GDT: Oct. 24th - Flames @ Stars - 6:30mt - Snet Cgy

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
The Flames haven't picked up a defensemen in the top ten since Phanuef. No reason to be tired of that.
he said he was weary of it not tired of it. I took that as he is nervous about picking a defenseman in the top 10.

As for scouting reports I only know what I have read online. Roland McKeown appears to be ranked higher, but the only scouting report I could find was from his own junior teams website, so I would definitely take it with a grain of salt.

Haydn Fleury

Fleury is a physical, good skating defenseman who received more and more ice time as the season went along, and eventually was out on the ice to play against the opponent’s top lines on a nightly basis. Fleury’s game at both ends is quite impressive for his age, and is well on his way to be a top defenseman in the WHL.

For his size, Fleury has exceptional skating abilities. He has very good speed, and his footwork in tight areas is exceptional. He can maintain a very tight gap off the rush and use his reach to angle opponents to the boards and poke away pucks to create turnovers. He can still learn to take better angles on opposing forwards to take away any sort of offensive opportunities. Fleury plays a physical game, and is very difficult to play against on a consistent basis. He is very strong along the walls, and because of his speed and size, he rarely ever has to hook or trip players to prevent them from having a scoring opportunity. He does not take undisciplined penalties, and understands that he is more valuable to his team when he is out on the ice and not in the penalty box.

Offensively, Fleury is an above average puck mover. He can still improve on his passes out of the zone and allow his team to break out smoothly. He is not afraid to carry the puck himself into the offensive zone and provide another weapon on the rush. He has a good shot from the point, but needs to work on getting it through traffic or having a shorter back swing on his slap shots to get shots off more quickly when necessary. He does not possess elite vision or skills, but has shown that he can handle the puck well enough.

Roland McKeown

Roland is one of the top defensemen in the 1996 age group. He is the type of player that will be able to log big minutes at the next level because he has the ability to play in all situations and is such an efficient and effortless skater. Roland is at his best when he has the puck on his stick whether it's rushing the puck up the ice, making a good outlet pass to his forwards or quarterbacking a powerplay on the offensive blueline. He has a very good shot from the point and competes at a high level game in game out.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Would not mind picking up Leon Draisaitl at all. We need a top-line upside RW.
Everywhere I have looked he is listed as C/LW

Jake Virtanen (Hitmen - WHL), Kasperi Kapanen (KalPa - SM-liiga) and Anton Karlsson (Frolunda - Allsvenskan) appear to be the top RWers available.

Polaroid

Jun 12, 2010
Calgary
Would not mind picking up Leon Draisaitl at all. We need a top-line upside RW.

True, but I still think we should draft a center, even if we have no 1st line potential player on the RW. Centers are so hard to come by and we don't really have a 1/2nd line to go with Monahan.

That is just my opinion though.

Goodlad

Jan 15, 2013
If we can't get Ekblad, grab a centre. I think the Flames will draft in the top 3.
I can't see us being worse than Buffalo or Philly. Thankfully NJ forfeits their first this year, because they'll probably finish below us too. We'll probably be in the mix with Florida and Edmonton for those 3-5 spots.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
I can't see us being worse than Buffalo or Philly. Thankfully NJ forfeits their first this year, because they'll probably finish below us too. We'll probably be in the mix with Florida and Edmonton for those 3-5 spots.

I think philly ends up better than us, florida on the other hand. But i also see mckeown as a smaller pietrangelo so maybe he would be our pick

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
We finish with the 5-10 spot then win the lotto. I think that is a much better idea.

Aren't they supposed to redo the odds this year too?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad