Observations XXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marty Party

Back @ The Bridge
Mar 2, 2012
Nashville
ace.mu.nu
I like both Ekholm and Ellis and the only knock I have against Ellis is his lack of size. I'd like to keep them both. I got both their sweaters in my closet.

Didn't Ellis take a hometown discount when he re-signed? A little?

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I like both Ekholm and Ellis and the only knock I have against Ellis is his lack of size. I'd like to keep them both. I got both their sweaters in my closet.

Didn't Ellis take a hometown discount when he re-signed? A little?
Given the term he got, I don't think Ellis' deal ended up as a hometown discount. The AAV was probably fair. But the term was at least 2 years to Ellis' advantage. :dunno:

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Continuing on this expansion draft topic, I think everyone here can agree that our current contending window is 2-3 years but injecting this lineup with youth the window could be a little longer. Which is why, if Seattle decides to take Ellis, it wouldn't be such a bad thing as we would get out of his contract and wouldn't have to worry about paying a 35-year-old Ellis $6.25 mil when we're trying to bring in younger guys to widen our contending window.

The salary cap will likely remain about the same for the next 3-5 years and getting out of a big contract like that would be beneficial long-term. We already have Duchene & Joey locked up long-term up front and Forsberg will join that list in two years. Paying Josi top dollar long-term isn't a problem as he is the best defenseman in the world and will be an elite defenseman for another 5-6 years at least.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
There is absolutely nothing in Poile's past that remotely makes me think he doesn't protect all 4 Dmen. In fact I think this past season will just make him go back to the rule of building from the net out.

Reactions: Flgatorguy87

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
TSN reporting the NHL/NHLPA negotiations “slowing down” over roster discussions. Slowing down on 12/16? Still bickering after all these months? How can you start games on 1/13/21 if you’re still bickering on 12/16/20?

Reactions: Flgatorguy87

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
TSN reporting the NHL/NHLPA negotiations “slowing down” over roster discussions. Slowing down on 12/16? Still bickering after all these months? How can you start games on 1/13/21 if you’re still bickering on 12/16/20?

Yep- it is time to get moving or just forget about a freaking season at all......

If the NBA can start on 12/22 there is no reason why the NHL could not have done the same...

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Sounds like the Canadian teams might have to play in the US
Canada is doing things very regionally in terms of their present Covid approach. Some cities within provinces have more restrictions than other cities, all depending on how things are going. So I don't know how broadly one could translate "uncertainty" at the present time about approvals for NHL teams. Just being uncertain doesn't mean there is necessarily any impediment. It just means they actually have to do some work to get the necessary approvals, as opposed to... just starting to play games like they might be able to in some US cities? :dunno:

Although big cities in general are frequently in the most trouble. Toronto, Montreal, cities in Alberta might have the most restrictions so far? But that doesn't mean teams couldn't play out of other buildings in municipalities that aren't as heavily restricted, maybe? If they aren't putting fans in the seats right away anyway, though, I don't know how much it really matters. :dunno:

Whatever they do in terms of alignment, though, I'm kind of liking the better-geography of our current division. It might have been high time for a realignment on better geographical basis anyway? Well, we should have St.Louis, though. But Carolina, STL, Nashville, Dallas, Florida, Tampa, Columbus seems to me like it would be a sensible starting point moving forward. After the border-crossing issue goes away, it would be a little TBD about how you do some of the other divisions and which other team falls to our group. :dunno:

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Canada is doing things very regionally in terms of their present Covid approach. Some cities within provinces have more restrictions than other cities, all depending on how things are going. So I don't know how broadly one could translate "uncertainty" at the present time about approvals for NHL teams. Just being uncertain doesn't mean there is necessarily any impediment. It just means they actually have to do some work to get the necessary approvals, as opposed to... just starting to play games like they might be able to in some US cities? :dunno:

Although big cities in general are frequently in the most trouble. Toronto, Montreal, cities in Alberta might have the most restrictions so far? But that doesn't mean teams couldn't play out of other buildings in municipalities that aren't as heavily restricted, maybe? If they aren't putting fans in the seats right away anyway, though, I don't know how much it really matters. :dunno:

Whatever they do in terms of alignment, though, I'm kind of liking the better-geography of our current division. It might have been high time for a realignment on better geographical basis anyway? Well, we should have St.Louis, though. But Carolina, STL, Nashville, Dallas, Florida, Tampa, Columbus seems to me like it would be a sensible starting point moving forward. After the border-crossing issue goes away, it would be a little TBD about how you do some of the other divisions and which other team falls to our group. :dunno:
And Nashville is the 6th best team in that They finish above only Florida with the current rosters this has not been a advantage for the Preds.

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
The NHL and NHLPA is not the only bickering going on. Now it turns out that Bettman doesn’t have the owners in line with the proposed re-alignment., which makes it difficult to negotiate with the NHLPA. Then an all Canada division is on the table in an attempt to comply with border crossing restrictions and Canadian city governments are opposing the beginning of play without some control of restrictions.
More bickering with a proposed start date of 1/15/2021.
We’ve just got to remember that there is a pandemic going on and people are dying every day. Hockey pales in comparison.
I still think this season may not happen.

Reactions: LCPreds

Marty Party

Back @ The Bridge
Mar 2, 2012
Nashville
ace.mu.nu
I think this season will happen. They'll figure it out or someone will blink at the eleventh hour.

20201218_132546.jpg

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Who knows what Nashville will look like. Hynes might play everything different. Our defense is totally different, our grinders are different. Roster really did get a pretty big makeover.

It's still ultimately gonna come down to goaltending. If we get midseason Saros from the get go, or get a rested and rejuvenated Rinne, we will be fine. If we get rusty, early season/play in series Saros and old and busted Rinne, we are screwed.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Yeah I’m not too concerned about the season happening. The start may get pushed a couple weeks, but the players have all mostly come back so that suggests to me they are planning to play.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
So there isn't expanded rosters. Still a 23 man roster with $81.5M cap.

However, teams can carry a taxi squad (up to 6 players maybe) who are essentially a traveling AHL squad. They get paid their AHL salary and have to be called up/sent down from the TS to keep the cap situation straight.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
So there isn't expanded rosters. Still a 23 man roster with $81.5M cap.

However, teams can carry a taxi squad (up to 6 players maybe) who are essentially a traveling AHL squad. They get paid their AHL salary and have to be called up/sent down from the TS to keep the cap situation straight.

I'm thinking no waivers for TS, waivers for AHL team. ECHL is raided.

EDIT: and we must lothe Viqsi.....for the year

Last edited:

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Hopefully the taxi squad has waivers otherwise it’s essentially no different than having expanded rosters. Either way any team that is cap compliant with a 20 man roster is getting a bit of a break.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Hopefully the taxi squad has waivers otherwise it’s essentially no different than having expanded rosters. Either way any team that is cap compliant with a 20 man roster is getting a bit of a break.
On the one hand, they need the waiver mechanism to preserve the integrity of the salary cap --- otherwise you are basically just giving teams carte blanche on the cap... they can pick and choose 20 players that fit $81.5M and move another 6 back and forth to the taxi squad however they need to in order to circumvent the cap? TB puts Tyler Johnson on the taxi squad? Right? No, they shouldn't be able to do that.

Although at the same time, I suspect they don't want players "on waivers" exactly either... with the potential for them to be claimed by other teams and have to move around geographically? There may be some limitations on player movement that prohibit the traditional idea of waivers, in that respect.

I hope they come up with something that doesn't allow any cap hijinx, anyway. The fact that they said the taxi squad would be making AHL salaries makes me think they'll basically just run it like AHL teams wrt waivers, even if they have to attach some quarantine periods or whatnot around any resulting player movement. In that case, Tyler Johnson still probably "clears waivers" and can be assigned to the taxi squad. But at least it's legit. And his buried cap value still counts against the $81.5M, so they only save the $1.075M.

I mean, TB is in our division now, so it's a little more relevant for us to be pushing the cap arguments and singling them out in examples, anyway. :)

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I would think if we were carrying a 23-man regular roster and 6-man taxi squad, it would be something like:
JoFA
Tomasino/Tolvanen-Duchene-Kunin
Grimaldi-Sissons-Trenin
Jarnkrok-Richardson-Cousins
Tomasino/Tolvanen

Josi-Ellis
Ekholm-Fabbro
Borowiecki-Benning
Tinordi-Carrier

Rinne
Saros

F - McCarron
F - Pitlick
F - Richard
D - Allard
D - Davies
G - Ingram

Novak, Wilkins, Craggs, Jeannot, Smith, Cooley are already in Florida.

Some of the more veteran Milwaukee depth like Harpur and Lewington, Malone and Olivier, could be left out?

I would probably lean towards leaving Tolvanen and Afanaseyev in the KHL. So maybe that opens another roster spot if Tolvanen doesn't come back?

:dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad