GDT: Oct. 28: Flames @ Senators [5:30pm MT - SN1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
If Hiller goes on the IR for 2-3 weeks and Ramo comes up and plays with Ortio, I think the all Fin netminding set-up could help give us some stability back there.

Obviously Ortio will probably get the next game, was good through 40 mins the other night and was solid in his short work tonight before the SO which is a crap shoot.

If the Flames had indeed thought they would have traded Hiller sometime in the off season to go with Ramo and Ortio this could finally be their chance.

The way the season started we just weren't afforded this option and the "healthy" three headed monster had to end one way or another.

If Hiller is hurt this could end up being a blessing in disguise.

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
****, as soon as I decide to go play pickup this game turns out to be the most entertaining one this season.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Hamilton was noticeable offensively, and not noticeable defensively. Which is exactly what we want from him. Brodie was awesome, soooo smart and crisp with his puck movement, his legs aren't back yet but that's to be expected.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
All good.

With Hiller out Joni Ortio has a real chance to steal the #1 Goalie spot. Unless Hartley wants to start Ramo. :laugh:

That would surprise approximately 0 people.

That said, I think Ortio deserves another look. Possibly even a few starts in a row.

May 27, 2012
Earth
Ran into my Flames friend in the bar tonight. We had some decent talks about the Flames. We even talked about the Flames in the bathroom with a Leafs fan at one pint and some guy starting chirping them from the stall lmao.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
So I missed the third period because I had to get some sleep before work, I couldn't let insomnia make her ***** completely.

What the hell happened?

It was 1-1 when I went to bed with some time being added to the 3rd and it looks like the flood gates opened? And Hiller is hurt now? Jesus this is terrible.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I just watched the highlights and it looks like our forwards don't care about back checking at all. On the 2nd goal against, Backlund and Frolik couldn'r tie up Ryan's stick. On the 3rd and 4th goals both were scrambled with a wide open Senator because the wingers weren't collapsing to help out.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
So I missed the third period because I had to get some sleep before work, I couldn't let insomnia make her ***** completely.

What the hell happened?

It was 1-1 when I went to bed with some time being added to the 3rd and it looks like the flood gates opened? And Hiller is hurt now? Jesus this is terrible.

Nah this is good for us. Scored a bunch of goals, the line changes worked out, Bennett went beast mode. He was easily the second best player out there after Johnny. Hartley effed up not playing him in 3-on-3 or the shootout... though Colborne, Johnny and Money are studs at it so I can see him maybe think to put him out 4th.

Hiller is out so Ortio should get more time and hopefully find a groove.

Brodie looked about 90%, the 10% was just his legs. He made smart plays and great passes.

It felt like the guys were figuring things out and feeding off the energy of Brodie and Bennett. Even Colborne had an amazing game on the top line. The guy's an absolute monster defending the puck on the wall.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
The 3rd period was a polarizing experience from OMG this is great!!!!! to these are the suckiest sucks that ever did suck.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
I just watched the highlights and it looks like our forwards don't care about back checking at all. On the 2nd goal against, Backlund and Frolik couldn'r tie up Ryan's stick. On the 3rd and 4th goals both were scrambled with a wide open Senator because the wingers weren't collapsing to help out.

I agree, the goals were rough and can't be put solely on Hiller.. But at the end of the day, we scored 4 goals. Hiller NEEDS to be able to make that clutch save when the games on the line, not let 2 stoppable goals in within 18 sec. They were far from impossible shots to stop.

Sean Monahan

JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED
Nov 25, 2011
Murrica
Anyone have a gif of Bennett destroying Cowen after the cheapshot on Gaudreau?

ImperturbableCalmLamprey.gif

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
looking at that .gif the ref let both of those hits go? Jesus, both Cowen and Bennett should have been sent off.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I agree, the goals were rough and can't be put solely on Hiller.. But at the end of the day, we scored 4 goals. Hiller NEEDS to be able to make that clutch save when the games on the line, not let 2 stoppable goals in within 18 sec. They were far from impossible shots to stop.
I never said he shouldn't have stopped them, didn't mention him at all. Just tired of the team playing like trash defensively.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Some thoughts about the game. Bennett was really good, he's been playing good for a few games now and that first goal was just a matter of time. Loved how he went for the hit after Cowen's hit on Gaudreau, though I thought that could've been a penalty.

Bad reffing in few cases. Cowen should have gotten a penalty on that hit, especially when you compare that to the situation where Bollig was called for pushing Karlsson. When Hiller was injured the penalty should have been against Wideman, not Ryan.

Flames overall lack confidence and because of that can't score. Or vice versa. First Flames have control of the game and puck, then somebody makes a simple mistake (Jooris this time), opponent scores and it seems that Flames lose their confidence and forget how to play. Something similar IMO happened against Islanders when they scored their 2nd or 3rd goal. I know goals can often change momentum of the game but for the Flames it seems to be 100% drop in play.

I cant blame Hiller for the loss, dont think there was a single easy goal. Might have to watch the goals again as soon as GCL decides to work again.

joeyabs

May 15, 2013
SoDoSoPa
I liked this game, even though we lost. Bennett found his groove and Brodie back looks like hes going to help out alot transitioning out of d zone. Colborne has looked great last few games too.

I like Bollig, but hes becoming a liability. Doesnt produce and has been taking momentum killing penalties as of late. Like some others suggested, I wouldnt mind seeing Eng on the 4th line and Smid or someone else as bottom d pairing.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
As much as I love Backlund and Jooris they were both really soft in their own end last night and have been for the last 3 games.

Would have been nice to see Hiller with 1 more save and not the .778% but now we have at least 1 goalie over .900

Bollig continues to look terrible after he looked like he would be a much better player to start the season.

Our defense looked much better though the Russell Wideman pairing still seems to have problems with puck retrieval and chemistry, neither had a bad game individually though.

I wouldn't move Engelland to forward, right now he's been playing nearly as good as Russell and if he can keep that up we have no problems with the bottom pairing. In the minors we have Hathaway that can help match Bollig physically while playing a better puck moving game.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Jooris needs to sit another game, his giveaway to Smith directly led to the first goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad