Observations XXXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I think he may sneak in as a finalist but I don't think he will win. I think his age also hurts him a bit as I think many GM's will think he will have other opportunities.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I think he may sneak in as a finalist but I don't think he will win. I think his age also hurts him a bit as I think many GM's will think he will have other opportunities.

That’s why I kind of think Fleury gets it as a lifetime achievement type deal

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Since we have to give Saros a new contract next season, I'm all for him not getting a Vezina nod, tbh. I've always thought he could be #1. But even still, I'm not convinced he's the guy I want to lock in to a long-term Vezina-winner style of salary just yet. I wanted 4x$4M even a month ago. And tbh his great play hasn't really moved the needle for me on that. I still want to see him have a strong start to a season, and I want to see if he can maintain it across an 82-game schedule. Then maybe a juicier contract could be coming his way. Right now though... it's still too soon... I hold on the 4x4.
:dunno:

ILikeItILoveIt

Apr 2, 2010
Can anyone share a reliable source listing Pred players who are eligible for the Expansion? Cap Friendly has one but I don’t think it’s right.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Listed as not exposed:
Jeannot
Fabbro
Carrier
Harper
Potluck

All true?
They are all listed as exposed/eligible. Well, not Patrick Harper.

Where I circled in red below... that's all the exempt guys. Everybody else needs to be protected or else is exposed. (Well except for Josi who is automatically protected due to NMC).

predsed.png

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Sheesh. We are gonna lose a good young player, no matter what.

I think we almost have to trade Ellis before the draft and go 7/3 and be prepared to lose Carrier.

Or, trade Ellis, go 4/4 and lose either Arvy, Duchene or Kunin.

Or accept the fact that we are gonna lose Ellis and expose him and go 7/3 (knowing that if they take Ellis obviously they wont take Carrier). Gets us no assets for Ellis but saves us losing anyone else.

Reactions: SouthNash

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017

I think we almost have to trade Ellis before the draft and go 7/3 and be prepared to lose Carrier.

Or accept the fact that we are gonna lose Ellis and expose him and go 7/3 (knowing that if they take Ellis obviously they wont take Carrier). Gets us no assets for Ellis but saves us losing anyone else.
My latest lean is go 7-3-1 and expose Ellis. Despite previously arguing against losing his asset value. I'm just too happy with the Herd Line now, basically. Surely if Ellis is exposed, Seattle wouldn't gamble on taking Carrier? Surely? :dunno:

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011

Correct option is bolded except protect kunin instead of johansen

I would protect Forsberg kunin Jeannot trenin then Josi ekholm fabbro carrier and saros

then I would try to offer some compensation for them to take Duchene or johansen.

Last edited:
Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Correct option is bolded except protect kunin instead of johansen

I would protect Forsberg kunin Jeannot trenin then Josi ekholm fabbro carrier and saros

then I would try to offer some compensation for them to take Duchene or johansen.
This is a nice option. If Seattle had Ellis and Arvidsson to choose from, they should be very happy. And for us... we can clearly replace them from within, so it's no tragedy for us to lose one either.

I don't think we need to pay the bribe to get them to take Duchene or Johansen. Not if it's a "real" bribe anyway, like not a 1st round pick. But if they would consider taking Borowiecki as a "bribe", uh, sure. :thumbu:

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
My latest lean is go 7-3-1 and expose Ellis. Despite previously arguing against losing his asset value. I'm just too happy with the Herd Line now, basically. Surely if Ellis is exposed, Seattle wouldn't gamble on taking Carrier? Surely? :dunno:
I think we could probably get more for Ellis than what any of the additional 3 forwards we'd be protecting are worth. I've leaned towards 8-1 and protecting Carrier, Josi, Ellis, Ekholm, Fabbro, Forsberg, Kunin, RV, Saros. I think seattle would take one of Jarnkrok or Sissons as I don't think they'd gamble on the limited NHL time from Jeannot or Trenin and they won't want to buy a 8M paperweight (Duchene and Joey). Trade Ellis after the expansion draft for an upgrade on whatever we lose.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I think we could probably get more for Ellis than what any of the additional 3 forwards we'd be protecting are worth. I've leaned towards 8-1 and protecting Carrier, Josi, Ellis, Ekholm, Fabbro, Forsberg, Kunin, RV, Saros. I think seattle would take one of Jarnkrok or Sissons as I don't think they'd gamble on the limited NHL time from Jeannot or Trenin and they won't want to buy a 8M paperweight (Duchene and Joey). Trade Ellis after the expansion draft for an upgrade on whatever we lose.
Also a valid option.

I sure hope we get more than 4 or 5 more games to evaluate all this.

wadesworld

Jan 24, 2011
Nashville, TN
Since we have to give Saros a new contract next season, I'm all for him not getting a Vezina nod, tbh. I've always thought he could be #1. But even still, I'm not convinced he's the guy I want to lock in to a long-term Vezina-winner style of salary just yet. I wanted 4x$4M even a month ago. And tbh his great play hasn't really moved the needle for me on that. I still want to see him have a strong start to a season, and I want to see if he can maintain it across an 82-game schedule. Then maybe a juicier contract could be coming his way. Right now though... it's still too soon... I hold on the 4x4.
:dunno:

I wouldn't be opposed to a bit more cash, say 4x6 but I agree on the term. He hasn't proven himself enough yet for a super-lengthy deal that could make him impossible to trade if he falls off.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I don't think there's any way Seattle is going to take Jeannot or Trenin. Those guys have little track record in the league and are flying under the radar right now. We're going to be one of the few teams forced to expose a proven NHL forward in Sissons, Duchene, Jarnkrok etc. and I don't see Seattle passing that opportunity up for a guy who has 15 games of NHL experience. Same applies for Carrier. If you take a look at what kind of players other teams are going to expose, there's a deep bench for youngish NHL defensemen.

Also, leaving Ellis exposed, while long-term would be a good move, is simply bad asset management. He's regarded as a legit top-pair defenseman around the league right and has value in a trade.

As for my protection list, I still stand by:

Forsberg, Arvidsson, Kunin, Johansen
Josi, Ellis, Ekholm, Fabbro

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Also, leaving Ellis exposed, while long-term would be a good move, is simply bad asset management. He's regarded as a legit top-pair defenseman around the league right and has value in a trade.
While the term on Ellis' contract doesn't look great given his recent struggles with injuries, etc., his contract hasn't become an absolute boat anchor in comparison to some on others. (Some examples: Vlasic, Seabrook, Johnson, Boychuk, Edler.) It's a hefty contract, for sure, and it's not entirely clear if Ellis brings the heavy sort of game that Hynes seems to want to install here now. And all the injuries bring his durability and long term prospects into some question.

One of the things this season showed though is that we have some good up-and-coming depth on D. It proved the value of Ekholm, both his skill and leadership. The top 8 at the start of the season included Borowiecki, Tinordi, and Sbisa. So there is depth stepping up and we will have some options on what to do with the expansion draft.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I don't think there's any way Seattle is going to take Jeannot or Trenin. Those guys have little track record in the league and are flying under the radar right now. We're going to be one of the few teams forced to expose a proven NHL forward in Sissons, Duchene, Jarnkrok etc. and I don't see Seattle passing that opportunity up for a guy who has 15 games of NHL experience. Same applies for Carrier. If you take a look at what kind of players other teams are going to expose, there's a deep bench for youngish NHL defensemen.

As for my protection list, I still stand by:

Forsberg, Arvidsson, Kunin, Johansen
Josi, Ellis, Ekholm, Fabbro
I really really want to think that too. Most of the season I've thought that. But... as more and more of us would choose them if we were running Seattle, well... it does at least raise the question. Maybe an NHL GM would feel differently. But he's got 30 players, and a lot of middle-lineup experienced players already from his other picks... he can definitely afford to take a few gambles on younger players as well.

I'm more comfortable with exposing Carrier than Trenin/Jeannot. Because indeed there is a deep bench of D, including younger D, who should be available to Seattle, and I'm not sure there has been highly visible proof that Carrier is as good as we think/hope yet. It's more Jeannot and Trenin that I'd be slightly worried about. They represent a rarer breed of player - if they still have any further upside in production, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad