Observations XXV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I think this upcoming six game stretch is set up to be a pretty big test for the team and an indicator of what we should do moving forward. We've got Hawks, Jets, Canucks, Blues x2, and Golden Knights with all but one of the Blues games at home. Nothing is necessarily a "must win" in the first half of the season, but these are all teams we will need to be able to beat if we are actually contenders and a poor showing will likely have us actually out of a playoff spot (rather than just due to less GP). On the flip side a strong showing gives us a good kick up the standings and shows that we are one of the teams to beat in the West.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
What is going on with Shea Weber that has me seeing more and more chatter recently on the recapture?

He had a slow start to the season and some idiots started speculating about him retiring.

But hes been pretty hot lately so it should die down.

hido

Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Nashville
Fire the coach. The team is complacent. No player that is key is fighting for a spot in the league or a long term contract (think Arvi or Forsberg several years ago). They all have proven themselves and have justly been paid. They need a coach that is going to challenge them in a way that it appears is beyond the current staff’s capability. This team is too good to be cr@@@ing the bed this often. I know it’s November. Whatever. This is bad. I don’t post here a lot but I’ve been following the board daily for years. I’m a STH. It’s easy to see what’s happening. Time for a change.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Fire the coach. The team is complacent. No player that is key is fighting for a spot in the league or a long term contract (think Arvi or Forsberg several years ago). They all have proven themselves and have justly been paid. They need a coach that is going to challenge them in a way that it appears is beyond the current staff’s capability. This team is too good to be cr@@@ing the bed this often. I know it’s November. Whatever. This is bad. I don’t post here a lot but I’ve been following the board daily for years. I’m a STH. It’s easy to see what’s happening. Time for a change.
May only be November but teams not in a playoff spot by Thanksgiving have been show to have a much lower success rate at making the postseason. There are exceptions though (including more than one Cup winner).

Reactions: hido

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
we obviously should be much better than we have been the first quarter of the season. we are failing in too many areas to isolate specific problems. the PK, defensive coverage, lack of finish, timely goals, goaltending, lack of scoring from so many key forwards, third pair difficulties... just too many to point at one thing and say that's the reason.... too much talent to be playing this poorly.

time for this team to do some soul searching and man up.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Over 90 shots on goal in the two games against the Hawks ... 5 goals ... none of those goals from our top six forwards. That pretty much encapsulates our ES scoring over the past 10 games ... Bonino and Smith have more even strength goals than our entire top six in that span, We need them to show up on the scoresheet ... maybe a little getting to the low slot and fighting for rebounds would help.

Pekka getting pulled twice in his last few starts is problematic. He isn't to blame for all of the goals while between the pipes as the team hangs him out to dry but some of the ones he's let in are just ugly. Pekka's .835 sv% and Jusse's .895 for the month of November aren't going to get it done ... Pekka's numbers look even worse if we look at the penalty kill where he has sub .800 sv%.

The huge question that I keep having year after year is where is our leadership group ... who is our leadership group ... in times like this? Even Mason commented that this team isn't coming out with "fire."

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
We may be facing the fact that in a few years people will look back at the roster and wonder why it couldn't win. We may be looking at one of those teams that looks great on paper, but just aren't that great together.

That said if you are Poile you need to figure out what is going on. This keeps up much longer and you are going to be trading Smith and Granlund at the deadline for future assets.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
They still have time to turn things around. I just have 0 faith they will with how the roster is currently constructed, including the coaching staff.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
They still have time to turn things around. I just have 0 faith they will with how the roster is currently constructed, including the coaching staff.
I don't mind the roster, but to me Lavi is just throwing stuff at the wall and hoping something sticks. He's not an X's and O's guy, and I think that fact is starting to show. I think the reason his tenures tend to be shorter is due to that fact, and once the go get'em and motivation stuff gets old he doesn't have anything to go to. I'm not saying he's lost the room, I just think whatever he did in those first few years to get guys going doesn't work anymore, and the system he runs pretty much requires you to go full out all the time.

Reactions: predfan98

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
I don't mind the roster, but to me Lavi is just throwing stuff at the wall and hoping something sticks. He's not an X's and O's guy, and I think that fact is starting to show. I think the reason his tenures tend to be shorter is due to that fact, and once the go get'em and motivation stuff gets old he doesn't have anything to go to. I'm not saying he's lost the room, I just think whatever he did in those first few years to get guys going doesn't work anymore, and the system he runs pretty much requires you to go full out all the time.

Lavy needs assistants who are good Xs and Os people but he sticks with McCarthy. The addition of a PP coach is paying off. We need somebody on the staff to address the PK specifically, and team defense more generally and do it soon.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
I gotta kind of wonder if needing to make up ground in the last half wouldn't be good for this team.

f*** the division, President's trophy, f*** all the banners that don't matter. I want the cup and the current trend of the playoffs is, don't win the division. If you want the cup, no division.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
**** the division, President's trophy, **** all the banners that don't matter. I want the cup and the current trend of the playoffs is, don't win the division. If you want the cup, no division.
we can barely win a game.

it doesn't matter if we win the presidents trophy, division. thats all ignorant superstitions. we need to win as many games as possible.

this team f***ing stinks right now. we should be focused on whatever the hell keeps this talented roster from consistent 60 minute performances.

Reactions: NNCbama

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
I blame the current funk on the Calgary game. we haven't played well since allowing that huge 3rd period comeback. to me, it's obvious we allowed that game to get in our heads. I'm confident that we will turn it around at some point soon.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I blame the current funk on the Calgary game. we haven't played well since allowing that huge 3rd period comeback. to me, it's obvious we allowed that game to get in our heads. I'm confident that we will turn it around at some point soon.
And yet somehow that game put the Flames in a funk just as bad? Was there some kind of spooky Hallowe'en curse going on for everybody there? The game did seem to have a bit of a supernatural element to it... no black catfish thrown on the ice or anything???
:freddie:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->