Observations XXV

Status
Not open for further replies.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
Two things I'd do if I'm the coach.

Put Turris with Joey and Arvy. See what they can do as a unit. While Jarnkrok hasn't looked bad in his two games, he is not a long term solution there. Get Turris going more than he already is. He and Laviolette must not see eye to eye on something for him to be banished to fourth-line minutes. I just don't get it.

Second thing I'd do, swap Joey and Granlund on the PP units. While the first unit is doing well, the second unit is dragging. I am not a fan of Joey on the right half boards. It kills any one timer chances. Put Granlund in that spot. On the second unit, put Turris on the left half boards and Bones on the right half boards with Joey down low, much like Duchene on the first unit and let Smith play the role of Arvy in the slot. It allows for much better puck flow IMO and you spread the wealth of talent.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
The way I see our current use of players, it seems Lavi is running a 1A/1B and 3A/3B line. The way things shook out in the 3rd at LA, one of the bottom lines got hot and saw more time. Tonight, Turris had 10 fewer seconds of ES time than Arvy.

After six games there are 12 Preds on a 55 point pace or better for the season ... 6 of those are currently at a point per game or better. The one person missing from that list is Smith. For all of the hand wringing about Turris, it is Smith that is losing out statistically from the new lines ... a 20+ goal scorer in five of the last six seasons with none so far this season.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
they are all good wins, but this was impressive. and it sort of shows that patience is needed when people try to evaluate players and rebuild the team after 5 games.
I think it's just a different perspective. Some fans are more laid back. Some are more into armchair GM-ing and playing the fantasy what-if games. I'm going to evaluate players on every game, and absolutely explore every idea that comes along to improve the team. Even after 5 games. It's just the way I follow sports. This 1 game doesn't change any of the "issues" I see with the team. But writing 200 posts about those seemingly minor issues here doesn't mean I'm not happy with a majority of other things that I don't bother to write even 1 post about. I'd still definitely make changes, even after this great game. The team is still not "perfect". The endless quest for unattainable perfection is entertaining to me as a sports fan. Other fans have their own ways of being entertained.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Bob McKenzie says the Turris situation in Nashville is one worth watching. Let's see what happens.
It'll probably be worth watching for 4 more years too. But I'm up for it. The more Turris trade talk the better! And the more he can play well and ramp up his value, the betterest - then we get good results for the team on the ice AND trade talk.
:popcorn:

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I think it's just a different perspective. Some fans are more laid back. Some are more into armchair GM-ing and playing the fantasy what-if games. I'm going to evaluate players on every game, and absolutely explore every idea that comes along to improve the team. Even after 5 games. It's just the way I follow sports. This 1 game doesn't change any of the "issues" I see with the team. But writing 200 posts about those seemingly minor issues here doesn't mean I'm not happy with a majority of other things that I don't bother to write even 1 post about. I'd still definitely make changes, even after this great game. The team is still not "perfect". The endless quest for unattainable perfection is entertaining to me as a sports fan. Other fans have their own ways of being entertained.
No offense but the Turris stuff has gotten to be like a broken record at this point. Yall have said the same things 100 times since the end of the season.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
No offense but the Turris stuff has gotten to be like a broken record at this point. Yall have said the same things 100 times since the end of the season.
Yeah, and I'm going to say it 100 more times too during the season, no apologies. :DD

We're pretty lucky that the team is in such great shape right now that there isn't a lot to nitpick and not as big a gap to "unattainable perfection" as a lot of teams have. But then those few imperfections out there get some serious amplification. Turris has a big spotlight accordingly.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Yeah, and I'm going to say it 100 more times too during the season, no apologies. :DD

We're pretty lucky that the team is in such great shape right now that there isn't a lot to nitpick and not as big a gap to "unattainable perfection" as a lot of teams have. But then those few imperfections out there get some serious amplification. Turris has a big spotlight accordingly.
Just not sure why though. It's pretty evident at this point Poile isn't going to move him just to move him and he isn't going to just give him away either. There isn't really anything to discuss until you see him actually on the trade block.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Just not sure why though. It's pretty evident at this point Poile isn't going to move him just to move him and he isn't going to just give him away either. There isn't really anything to discuss until you see him actually on the trade block.

Bob McKenzie saying that it is a situation to watch is pretty much the same as being on the "trade block".

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Turris can't win with some folks. He's playing well and it's just about "increasing his trade value." Irony is that Turris with a regained form is a better player than anybody we'd get back trying to unload his contract. It should be pretty obvious with games like last night that both him and Bonino can greatly benefit this team on the ice.

Reactions: triggrman

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
That goes back to the prior post... it's entertainment. And there have been things to discuss. New developments. Turris playing well. That's new. That might make him more tradeable. New line combinations, new patterns in utilization. It changes constantly. A fan in Detroit suggests they could be interested. Something to discuss. McKenzie says something - perhaps the most noteworthy item of all, since he's not necessarily noted as somebody prone to random musings. Something to discuss. New things every day, every game! It's exciting! He's going to be "on the trade block" for 4 more years, as far as I'm concerned.

Reactions: Flgatorguy87

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
they are all good wins, but this was impressive. and it sort of shows that patience is needed when people try to evaluate players and rebuild the team after 5 games.
One should have known that the first 5 to 10 games were going to be a little sloppy and have some ups and downs. The final roster never even came close to playing together during the pre-season.

Oh and on another note:
You people that are talking about Fabbro needing to be moved down in the lineup for some magical unicorn of a Dman that Poile will trade for are ridiculous. Though he made some glaring mistakes in a couple situations he is still the second best Dman in the defensive zone on the team.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
One should have known that the first 5 to 10 games were going to be a little sloppy and have some ups and downs. The final roster never even came close to playing together during the pre-season.

Oh and on another note:
You people that are talking about Fabbro needing to be moved down in the lineup for some magical unicorn of a Dman that Poile will trade for are ridiculous. Though he made some glaring mistakes in a couple situations he is still the second best Dman in the defensive zone on the team.
Last time I recall mentioning moving Fabbro down, it wasn't about anything real-time. It was just a contingency against him being worn out later on in the season. He's doing great so far. Better than we could by rights have expected. But even still, the grind of the NHL season is a big challenge for a rookie. I don't want a magical unicorn Dman. But I would definitely still have an ear to the ground for any minor upgrade on Irwin/Weber we might practically find. It goes hand in hand with my qualms about our 3rd pair. Having a stronger 3rd RD behind Fabbro would work both ways. First and foremost, to improve our 3rd pair. Second, to provide at least some insurance in the event that Fabbro falters later on. He might not falter. If he doesn't, super. Improving the 3rd pair will still help us.

Reactions: nine_inch_fang

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA

Oh and on another note:
I think he's looked a little physically overmatched at times, but he belongs and he's going to improve as he learns from mistakes and gets more comfortable with playing at this level. Same people wanting to trade a forward for the unicorn defenseman now will be clamoring to trade for another forward come spring. :loony:

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Has anyone actually suggested moving Fabbro down the lineup? Everything I've read has been regarding finding an upgrade on the third pair.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Has anyone actually suggested moving Fabbro down the lineup? Everything I've read has been regarding finding an upgrade on the third pair.
If anything, I would still be happy to see him quasi-moved up in the lineup (if you call it that) per the Josi/Fabbro and Ekholm/Ellis theme. Last game didn't add any momentum to that of course. But some of the previous ones certainly established a case. It's early, but I'm not really expecting any bulk shifts, we've seen the same things often enough in the last few years that one good game isn't really going to change the argument.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
I'm probably just conflating all of the different stuff I've read(so maybe nothing was said here) and probably should have started that sentence with "The" instead of "You". Amazingly there are a lot of people talking about it though.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Carr clears waivers and will stay with the team according to Lebrun. No news on Forberg yet but Preds practice at 12:30 PT according to Vingan. Will be interested to see what we do with the lineup if Forsberg is out. Would guess Smith or Turris moving into his slot, but personally would like to see Tolvanen get a brief look especially if its going to be a relatively short absence for Forsberg.

PredsHead

Nov 14, 2018

Yeah but that would put Weber playing too many minutes unless you go and trade for another RHD. I'm not sure who would be available there that would be an upgrade over Fabbro. Mark Pysyk in Florida is available, but I don't see him being better than the guys we have in Milwaukee to be honest. Would Columbus move David Savard? He's about the only guy I could see possibly being available who actually would be an upgrade. I could see Columbus moving him for picks, but we would probably need to have them retain some salary since he has another year on his deal.

NightowlPred

Apr 7, 2017
Turris can't win with some folks. He's playing well and it's just about "increasing his trade value." Irony is that Turris with a regained form is a better player than anybody we'd get back trying to unload his contract. It should be pretty obvious with games like last night that both him and Bonino can greatly benefit this team on the ice.
Fully agree with you. The return on any potential Turris trade would probably be Subbanesque (I didn‘t check but I am pretty sure that word is NOT made up) so the main benefit would be that we‘re shedding his sallary to have enough cap space to sign both Josi and Granlund. But these kind of trades you better not pull midseason during your cap window.
I am acctually happy whenever I see Turris having a good game, not because it ups his trade value, but because it gives the Preds a better shot at winning.

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
Carr clears waivers and will stay with the team according to Lebrun. No news on Forberg yet but Preds practice at 12:30 PT according to Vingan. Will be interested to see what we do with the lineup if Forsberg is out. Would guess Smith or Turris moving into his slot, but personally would like to see Tolvanen get a brief look especially if its going to be a relatively short absence for Forsberg.

I don't understand all of the nuances of how these things work, but why waive him if he's staying with the big club?

Or did they waive him, but then decide to keep him up after Forsberg went down last night?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad