Observations XXXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
hey guys, question for you. How has Haula played and has he mainly played LW?
He cranked it up significantly the last 6 or 8 weeks of the season. I don't remember exactly the turning point, but back when we sucked and were eyeing a trade deadline selloff, my general take was, meh, he is fairly useless, give us a 4th rounder for him.

But he really locked in a spot at center down the stretch, and if you want to call it our "3rd line", then his performance as our 3rd line center was outstanding. Not many players pull that much of a 180 in my estimation. He sure did. He has been producing better too, but it's really his all-round game, his PK, his effort, his willingness to go into traffic, all that has been fantastic down the stretch here.

I think having that defined role, once we really settled on our line combinations and roles in the 2nd half of the season, that really locked things down for him and let him focus on executing in that role. He wasn't bouncing around trying to find his spot and identity anymore.

ILikeItILoveIt

Apr 2, 2010
They are all listed as exposed/eligible. Well, not Patrick Harper.

Where I circled in red below... that's all the exempt guys. Everybody else needs to be protected or else is exposed. (Well except for Josi who is automatically protected due to NMC).

View attachment 433590
Thanks Porter. What confused me was the note at the top that said “Players who meet or are projected to meet the exposure requirements are highlighted in green”. The ones I listed, like Fabbro, are not highlighted in green. So everyone not a UFA and not listed under Exempt are exposed.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Thanks Porter. What confused me was the note at the top that said “Players who meet or are projected to meet the exposure requirements are highlighted in green”. The ones I listed, like Fabbro, are not highlighted in green. So everyone not a UFA and not listed under Exempt are exposed.
Well, everyone who is not in the Exempt list is exposed, whether they are UFA or not. Seattle could take a UFA player. In fact, if Granlund doesn't have a handshake agreement with us already and is left exposed, I think he would be a very good player for Seattle to talk to and potentially select from us. Just to add another wrinkle.

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
It was simply "Observations" and this is the 31st time it turned over. Steve did start it back at the old Predators boards as simply 'Observations' then moved it here. I don't recall it ever being 'from 303'. And if it was changed to 'Observations from 303' what happens when it hits 1000 again?

Reactions: bdub24

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
It was simply "Observations" and this is the 31st time it turned over. Steve did start it back at the old Predators boards as simply 'Observations' then moved it here. I don't recall it ever being 'from 303'. And if it was changed to 'Observations from 303' what happens when it hits 1000 again?

It was originally named Observations from 303, then it turned into Observations from Box 2 and then became the Observations which we have now in sequential order.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box

The original thread on the old boards was "Observations from 303" because initially that's where Steve's seats were. Then he got a box for a few years and it was "Observations from Box 2"

When we moved here from the NP boards it was just called "Observations" because some posters(who I believe arent around any more) objected to the idea that the thread was exclusively for Steve or that there were other implied restrictions on posting in the thread.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
The original thread on the old boards was "Observations from 303" because initially that's where Steve's seats were. Then he got a box for a few years and it was "Observations from Box 2"

When we moved here from the NP boards it was just called "Observations" because some posters(who I believe arent around any more) objected to the idea that the thread was exclusively for Steve or that there were other implied restrictions on posting in the thread.
this is Steve’s thread. This goes way back. Use to be a lot of us looking forward to reading his posts in this thread (still do).

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I miss those days before this thread became a catch-all for everyone's rambling thoughts.
Meh if it wasn't this one we would have another stickied for the same thing.

Things change, life goes on. We all love 303 but one day sooner or later neither him nor the rest of us are going to be around.

I think it was much more important early on when so many of us didn't have much of a clue about the game of hockey, but today we are all much more knowledgeable. That's one of the reasons this place is a catch all, lots of us feel like we have the knowledge to make an observation of some kind.

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.

I guess I met him a bit later, we all need a history lesson sometimes. I certainly learn from him every post, especially when his balanced analysis is a counterpoint to others running with emotion.

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
I guess I met him a bit later, we all need a history lesson sometimes. I certainly learn from him every post, especially when his balanced analysis is a counterpoint to others running with emotion.

Nothing against the folks here but the old NP boards were stacked with very knowledgeable posters. The Observations thread and each GDT were very helpful to a hockey novice like me

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Nothing against the folks here but the old NP boards were stacked with very knowledgeable posters. The Observations thread and each GDT were very helpful to a hockey novice like me
Yeah same I didn't come here until it shut down. That said the amount of knowledge the group has as a whole is a heck of a lot better than it was back in the day.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I miss those days before this thread became a catch-all for everyone's rambling thoughts.
Some of us new people don't know that whole history. I've always just thought it WAS meant to be a catch-all for everyone's rambling thoughts. I apologize for using it that way, I had no idea.

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Some of us new people don't know that whole history. I've always just thought it WAS meant to be a catch-all for everyone's rambling thoughts. I apologize for using it that way, I had no idea.

Well, at the risk of reopening and old can of worms, there was a pretty big "fight" for lack of a better word, on here about just that. People were in two camps, those who thought the Observations thread was strictly for "pure" hockey talk and others who wanted to use it more broadly. It's a shame because I'm pretty sure we lost some posters over it.

The NP boards used to be part hockey talk and part pure social chat, but the board was structured such that the two areas didnt overlap, and none of the purists had to wade through social posts to talk hockey. When NP boards were still up, this whole site was considered a haven for the more knowledgeable posters to talk "pure" hockey.

I got invited by handtrick and Steve to join here and I eventually did but early on I rarely posted here because I didnt feel like I had the knowledge base to contribute. I was more of a "lurker" here. When NP boards went kaput and this was the only option, there was quite a but of bumpiness initially and we lost a lot of folks. Some of the NP folks (Chas UK and 101st) made a new board to try to replace NP but it never caught on and I'm guessing it's been defunct for years.

I guess everything changes, but I could easily list 20 posters who never came over from NP and another 10 or so who came over but no longer post who i wish were still here because they were both good folks and knowledgeable.

Reactions: AnalogKid

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Yes the old forum this was strictly a place to talk about what happened in the game, seem like such a long time ago. Now it has transformed into opinion not what actually happened. I guess as time went by more and more folks just wanted to express what they would like to see. I am guilty of that for sure. I miss the escapades from Brian and Steve the boards were much more personal back then too like you said there were what maybe 20 of us from pregame along the glass to Observations so many good memories. Swampy's goal lamp on his hardhat after a goal, 4 or 5 of us at practice, Freds Halloween TooToo train. 101st birthday party in Steves box where most of us got crocked. The yearning just to make the playoffs the first time counting points game by game. The first playoff series Broadway shut down and the excitement. Seeing Forsberg #21 just take the ice for us. Getting clobbered in the playoffs and just being giddy we were there.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Yes the old forum this was strictly a place to talk about what happened in the game, seem like such a long time ago. Now it has transformed into opinion not what actually happened. I guess as time went by more and more folks just wanted to express what they would like to see. I am guilty of that for sure. I miss the escapades from Brian and Steve the boards were much more personal back then too like you said there were what maybe 20 of us from pregame along the glass to Observations so many good memories. Swampy's goal lamp on his hardhat after a goal, 4 or 5 of us at practice, Freds Halloween TooToo train. 101st birthday party in Steves box where most of us got crocked. The yearning just to make the playoffs the first time counting points game by game. The first playoff series Broadway shut down and the excitement. Seeing Forsberg #21 just take the ice for us. Getting clobbered in the playoffs and just being giddy we were there.
I think I sobered up somewhere over the Atlantic on my way back to Iraq.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Meh if it wasn't this one we would have another stickied for the same thing.

Things change, life goes on. We all love 303 but one day sooner or later neither him nor the rest of us are going to be around.

I think it was much more important early on when so many of us didn't have much of a clue about the game of hockey, but today we are all much more knowledgeable. That's one of the reasons this place is a catch all, lots of us feel like we have the knowledge to make an observation of some kind.

I don't have a gripe with a general discussion thread. I think my main issue is how much this thread has evolved to taking over the GDT. It's harder to look back at past games and pinpoint certain topics of discussion because the bulk of it happens here, then migrates to the GDT at puck drop, and then right back here. But I guess it could be a case of being the change you wish to see, perhaps there is more that I could do to push the GDT to become more robust than it is.

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
I don't have a gripe with a general discussion thread. I think my main issue is how much this thread has evolved to taking over the GDT. It's harder to look back at past games and pinpoint certain topics of discussion because the bulk of it happens here, then migrates to the GDT at puck drop, and then right back here. But I guess it could be a case of being the change you wish to see, perhaps there is more that I could do to push the GDT to become more robust than it is.

A lot of the busier boards have post game threads for every game. Observations used to be essentially that. I'm pretty sure Steve rewatched the games and then posted his analysis early the next morning, and the other knowledgable posters would add their thoughts, and noobs like me would ask questions to try to see if we understood what was being said....

ILikeItILoveIt

Apr 2, 2010
We’re about to leave the serene setting of pre-Round 1, where anything is possible and nobody has made a mistake or lost a game, and enter the reality of a Game 1 road game against a more talented team.

nervous?

This is what we fight for. Can we come out and play Pred March-April hockey?

I think we can.

most pressure? Saros. Needs to add a strong playoff performance to his resume.

Reactions: Loyal Legion
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad