October 25th CBA Deadline for 82 Game Season (CBA & Lockout Discussion) - Part XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
In Bettman's defense, I do understand his exasperation with Fehr. to negotiate a deal, you have to agree to a framework then adjust the numbers until you both agree to a deal.

Absent the agreement part, Bettman has used two frameworks, the most-recent of which was announced months ago.

Fehr has thrown 4 different frameworks at him so far, 3 in the last week. This is way too late in the process to be introducing this stuff. Just like July was too late to start negotiations. And August was too late to table the first offer (with a framework that was subsequently abandoned).

I've always thought the players, more or less, have the moral high ground here. Asking for contracts to be honored is a less greedy thing to do than ask for cost cuts needed due to, uh, record revenue.

But it just seems to me that, regardless of what his constituency wants, Fehr is trying to start World War 3 for his own purposes. For example, when you show up an hour late to a meeting with a bunch of billionaires, that tends to piss them off royally and guys like that hold grudges when they're pissed off. That's not how you make a deal. Think he wants to go down as the guy who got rid of hockey's salary cap. He's a fool to think it possible.

Iggy77

Oct 5, 2009
Ottawa, ON
The man has years of experience, he knows exactly what he's doing.

It doesn't sound smart to give up $1.6Bn in salaries for this season and expect the NHL will give you more than that next year when league revenues won't be anywhere near $3.3B.

Fehr has thrown 4 different frameworks at him so far, 3 in the last week. This is way too late in the process to be introducing this stuff. Just like July was too late to start negotiations. And August was too late to table the first offer (with a framework that was subsequently abandoned).

Fehr has only proposed 1 framework and 1 offer which was impossible (that he didn't even run the numbers).

He's been doing nothing but showing contempt and trying to frustrate the owners in getting a deal done sooner.

NHLFanSince2020

What'd He Say?
Feb 22, 2003
Visit site
It should have read "remaining 87%"

Ah, OK, thanks.

How about the rest?

I was under the impression that, in the leagues proposal (no I didn't read it) that, with each side being at 50-50, player contracts would be made whole by deferring player payments to future years' increased revenues.

Is that correct?

If that is correct, how does the player proposal differ from this?

And does it matter?
Either way, the players would be getting their current contracts honored, correct?

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
You might wanna check your math there bud. Per year? The average salary is now $2.5 million.

I think he just meant that the average annual (hence, the "per year" part) salary was now $1M higher, not that it went up $1M each year.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
Ah, OK, thanks.

How about the rest?

I was under the impression that, in the leagues proposal (no I didn't read it) that, with each side being at 50-50, player contracts would be made whole by deferring player payments to future years' increased revenues.

Is that correct?

If that is correcnt, how does the player proposal differ from this?

And does it matter?
Either way, the players would be getting their current contracts honored, correct?

The make whole payments would come out of the players 50% of HRR, so the amount returned to players from escrow would be lower.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Andy Strickland ‏@andystrickland
According to sources Don Fehr has convinced the players the longer they remain firm, the better the deal will be down the road #NHLPA

:help:

Haha Famous last words.

They MAY get a better deal. Will just cost them a ton more money than they'd ever get back from it.

They also MAY get a worse deal.

Looks like it's on now though.. just waiting for the starting bell which I guess is when the 82 game season officially goes down the toilet and it goes dormant for another 3 weeks.

Next will be the saving of the winter classic.. then the saving of the season itself.

Iggy77

Oct 5, 2009
Ottawa, ON
Salary cap gives more money to the 3rd/4th liners while limits the top end salaries for the marquee stars.

Guess which type of players the NHLPA cares about ?

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
John Vogl ‏@BuffNewsVogl

Sabres Jason Pominville: "We feel comfortable with the proposal we made and we are going to stand behind it. It's up to them to make a move"

Which proposal?

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
John Vogl ‏@BuffNewsVogl

Sabres Jason Pominville: "We feel comfortable with the proposal we made and we are going to stand behind it. It's up to them to make a move"

Which proposal?

give us our money or else we'll take less money

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
You can't draw conclusions from raw data until it's analyzed.

Why is there another lockout if the league is healthy?

Is it your contention that there is only one way to fix an unhealthy league, that being linkage based on averaging all 30 teams' revenues?

Is it really just hard to understand? They just got the numbers wrong. Linkage IS good, as it does give cost certainty. With 50/50 under the last CBA, a LOT more teams would be in the black or significantly further in the black.

The problem is linkage was based on all the teams combined income, the outlier's on the high end and low end is what really screwed the system.

GoSensGo6172

BELIEVE!
Jan 2, 2008
Ottawa
You're going to stand behind it Jason, yeah and lose millions of dollars and alienate the fans and sink the game? Hahahaha good luck with that you greedy little ****.

Go back to University and learn a thing or two about business and finances you punk.

GoSensGo6172

BELIEVE!
Jan 2, 2008
Ottawa
Unless there's some hail mairy 11th hour miracle tonight, all of November will get wiped out tomorrow. Do the players think this is a game? The games should be on the ice, not in the boardroom. They are soooooooooooo dumb!!!

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
It doesn't sound smart to give up $1.6Bn in salaries for this season and expect the NHL will give you more than that next year when league revenues won't be anywhere near $3.3B.

It doesn't sound that way to me and you, but we aren't working on the same level as Fehr. I personally have never lead a negotiation that had 3 billion dollars up for grabs. I know Fehr has, several times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad