GDT: Oct. 28: Flames @ Senators [5:30pm MT - SN1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
I think Backlund needs to take a seat. He's been nonexistent and buttery soft. Really expected more out of him.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I think Backlund needs to take a seat. He's been nonexistent and buttery soft. Really expected more out of him.
I'm all for trading Backlund, but we need him or someone like him in the lineup at the moment. Scratching him would be terrible for our centre depth.

bWo*

0aPbhPe.gif

latest

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I'm all for trading Backlund, but we need him or someone like him in the lineup at the moment. Scratching him would be terrible for our centre depth.

That's kind of where I am at. I don't want Backlund off the roster for the sake of it (because that would be stupid), and really he is pretty much your ideal 3C. The problem is, I feel like we have a huge hole at our 2C because we are asking Backlund to fill that role. For that reason only, I would look at including Backlund in package to get an upgrade at 2nd line center spot.

If Backlund is moved, promote Stajan to 3C, then either play Bennett at C or call up Arnold or Granlund.

The 2C I'd target is Stamkos.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
The only 2C' that will be available for Backlund are older guys, and even then we will likely need to add.

I am in the camp of hoping Bennett can take the mantle of responsibility as our 2C.

Center depth is super valuable in the NHL, Stajan would be fine as a 3C I am sure, but then we are one injury away from being pretty thin on top-9 C options, maybe next year Arnold/Jankowski might be ready for a look.

Wouldn't move Backlund until the offseason though, unless we got a really good offer.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
That's kind of where I am at. I don't want Backlund off the roster for the sake of it (because that would be stupid), and really he is pretty much your ideal 3C. The problem is, I feel like we have a huge hole at our 2C because we are asking Backlund to fill that role. For that reason only, I would look at including Backlund in package to get an upgrade at 2nd line center spot.

If Backlund is moved, promote Stajan to 3C, then either play Bennett at C or call up Arnold or Granlund.

:laugh: @ the white type

I agree with what you're saying. If we could pick up a #2 center and keep Backlund as the #3 that would be idea. But I just don't see us having the disposable assets to do such a deal, so we would need to give up Backlund+ for an upgrade.

However if the Leafs were willing to eat some of Bozak's contract I would consider him as a affordable #2 centre option. He's scored 49 points in each of the past 2 years, had 28 points in 46 games in the lockout year (50 point pace) and 47 points the year before that. He wouldn't get top minutes here, but I think Bennett & Frolik are talented enough that he could score 40+ fairly easily. He seems to be the only option I can think of that would push Backlund to #3 without the cost to extreme

FLAMES666

Jan 30, 2009
Calgary
The time to trade Backlund has sailed. I was a huge advocate to trade him the last two seasons as he never showed big improvements, would always be that 30 - 40 pt #3 centerman. Everyone wanted to give him a 2nd, 3rd, 4th chance as he was never healthy. He is healthy now and still the same player. I remember i proposed a trade last year that involved Backlund and Brandon Sutter as the main pieces and it was shut down hard by most Flame fans. Looking back it may not have been such a bad idea.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
The time to trade Backlund has sailed. I was a huge advocate to trade him the last two seasons as he never showed big improvements, would always be that 30 - 40 pt #3 centerman. Everyone wanted to give him a 2nd, 3rd, 4th chance as he was never healthy. He is healthy now and still the same player. I remember i proposed a trade last year that involved Backlund and Brandon Sutter as the main pieces and it was shut down hard by most Flame fans. Looking back it may not have been such a bad idea.

A lateral move at best IMO. I'm not fooled by his hot start with the Canucks.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I remember i proposed a trade last year that involved Backlund and Brandon Sutter as the main pieces and it was shut down hard by most Flame fans. Looking back it may not have been such a bad idea.
I have never been a big Backlund advocate, but I think he and Sutter are on par with one another. I think Backlund is a little more offensive talent, but that is offset by his constant injuries. I think Backlund is a bit better defensively, but Sutter brings more size and physicality to the table.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I have never been a big Backlund advocate, but I think he and Sutter are on par with one another. I think Backlund is a little more offensive talent, but that is offset by his constant injuries. I think Backlund is a bit better defensively, but Sutter brings more size and physicality to the table.

If only we could of gotten J. Staal for him. He has been tearing it up with Carolina this year. :sarcasm:

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
I finally realized who Jooris reminds me of on the ice last night.

Me. On EA NHL :laugh: chasing the puck like a madman, flailing my body and stick at everything and everyone :laugh:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
If only we could of gotten J. Staal for him. He has been tearing it up with Carolina this year. :sarcasm:
:laugh: I don't know what they are doing in Carolina to suck all the offense out of that team. It's almost like Brent Sutter was hired. They have a mere 17 goals on the year and 9 of them are from Rask, E. Staal & Faulk

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011

Why rush it? Bennett and Monahan are expected to be established top 6 Cs, possibly as soon as next year (Monahan obviously already is, so it's just Bennett now). Is it really worth trading Backlund, adding assets to him, acquiring a guy who will pretty much be guaranteed to be older or more expensive, just to get a small performance boost a year or two early?

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
I think we ride it out with Backs, with the thought/hope that Bennett takes over 2c by the end of this year or beginning of next, sliding Backlund into his perfect role, #3 shutdown.

Also, I LOVED that hit from Bennett. I would've loved it even if he had been called for charging, that's the type of leadership and brotherhood we need, no one takes cheap shots on our guys. I guarantee every single guy on the bench, including Hartley, were saying atta boy Sam. If he can stay healthy, he can bring a real gritty, Iggy-like presence to our top lines, which I love.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I think we ride it out with Backs, with the thought/hope that Bennett takes over 2c by the end of this year or beginning of next, sliding Backlund into his perfect role, #3 shutdown.

Bingo.

Don't see the urgency in adding a bonafide second line centre right now. It's pretty clear that management has Monahan and Bennett penciled in as the teams top centres moving forward, and are fine with waiting for the latter to mature into the role.

Backlund's an adequate stopgap that can be moved down the lineup or to the wing when the need arises.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad