Observations XXV

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Eerily close to... last season Dan Hamhuis had 5 assits in 57 NHL games?

Ok, the PIMs aren't close. It doesn't get a lot different with Irwin getting 7 pts in 44 games or Weber getting 8 in 62.

Not that I'm actually arguing for Tinordi or anything. Just pointing out that the bar is not exactly set high if you just go by the meagre pointage our bottom pairing defensemen are likely to put up.

I haven't paid attention to Tinordi and don't have reports from Milwaukee or anything. But his numbers the last couple years in the AHL seem a little better? Maybe he has taken a little step, got over his problems from the Montreal/Arizona fiasco and has straightened himself out a little? A D who is 6'6" and brings a little toughness would actually be nice on our back end. I have no idea if Tinordi could actually keep up or not. But I've seen his competition here... so I guess I wouldn't rule anything out. :(

Never to Tinordi getting any NHL time. That just needs to never happen.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Eerily close to... last season Dan Hamhuis had 5 assits in 57 NHL games?

Ok, the PIMs aren't close. It doesn't get a lot different with Irwin getting 7 pts in 44 games or Weber getting 8 in 62.

Not that I'm actually arguing for Tinordi or anything. Just pointing out that the bar is not exactly set high if you just go by the meagre pointage our bottom pairing defensemen are likely to put up.

I haven't paid attention to Tinordi and don't have reports from Milwaukee or anything. But his numbers the last couple years in the AHL seem a little better? Maybe he has taken a little step, got over his problems from the Montreal/Arizona fiasco and has straightened himself out a little? A D who is 6'6" and brings a little toughness would actually be nice on our back end. I have no idea if Tinordi could actually keep up or not. But I've seen his competition here... so I guess I wouldn't rule anything out. :(

I will give you a report from Milwaukee. Tinordi has a lot of reach with his stick. He isn't the faster skater or the toughest Dman. He is much more of a stay at home kind of guy, than a Bobby Orr type. He did have 8 G 14 A 85 PIMs in 75 games (of 76 games) last season. He had similar numbers for WBS the season before.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
good start.
Duchene, Granlund, Forsberg, Josi, Ellis, Eckholm, Johanson, Turris, Fabbro, Arviddson, Rinne have been about everything you hoped they would be.
I hope for more from Bonino, Watson, Sissons, Smith, Grimaldi, Jarnkrok, Saros.

Reactions: AtlantaWhaler

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
This game was a huge difference for the Josi-Ellis pair. I only noticed one time where there was an attempt to hang out below the dots like forwards.

I think we talked about it in the training camp thread, if Josi would play like a defenseman and join the rush instead of leading the rush all the time he'd get more points and give up less odd man rushes. Last night was a good example.

Reactions: Predsanddead24

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
According to this Athletic article today we are both the oldest (average age = 28.7) and shortest (average height = 72.3 inches) in the NHL. Youngest team is Colorado (average age = 25.7) and tallest is Vancouver (average height = 73.9 inches).

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
According to this Athletic article today we are both the oldest (average age = 28.7) and shortest (average height = 72.3 inches) in the NHL. Youngest team is Colorado (average age = 25.7) and tallest is Vancouver (average height = 73.9 inches).
So signing Boyle wouldn't hurt us... we're already oldest, can't get any oldester. And at least it should help pull up our average height... :dunno:

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
Worthless small sample but:
Have not been called for a penalty in the third period, 61.5% of Preds goals have been in the third.
Only 7.7% of goals have been in the first, not so good. That's only 1 first period goal.

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
good start.
Duchene, Granlund, Forsberg, Josi, Ellis, Eckholm, Johanson, Turris, Fabbro, Arviddson, Rinne have been about everything you hoped they would be.
I hope for more from Bonino, Watson, Sissons, Smith, Grimaldi, Jarnkrok, Saros.
Very close to agreement on this evaluation. Would include Weber, Irwin and Hamhuis in the need more list. Problem is on the need more list there are several who can offer more and several who apparently cannot.
I’d probably include Weber, Irwin and Hamhuis in the probably cannot offer more. I just get scared to death everytime the 3rd pair is on the ice.
At forward Bonino and Jarnkrok are probably giving it all they have and the team can afford them on the ice. Grimaldi is so easy to like and I want him to do well but he just has no finish.
Carr either needs a shot or is so bad that he’ll only see the ice upon injury and maybe not then.
BUT I think the number one problem plaguing the Preds are all the “laid back players” they have. Its all about skill, skill, skill and work, work, work. Great and necessary attributes but some of their really good players need some fire in their bellies that shows on the ice. I won’t name names because I really don’t know them but sometimes they’re just too nice.

Reactions: NNCbama

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Very close to agreement on this evaluation. Would include Weber, Irwin and Hamhuis in the need more list. Problem is on the need more list there are several who can offer more and several who apparently cannot.
I’d probably include Weber, Irwin and Hamhuis in the probably cannot offer more. I just get scared to death everytime the 3rd pair is on the ice.
At forward Bonino and Jarnkrok are probably giving it all they have and the team can afford them on the ice. Grimaldi is so easy to like and I want him to do well but he just has no finish.
Carr either needs a shot or is so bad that he’ll only see the ice upon injury and maybe not then.
BUT I think the number one problem plaguing the Preds are all the “laid back players” they have. Its all about skill, skill, skill and work, work, work. Great and necessary attributes but some of their really good players need some fire in their bellies that shows on the ice. I won’t name names because I really don’t know them but sometimes they’re just too nice.
I want to like this post more than just once.

It is really the "fire in the bellies" thing that worries me most. In the big picture. It's still a fun team to watch and I am at least modestly confident they will have a successful regular season. There have certainly been worse times to be a Preds fan! But the last two playoff seasons have really made me antsy in terms of what this team can ultimately achieve. Aside from Subban, who is of course gone now, I don't know who really Made A Statement that they've always been ready to elevate their game in the playoffs lately? The 2017 run was fun and many players excelled that year, the team is overall fun, things are mostly quite positive... but... I still wonder who really goes through a brick wall to take us to the big prize right now? :dunno:

(This is of course very much in the "first world problems" vein!)

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Turris has been playing well, and his goal was a typical winger style goal. I'd like to have seen him rewarded with a game on that line. I guess Lavy is intent on creating three solid scoring lines, but then why even bother with Turris on wing through the preseason?

jlsg

Nov 8, 2006
Lineups today aren't because someone did anything wrong, my guess is to create an absolute matchup nightmare for Caps.

Reactions: hido

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Lineups today aren't because someone did anything wrong, my guess is to create an absolute matchup nightmare for Caps.

Agreed. Seems to me the lineup change is the result of the fact that Turris has looked solid through the first three games.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Looking the the schedule I see we have four sets of 4 games in 6 days. Is this something that happens often and I've never noticed? I guess maybe I've just never paid that much attention to the structure of the schedule.?.?

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
Jarnkrok - Johansen - Arvidsson reminds me of the Jarnkrok - Johansen - Neal line we used for about a year. Pretty sure that line lasted until Ribeiro imploded but Arvidsson might have already been playing with Johansen before that happened.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
wow. what a hockey game. This is one more exciting hockey team, easily the best offensive team we have had since the Kariya years. Might even prove to be better than those teams. A few observations from a happy hockey fan;

..Granlund-Duchene-Forsberg are going to be a monster line if they stay healthy all year.
..And with fewer offensive players on his line, this might force Johansen to shoot and score more.
..some rough turnovers in this game. the fabro trip and the defensive chaos following. the granlund getting walked and failing to clear the puck, the awful Bonino turnover on the PP
..rinne wasn't on. beaten cleanly too many times. looked like his angles were slightly off.
..Duchene. what hockey idiots on here the last couple said he wouldn't make a difference, that he was just another 2nd line center?
..Forsberg should score his 40 with Duchene.
..if we only had a really good 2nd line LW'er I can't imagine how good we would be offensively
..the PP wasn't great, but it is now always dangerous.
..not sure on our 2nd PP unit.
..can't believe we left Ovechkin open in the faceoff circle on the PK twice.
..for the first time in years, I don't panic when we fall behind.
..Ekholm. a huge bomb.
..thought right up until the bonino goal that that line had been struggling
..I don't disagree that smith probably needs to be a RW'er. but man we need a strong LW'er
..love our zone entries on our PP
..teams that give up a shorthanded goal lose about 80% of the time in NHL. we didn't

there will be rough spots this year, and slumps, and losing streaks. But. this is an exciting team with huge possibilities. we will go as far as our goaltending will take us. gonna be a fun ride.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad