Observations XXXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seth Lake

Jun 28, 2005
Nashville, TN
A long standing tradition is that teams who want to become competitive model their roster after the teams who made the Stanley Cup Finals the previous year.

This has been seen throughout Predators history as well. First modeling ourselves to beat Detroit, who were truly a dynasty in the 90’s to transitioning to beat the Hawks when Scotty Bowman moved over and we saw them rise in similar fashion.

Tampa Bay is now the defending Cup champs for the second year in a row. They feature a mix of talented and skilled players up front with plenty of grit and a big and mobile D who can both shut you down and move the puck just as easily. What puts them over the top is their goaltending.

I think what we are seeing through the Preds drafting over the past few seasons and also the trade for Ellis is that Poile is trying to assemble a similar roster for Hynes to shape into a contender.

Still short on stars, but honestly, not if our star players can buy into the system and play at their best.

Overall, I think it’s an interesting time to be a Preds fan as Poile maneuvers through the summer to transform this roster.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Bottom line is this. No matter what, Johansen and Duchene need to carry their own weight.
Surely the Nine_Line is going to be the de facto first line and giving plenty of rope to hang themselves with.
In the 2 season with Duchene, not only has there been the covid crap but also injuries and a constant shuffling of centers to wing and back because of the constant plethora of centers.

We can only hope a solid decision to put that line together and leave it alone will allow them to get back on track.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
What's so baffling is Duchene was crazy good the first few weeks he was here. Then he just upped and vanished

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Didn't Fil get hurt and that's when the rotation of linemates started?

Been too long to remember. But I still think that with a normal off season, a full training camp and a loaded line, his numbers will improve. I'm personally glad we didnt lose either him or Joey.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Didn't Fil get hurt and that's when the rotation of linemates started?
Yes, and Lavi never put them back together again after that either. Don't get me wrong Duchene hasn't been great but frankly I don't think either coach has made very good roster decisions around him and then you compound that with covid and injury. The big thing with Duchene is that at least the effort has been there, we aren't talking about a guy that has just been gliding around out there.

Reactions: predhead1

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Been too long to remember. But I still think that with a normal off season, a full training camp and a loaded line, his numbers will improve. I'm personally glad we didnt lose either him or Joey.
I'm glad for they same and the Preds will be much better off with them preforming than without them.

I'm also hoping the same thing, I'm just afraid the shit hand will fill up fast than the hope hand.

Yes, and Lavi never put them back together again after that either. Don't get me wrong Duchene hasn't been great but frankly I don't think either coach has made very good roster decisions around him and then you compound that with covid and injury. The big thing with Duchene is that at least the effort has been there, we aren't talking about a guy that has just been gliding around out there.
I thought I remembered being mystified that Lavi never put them back together after that amazing start.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
You know the fastest way to simultaneously maximize our 3 "best" forwards at the same time while also giving them every opportunity to crater their value beyond the point of return? Put em on a line together for the year. Real ride or die shit. If they fail what are you going to do?

Last edited:

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
You know the fastest way to simultaneously maximize our 3 "best" forwards at the same time while also giving them every opportunity to crater their value beyond the point of return? Put em on a line together for the year. Real ride or die shit. If they fail what are you going you do?
At least you know. Cratered value or not you have to try to find some spark.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad