vs us in the columbus and boston series. not like hes replacing some elite players, what engvall and gally provide on a game to game basis is pretty minimal.
i also believe hes gonna be a much better fit for this series, if we were playing edm he might not get in.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Are Galchenyuk and Engvall odd men out? With Foligno on with JT and Willie last night, looks like Hymie will be with 34 and Mitchie. Two solid lines. Fourth line will be most likely Jumbo, Spez and Simmonds/Nash. What will the third line be?
I see the lines as:
Hyman Matthews Marner
Foligno JT Nylander
Kerfoot Nash Mikeyev
Thornton Spezza Simmonds

Gally. Engvall, Brooks

Still like to see Hyman and Mikeyev on the third line together. Think they would drive teams nuts.

Brooks should be in the lineup.

Galchenyuk and Engvall sit. Kerfoot vs Nash for the last spot in the press box.

Reactions: Duffman955

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Galchenyuk I'd imagine. Don't think the Leafs want Kerfoot at C, so Nash will go in there and Kerfoot and Mikheyev in the wings.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
I see the lines as:
Hyman Matthews Marner
Foligno JT Nylander
Kerfoot Nash Mikeyev
Thornton Spezza Simmonds

Gally. Engvall, Brooks

For me I would like to see

Foligno-Matthews-Marner
Gally-Tavares-Nylander
Kerfoot-Nash-Hyman
Thornton-Spezza-Simmons

Reactions: bpower

Once

Jul 16, 2010
Brooks should be in the lineup.

Galchenyuk and Engvall sit. Kerfoot vs Nash for the last spot in the press box.

I really like Brooks but Nash has to play and Kerfoot has been good. Chucky, Brooks, Engvall are great depth for a long playoff run.

Once

Jul 16, 2010
Another interesting question: who comes out on D assuming Bogo is back mid round? Sandin was great but Dermott has been quietly good. I like not noticing him -- he's played a simple game.

Rielly Brodie
Muzzin Holl
Dermott Bogosian

Could throw Hutton/Sandin in on the b2b.

Reactions: sittler rules!!!

Cpt Maple Leaf

Jul 19, 2009
I see the lines as:
Hyman Matthews Marner
Foligno JT Nylander
Kerfoot Nash Mikeyev
Thornton Spezza Simmonds

Gally. Engvall, Brooks

Bump Foligno back up to the first, kick Kerf to the second and park Hyman on the third maybe?? All did well respectively in those roles.

Reactions: sittler rules!!!

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Another interesting question: who comes out on D assuming Bogo is back mid round? Sandin was great but Dermott has been quietly good. I like not noticing him -- he's played a simple game.

Rielly Brodie
Muzzin Holl
Dermott Bogosian

Could throw Hutton/Sandin in on the b2b.
Sandin has been better than Dermott in the games he played. It should be Dermott sitting.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
It's a shame Nash hasn't got a game in before the playoffs starts as I'd be hesitant to drop him into the lineup for game 1, not only after all that time off but having never played a single minute with this team.

If he does start, he's going to have to get to 100% of his game and get accustomed to his linemates, the system, everything in a hurry. To me, as valuable as he can be I'd prefer something safer like:

Hyman-Matthews-Marner
Gally-Tavares-Nylander
Kerfoot-Foligno-Mikheyev
Thornton-Spezza-Simmonds

That's plenty of speed in the top 9 against a quick Montreal forward group.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Engvall and Brooks will definitely be out to start the playoffs

It will come down to Nash vs Galy. I actually think Gally may get game 1 since 1) Nash hasn't played much and 2) Galy has been part of the team longer and has arguably earned the first game. Nash probably gets in around game 2 or 3 and the coaches then decide from there who keeps playing.

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
To me I think it comes down to 2 spots between 6 guys.

Mikheyev, Engvall, Galchenyuk, Nash, Brooks and Robertson will be battling for the last 2 spots. I think everyone else is a lock.

Keefe is a big Mikheyev fan so I think he is a virtual lock.

JayDog17

Dec 23, 2014
I see the lines as:
Hyman Matthews Marner
Foligno JT Nylander
Kerfoot Nash Mikeyev
Thornton Spezza Simmonds

Gally. Engvall, Brooks

Swap Kerfoot and Hyman. Makes us just about unstoppable up front.

WilliamInLondon

Mar 24, 2016
Galchenyuk might have saved his NHL career these past 20 games, but he's the first guy I sub out. The playoffs are a whole different beast, and even if Hyman or Foligno put up zero points in the series, their two-way game, grit, and ability to generate spacing make them virtual locks for the top 6. I sub in Galchenyuk for Nash or Thornton/Simmonds if the Leafs are having trouble scoring and they need some more offense for 4th line; this only works if you play him in spurts and frontload your top 9.

Mikheyev is a no-brainer. He's becoming supremely underrated based on his PK skills and counterattacking threat while short-handed. He's a must-start on the 3rd line and special teams

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I see the lines as:
Hyman Matthews Marner
Foligno JT Nylander
Kerfoot Nash Mikeyev
Thornton Spezza Simmonds

Gally. Engvall, Brooks

Foligno has underwhelmed my expectations TBH, I thought he was a steamroller, he looks more like a mouse in a maze.

Galchenyuk while not putting up huge points, works his ass off and since he joined that 2nd line, they have been on fire. I'm not sure of Galy out and Foligno in is an upgrade.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Foligno - Matthews - Marner
Hyman - Tavares - Nylander
Kerfoot - Nash - Mikheyev
Thornton - Spezza - Simmonds

If not that lineup, Galchenyuk with Kerfoot and Mikheyev and Nash in the press box, but in theory without seeing Nash in Leafs colours it makes sense to form a checking line for the playoffs and he may be the best fit to create one, Galchenyuk is a weak defensive player. I think Hyman with Tavares and Nylander provides the secondary offense that is needed behind Matthews and Marner, who can create with a lesser third wheel. I also like that each of the top two lines have talent at center and right wing and are given the teams best checker as their third wheel, the top-6 feels balanced and the best you can make with the available players.

The third line is the one with the most options for me. Depending on how seriously they want to make the proposed checking line work. A line with Galchenyuk or Simmonds instead would also work with more offense and less focus on defense. Do they lose too much offense in the top-9 with a 4th liner in Nash on line #3 or is it worth it to make sure everyone in the top-9 is defensively capable?

That leaves Galchenyuk/Nash as the decision to be made and Engvall and Brooks as the automatic black aces. Partially to blame is experience on that decision.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad