Observations XXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
Good Lord this game was brutal! I don't know how I didn't have a heart-attack watching this live.

The heart, effort and will that the Preds had was incredible.

And f*** them ducks! Still a full team of garbage with Perry the biggest piece of shit in the can.

Reactions: Adz

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
2017 Playoffs Round 3, Game 6 vs Anaheim.

Western. Conference. Final.

Game 6.

Fox Sports TN, 8pm (Central)
Replay at 11pm, 5am (Fri), 12pm (Fri)

*Also available on the FSGo App!

* Note the time is now 8pm for the games!

Post-Game Talk: - WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - WCF - Game 6 - Anaheim 3 at Nashville 6 - NSH Wins 4-2

Also tonight, Game 2 of the Preds Virtual Stanley Cup. The Preds are the Western conference champions, taking on Philadelphia on the Finals. Preds lead 1-0.

The game will be broadcast on Fox Sports TN at 7pm (it's why the 2017 replays are pushed back an hour) AND the FSTNGo App!

Reactions: Marty Party

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Elliotte Freidman confirmed reseeding after the play-in, so Preds, if they win, get St. Louis or Colorado.

EDIT: never mind, there will be restructuring of 1-4.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
On XM they are now saying that the start of training camp has been pushed back to August 1 with the play in round starting August 15.

Reactions: Adz

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
On XM they are now saying that the start of training camp has been pushed back to August 1 with the play in round starting August 15.

Why, why, why??? Two months before they even START training camp?

Makes absolutely no sense

Heck, by August 15 we can probably have games with fans in the stands- may as well do that if they are going to wait that long.

Reactions: predfan98

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I wonder what the motivation is for that. It looks like maybe there is a little Covid-19 bump-up starting to show, but you'd think just waiting another week would really help determine how real that is.

Although I guess there's not much difference in opening camps in the 3rd week of July and have a 3 week camp and instead opening August 1st and having just a 2 week camp? Either way it does not bode at all well for the 2020-21 season. I can't seem to help resenting this summer playoff scheme a little just because of the implications it reveals about next season. I have to instead just learn to let go of next season and accept that this playoff tournament might be all we get for a long while. :(

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
FWIW seems like Bill Daly says they aren't considering moving the start of camps to August. Although there's a double negative in there that I'm presuming is a typo and Bill Daly isn't playing word games.

On a related the NBA has released their plan which is more detailed as far as dates goes compared to the NHL. They have an anticipated start date of July 31st with the season ending by October 12th. For next season they will have the draft on October 15th and free agency starting October 18th. Nothing is set in stone but Woj who to my understanding is usually really reliable says they are looking at starting training camps on November 10th with a potential opening night of December 1st. I understand the logistics are quite a bit easier for the NBA due to smaller teams, fewer international players and Canadian teams, and easier to find facilities, but their planning seems substantially better than what the NHL has managed which is disappointing.

Reactions: PredsV82

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
I wonder what the motivation is for that. It looks like maybe there is a little Covid-19 bump-up starting to show, but you'd think just waiting another week would really help determine how real that is.

Although I guess there's not much difference in opening camps in the 3rd week of July and have a 3 week camp and instead opening August 1st and having just a 2 week camp? Either way it does not bode at all well for the 2020-21 season. I can't seem to help resenting this summer playoff scheme a little just because of the implications it reveals about next season. I have to instead just learn to let go of next season and accept that this playoff tournament might be all we get for a long while. :(

I just hope any motivation to push back the start is not due to an increase in positive Covid cases. It is still mind boggling to me how many people, including the media, think an increase in cases alone is some kind of terrifying, horrible news. It is not. All that matters is hospitalizations and deaths and both of those are dropping even as the number of cases rises (mostly due to increased testing).

I am also worried about next season- but assuming fans will be back in the stands, I will be absolutely shocked if we do not see a full 82 game season in 2021, whatever it takes. Too much money to be lost if they don't.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
FWIW seems like Bill Daly says they aren't considering moving the start of camps to August. Although there's a double negative in there that I'm presuming is a typo and Bill Daly isn't playing word games.

On a related the NBA has released their plan which is more detailed as far as dates goes compared to the NHL. They have an anticipated start date of July 31st with the season ending by October 12th. For next season they will have the draft on October 15th and free agency starting October 18th. Nothing is set in stone but Woj who to my understanding is usually really reliable says they are looking at starting training camps on November 10th with a potential opening night of December 1st. I understand the logistics are quite a bit easier for the NBA due to smaller teams, fewer international players and Canadian teams, and easier to find facilities, but their planning seems substantially better than what the NHL has managed which is disappointing.

If a big part of the NHL's strategy was to get them out there while there were no other games in town, as a marketing move moreso than anything else, well... this out to be quite deflating. :dunno:

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
This is about the 100th time I have watched the Anaheim game 6, but it always strikes me every time I watch it just what a strange game it was.

Preds jump out to the quick 2-0 lead, and pretty much from that point on it was total domination by the Ducks. Preds scored twice AND had a 5 minute power play in first period, and despite all of that were being outshot 26-8 after two periods. 8 shots on goal in 2 periods.

It is so ironic that the greatest night in Preds history was also probably their worst game of the entire first 3 rounds- crazy.

I really thought we were screwed when they tied it up in the 3rd period- I was sure we were going to lose.

But just like we did throughout the entire run, we were not going to be denied..

Reactions: bdub24

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
One more thought on the game- I had forgotten that Craig Smith missed that Game 6

That means we were missing Smith, Fiala, Johansen and Fisher. Almost half of our top 9 forwards out

I have said this before, but the fact that we won 4 games in WCF and SCF after losing Johansen was absolutely incredible.

And I was also thinking about this- if you just take a look at the Preds rosters on paper, I think you could make the argument that our overall roster we trotted out there for the bulk of that Cup run was the worst one we have had since 2013. ON PAPER. We have had more talent top to bottom in just about every season since 2014 than we did in that Cup run.

But as the cliche goes- you don't play games on paper. Just a magical run

Reactions: predfan24

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
One more thought on the game- I had forgotten that Craig Smith missed that Game 6

That means we were missing Smith, Fiala, Johansen and Fisher. Almost half of our top 9 forwards out

I have said this before, but the fact that we won 4 games in WCF and SCF after losing Johansen was absolutely incredible.

And I was also thinking about this- if you just take a look at the Preds rosters on paper, I think you could make the argument that our overall roster we trotted out there for the bulk of that Cup run was the worst one we have had since 2013. ON PAPER. We have had more talent top to bottom in just about every season since 2014 than we did in that Cup run.

But as the cliche goes- you don't play games on paper. Just a magical run

Wasn't Smith on the 4th line for part of those playoffs? I seem to remember that happening during the Blackhawks series.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Yeah Eric Francis was who the XM guys were quoting. Glad it was quickly debunked by the league.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007

I wouldnt be too disappointed. NBA is using Disney which has all the necessary facilities including housing all under one organization. I'm sure the NHL is having to negotiate with multiple hotels/housing facilities in more than one city.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
So with lower revenues for this year and next more than likely, what is that going to do to the cap? It going to be frozen in place or are teams going to be jettisoning contracts to stay under the cap?

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
So with lower revenues for this year and next more than likely, what is that going to do to the cap? It going to be frozen in place or are teams going to be jettisoning contracts to stay under the cap?
It sounds like they'll freeze it artificially, and just put in a huge escrow to make up for it. Like, if they lose 50% of their revenue (a real possibility if we don't see arena-full hockey until 2021), then basically players are only going to get 50% of their salaries. But they leave the cap stuck where it is today, jobs aren't lost, and theoretically everything will spring back to normal in 2021-22.
:dunno:

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
It sounds like they'll freeze it artificially, and just put in a huge escrow to make up for it. Like, if they lose 50% of their revenue (a real possibility if we don't see arena-full hockey until 2021), then basically players are only going to get 50% of their salaries. But they leave the cap stuck where it is today, jobs aren't lost, and theoretically everything will spring back to normal in 2021-22.
:dunno:
Guess the players don't have much choice unless they want to see lots of players unsigned or basically forced to sign for nothing.

Bad time to be a UFA.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Guess the players don't have much choice unless they want to see lots of players unsigned or basically forced to sign for nothing.

Bad time to be a UFA.

Don't you know it! Their offers are going to be low because everyone knows receipts will be low. They could put in a one time deferral clause for current UFA's -- but of course that opens up all sorts of cans of worms for GM's expecting to lose a player/salary the coming year, too. Covid is certainly showing how much everything depends on everything else working the way it's supposed to! Nothing is working the way it used to--every turn requires new rules and guidelines. Do you just put everything on hold for an undetermined time hoping you can eventually go back to the way it was or do you just forge a new path and forget the old ways?

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I think if I'm a younger UFA like Granlund, I probably gamble on myself and take just a 1-year deal to push things off to next season. If I'm a somewhat older UFA like Smith, I guess I'd have to just really look at what term I'm offered, and if for example I'm pretty comfortable in Nashville already and we're willing to re-up him at about the same salary, well, that's maybe not the home-run he might otherwise have sought in free agency, but it's still pretty good.

Should be interesting. Might want to keep a wee bit more cap space open if possible to shop for "bargains" when the music stops.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad