GDT: Oct. 24th - Flames @ Stars - 6:30mt - Snet Cgy

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
GOOD NEWS, EVERYONE!

It can't be as bad as when the Heat played the Stars!

Calgary Flames @ Dallas Stars

6:30 pm Mountain Time on Sportsnet West
__________ __________ __________ __________ __________ __________ __________

banner-cgy_zpsba74a316.jpg

CALGARY FLAMES [4-3-2]

Projected Lineup:

Glencross.jpg
|
Stajan.jpg
|
stempniak.jpg
Curtis Glencross | Matt Stajan | Lee Stempniak
Galiaridi.jpg
|
Backlund.jpg
|
D.Jones.jpg
TJ Galiardi | Mikael Backlund | David Jones
cammy.jpg
|
Monahan.jpg
|
Hudler.jpg
Mike Cammalleri | Sean Monahan | Jiri Hudler
Bouma.jpg
|
Colborne.jpg
|
Ramo.jpg
Lance Bouma | Joe Colborne | Tim Jackman

Russell.jpg
|
Wideman.jpg
Kris Russell | Dennis Wideman
Butler.jpg
|
Brodie.jpg
Chris Butler | TJ Brodie
image.php
|
OBrien.jpg
Chris Breen | Shane O'Brien

Ramo.jpg
|
MacDonald.jpg
Karri Ramo | Joey MacDonald

banner-dal_zps3b924801.jpg

Dallas Stars [3-5-0]

Projected Lineup:
Lineups taken from the Stars GDT

Jamie Benn - Tyler Seguin - Rich Peverley
Ray Whitney - Cody Eakin - Alex Chiasson
Valeri Nichushkin - Shawn Horcoff - Erik Cole
Antoine Roussel - Vernon Fiddler - Alex Goligoski

Brenden Dillon - Stephane Robidas
Trevor Daley - Jordie Benn
Kevin Connauton - Sergei Gonchar

Kari Lehtonen
Dan Ellis / Jack Campbell

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!

Place your vWagers here

GAME PREVIEW
Courtesy: NHL.com

Season series: First of three between the Calgary Flames and Dallas Stars, and the first of two in Dallas. The Stars took two of three last season, splitting at home, and won three of four the previous season, splitting in Calgary.

Big story: It's a tale of two teams in very similar circumstances. Slightly less than a tenth of the season in the books and each is looking for the formula that will carry them the rest of the way. Each has had a rough stretch lately and will go into this matchup off significant personnel moves. The Flames would like to end a five-game road trip on a positive note after losing three of the first four.

Team Scope:

Flames: Sean Monahan is in the NHL to stay. General manager Jay Feaster announced Wednesday morning that the sixth player chosen in the 2013 NHL Draft would not return to his junior club, the Ottawa 67's, and would stay with the Flames for the rest of the season.

He was just too good to send down. Monahan's six goals in nine games lead the Flames and rank in the NHL's top 10. He's tied with captain Mark Giordano for second on the team with nine points and his shooting percentage (28.6 percent) sets the team pace as well. But most importantly, he's been irreplaceable at the center position, averaging almost 16 minutes ice time per game and figuring prominently in linemate Jiri Hudler's nine-game point streak. He's the first Flame to make the roster out of juniors immediately after being drafted since Kevin LaVallee in 1980-81, the Flames' first season in Calgary after relocating from Atlanta.

"We feel good about him. We feel good about the decision we've made," Feaster told the Calgary Sun.

Stars: Save for a 4-3 shootout win over the previously unbeaten San Jose Sharks last Thursday, these last five games have been forgettable for the Stars. Four straight road losses have fans scratching their heads, but the return of goalie Kari Lehtonen from a lower-body injury has coach Lindy Ruff looking forward to Thursday.

"Some of the redirections that have gone in, if you look, they're not bad goals," Ruff told the Dallas Morning News about Lehtonen's impact on the team. "But a bigger goalie that's playing a little bigger and understands what's coming at him and has a little bit more experience … Kari, through all the years, understands where to be on those."

Who's hot: Hudler continues to amaze in the opening weeks for the Flames. He's had points in all nine games so far and paces the team with 12, good enough to be among the top five in the NHL. His eight assists put him in the top 10. … Lehtonen was off to a good start before his injury, going 2-1-0 with a 1.57 goals-against average in three starts.

Injury report: Giordano missed Thursday's game with an undisclosed injury, skating off during pregame warmups Tuesday and not returning. He remains questionable, as does forward Matt Stajan with a leg contusion. … Stars forward Erik Cole remains questionable after missing practice with an undisclosed injury. Forward Ryan Garbutt was given a five-game suspension for leaving his feet to hit Dustin Penner of the Anaheim Ducks during Sunday's game.
banner-cgygfg_zps690b80e9.jpg

Last edited:

Fat Damon

Oct 15, 2008
According to CalgaryHerald:

The Lines:

M. Cammalleri - S. Monahan - J. Hudler
S. Bärtschi - M. Backlund - L. Stempniak
C. Glencross - T.J. Galiardi - D. Jones
L. Bouma - J. Colborne - R. Horak

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
According to CalgaryHerald:

The Lines:

M. Cammalleri - S. Monahan - J. Hudler
S. Bärtschi - M. Backlund - L. Stempniak
C. Glencross - T.J. Galiardi - D. Jones
L. Bouma - J. Colborne - R. Horak
[I can already tell you those won't be the lines since the Flames haven't ad Galiardi play center all year and after Colborne's game Tuesday it's unlikely he would be pushed to the 4th line.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
hey guys, Avalanche fan coming in peace. Didn't really know where to post this unless I bumped an old thread so figured i'd ask here. How are David Jones and SOB doing. They were guys I liked with the Avs but both just didn't seem interested in being there. The return we got has been working out real well. Tanguay was already a legend in Colorado so all he had to do was be average and fans would have been happy but he has been our best player a few games this year. As for Sarich, we couldn't be more happy. He's been one of mour most solid D and even had a hugeee snipe in the game against the leafs :laugh: . I know Sarich has sucked for Calgary the last few years but it seemes like a change of scenery was all he needed. That's why i'm checking in on the old avs guys too. They have been awful for Colorado but i'm hoping to hear good news that have turned their games around as well. I have lots of respect for the flames (congrats on your great start btw) and would love to see these guys do well here. Also if you could chime in on TJ Galiardi. I love this guy and miss him with the Avs. He seemed like one of those guys that all the players on the team loved and were friends with.

Nordberg

Sep 22, 2009
Landskrona
wall of text
I'm pleased with Jones so far. He seems to be well liked and fits right in with our system. He plays hard, skates and creates offensively. He was out for a couple of games and I didn't really notice him much in his return against Phoenix but to be fair I think I spent half of that game asleep and the other half frustrated with Dave Tippetts team defense antics so I didn't notice too much of anything.

SOB was pretty bad to start the season but I thought he actually had a good game against Phoenix and he seems to have stepped his game up a bit. He adds a bit of toughness to our softish blueline and the guys seem to like him.
I like the trade, regardless of the pure talent difference, just for the fact that we shipped out two guys who had no place here and received two players who want to contribute and add positive energy to our team. Tanguay is a good player on paper, but good riddance I say. Didn't want anything to do with him after last year. Sarich was just never going to get a chance here.

Galiardi has been pretty good apart from a couple of stupid penalties that cost the team. He'll learn from that. He's a good third line energy winger who can score every once in a while. He also seems like a great guy which I think is important.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I'm pleased with Jones so far. He seems to be well liked and fits right in with our system. He plays hard, skates and creates offensively. He was out for a couple of games and I didn't really notice him much in his return against Phoenix but to be fair I think I spent half of that game asleep and the other half frustrated with Dave Tippetts team defense antics so I didn't notice too much of anything.

SOB was pretty bad to start the season but I thought he actually had a good game against Phoenix and he seems to have stepped his game up a bit. He adds a bit of toughness to our softish blueline and the guys seem to like him.
I like the trade, regardless of the pure talent difference, just for the fact that we shipped out two guys who had no place here and received two players who want to contribute and add positive energy to our team. Tanguay is a good player on paper, but good riddance I say. Didn't want anything to do with him after last year. Sarich was just never going to get a chance here.

Galiardi has been pretty good apart from a couple of stupid penalties that cost the team. He'll learn from that. He's a good third line energy winger who can score every once in a while. He also seems like a great guy which I think is important.

Awesome thanks for the update! SOB could actually be a good defnseman but he sometimes think's he's Bobby Orr and thinks he has the hands and wheels to go end to end. If he plays his limits he could be a good, tough presence on the blue line.

Nordberg

Sep 22, 2009
Landskrona
Awesome thanks for the update! SOB could actually be a good defnseman but he sometimes think's he's Bobby Orr and thinks he has the hands and wheels to go end to end. If he plays his limits he could be a good, tough presence on the blue line.
He actually does possess some technical talent. His biggest problem is just that he's not very smart, which means that his talent is rarely used effectively. He can't read plays very well and finds himself out of position or causes a turnover with a bad pass. He also tends to take unnecessary penalties. He seems to need a short leash to be an effective defenseman. He does seem to be making progress here, at least in my eyes. It'd be great if he becomes a solid #6 because right now we're a bit lacking in physicality and meanness from the D corps which leads to us sometimes getting stuck in the D zone and giving up chances in close against stronger forward lines.

By the way, congrats on your hot start and getting Patrick Roy. Love that guy. I look forward to our teams' next meeting. Should be a good one.

Monahan>MacKinnon

Last edited:

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Great GDT, Abbotsford Heat! Thanks for putting it up nice and early too!

It would be nice to salvage 2 points and make it 4 out of 10 on the road trip. Here's hoping for an entertaining game/win!

4-3 Flames!

Aug 3, 2010
I honestly believe that the Flames could definitely have won the Phoenix game and possibly the Sharks game, but... they didn't. They didn't play the way they need to to win, so they didn't deserve it, but I think it's interesting at least to know that they actually have the ability to. The Ducks game, however, was insurmountable by the third period. Nothing to do with scoring, just how the Ducks played their game was too much for this team in its current incarnation.

Hoping for a wing to help salvage the road trip. 3-1 Calgary, Ramo has an excellent game.

P.S. AH, you forgot to link the vBookie betting thread here. All in to win!

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Dat stars defense :sarcasm:

Should be a good game. Hoping for one I at least dont fall asleep half way through. Ramo should be playing as well.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Great news, everyone! Monahan is staying with the team!

Go Flames! Mony with the hat trick :sarcasm:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I honestly believe that the Flames could definitely have won the Phoenix game and possibly the Sharks game, but... they didn't. They didn't play the way they need to to win, so they didn't deserve it, but I think it's interesting at least to know that they actually have the ability to. The Ducks game, however, was insurmountable by the third period. Nothing to do with scoring, just how the Ducks played their game was too much for this team in its current incarnation.

Hoping for a wing to help salvage the road trip. 3-1 Calgary, Ramo has an excellent game.

P.S. AH, you forgot to link the vBookie betting thread here. All in to win!
will update, I didn't throw it in last night because I didn't think it would be up yet.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
hey guys, Avalanche fan coming in peace. Didn't really know where to post this unless I bumped an old thread so figured i'd ask here. How are David Jones and SOB doing. They were guys I liked with the Avs but both just didn't seem interested in being there. The return we got has been working out real well. Tanguay was already a legend in Colorado so all he had to do was be average and fans would have been happy but he has been our best player a few games this year. As for Sarich, we couldn't be more happy. He's been one of mour most solid D and even had a hugeee snipe in the game against the leafs :laugh: . I know Sarich has sucked for Calgary the last few years but it seemes like a change of scenery was all he needed. That's why i'm checking in on the old avs guys too. They have been awful for Colorado but i'm hoping to hear good news that have turned their games around as well. I have lots of respect for the flames (congrats on your great start btw) and would love to see these guys do well here. Also if you could chime in on TJ Galiardi. I love this guy and miss him with the Avs. He seemed like one of those guys that all the players on the team loved and were friends with.
Jones hasn't played much due to a shoulder injury but has been very good.

O'Brien plays a style of game where he is destined to be a whipping boy. Defensemen like him are only noticeable when they make a big hit or make a mistake, unfortunately in this game mistakes happen more than big hits. But SOB has been exactly what he was acquired for, to be a mean SOB and protect the goalies while being adequate defensively.

Galiardi has just been awesome. Not much in the way of offensive numbers but he is all over the ice every night and does whatever we need him to.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

Jones has been great even though he has missed time, he has been everything we wanted him to be so far I am eating a lot of crow about him.

SOB is still basically useless imo. He is physical but sometimes takes it to far leading to penalties. Given that he sucks at basically everything other than being physical its hard to believe we couldn't find a better option.

Galiardi has been good other than his penalty against Wash that cost us the game. Great pker plays where ever he is needed, reminds me a lot of Glencross when he first got here.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
from Roger Millions via twitter

Roger Millions ‏@RogMillions 1m
No Horak for #Flames at skate. Think Stajan is in for tonight...may mean Horak back to AHL..will wait and see.
Expand
Roger Millions ‏@RogMillions 2m
#Flames David Jones suffered from the Flu yesterday but is taking morning skate..looks probable for tonight.
Expand
Roger Millions ‏@RogMillions 5m
No Giordano for #Flames morning skate...does not look like he plays tonight in Dallas.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
SOB enters this game with a 3-game Bobby Orr spin-o-rama streak!

AbbotsfordHeat, love the facelift to the game thread.

If I could suggest one thing, here's a gif version of that second Futurama video:

take-my-money.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad