Observations XXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlwaysPreds

Mar 13, 2019
New Jersey
This season, for better or worse, was bogged down by the unwieldy weight of expectation - somehow even more than last year?

I am glad the season is over and that they were eliminated by a "pedestrian" NHL squad (every NHL team has a chance to win every night - no one is pedestrian). I somehow feel closer to how I used to feel about the Preds before that '17 Cup run. They're a hockey team I love and hope against all odds they win 98 games a season. But really, I've simply always wanted to see them care on the ice as much as I do in the stands. That's what started my Preds fandom so many years ago - those scrappy Preds teams will hold a special place in my heart equivalent to these more decorated recent squads.

In my opinion they played with more heart and effort in Game 6 than the rest of the season combined. As a hockey fan, I saw that on the ice, the Stars were better and should win the series, much like all the Red Wings v Preds series back in the day (before 2012). At the end of the day, on the scoreboard it wasn't enough, but for me that was the first satisfying game all year.

I'm looking forward to the next chapter in Preds history. What a ride it has been. Wouldn't trade it for anything. Thanks to all of y'all for another insightful season on these boards - have a great summer.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
That comment leads me to believe nothing was wrong with Ellis and he's butt hurt that someone would think he played bad enough he might be injured.

All of those comments also lead me to believe that these guys were definitely trying to coast through the season and then catch another gear and it left them playing half ass.

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
That Ekholm answer is crap. Basically they are bored with the regular season, they are so talented they do just enough to get in and get a top spot then try to turn it on in the playoffs.

And what a surprise they can't find that switch.

Past Hawks and Kings teams were good enough to coast by in the regular season and turn it up in the playoffs. Ekholm's comments lead me to believe they believed they were at that level and.....well.....they aren't AND they won't be going forward.

Marty Party

Back @ The Bridge
Mar 2, 2012
Nashville
ace.mu.nu
My observation is that I'm buying a Smith and a Grimaldi shirsey this week.

I hope Boyle can to stay with us.

I like Subban as a Pred but I don't think he'll be able to stay past his current contract due to the price tag required to keep him.

Like the guy, and it's a shame that he got injured, but I wish Simmonds luck in his future endeavors.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
This team has no future untill they figure out how to win on home ice again.

Some of that has to (like a lot else) be on the coaches. When we lose so often at home it's obvious we arent making proper use of last change to get the matchups that give us the best chance to win

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
The big question is if Lavy or the assistants are not fired, are they willing to change their philosophy/tactics/strategy to maximize the team we have. More zone defense and less pinching by the d. Let the offense flow from the offensive players, better puck support and a completely new set up on the pp. I think Trotz changed his approach after we let him go and he had to deal with Ovy in DC. I think he let the forwards be more creative.

Send Lavy and the assistants to coaching school.

Jul 12, 2007
CANES !!! LMAO, four #1's bounced by the four WC's. This is worse than the NCAA tourney. But good for interest and enjoyability of the playoffs. Not so good for NHL $, I'm sure.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
That's not good.

Not unexpected either, however.

Lavy's long answer up there is an example of why I've always liked him though. He seems earnest, honest, and I don't doubt his ability. He's entirely competent. He takes the time to explain himself, and I have to think he communicates well with the players likewise.

But I still think it's just part of the job description that when you fail that long after trying that hard, the responsibility is real at this level. There should be an ultimate accountability. Nobody knows why it didn't work out. For all the sleepless nights and different looks they threw at the wall, nothing stuck. When that happens, it's the clarion call, the portents are writ, the neon signs should be flashing. It was time for a change.

Poile made a mistake here, I believe.

Hopefully there's still room to bring Housley back on board with the Associate title, though. At least add that critical extra mind back to the mix. (And maybe secure an interim HC for November if things don't start well next season in the process).

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Not even a slight hesitation. At least say "we're going to take some time to evaluate everything" and make them feel some heat for a few weeks.
Well, on the bright side it saves us our months of wrangling about it and lets us move on. No need to regurgitate those coaching candidate lists every few days and whatnot.
:handclap:

Reactions: Legionnaire11

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Incredibly disappointing. Guess we're content with the division title and just making it into the playoffs, regardless of how impotent we looked while doing it. Yup, that does sound a bit spoiled. Still...

Last edited:

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
I am very disappointed. The team looked terrible most nights. Someone needs to take the fall us underperforming. Poile is an idiot and the ownership bigger idiots for letting them stay.

Reactions: predfan98

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
See yall in two years because I'm not wasting another season like this last one being frustrated every night.

If I was a Season ticket holder I'd call and tell them I want my damn money back.

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
Any email addresses we can send complaints to? I know we can email our reps but we need someone higher up on the food chain.

Of course, if we continue to suck, we might luck into a top 3 pick.

Bluebird

Feb 25, 2019
Nashville, TN
I just don't understand how they can justify retaining the entire coaching staff, especially one who oversaw the 21st worst PP season in NHL history.

Dumbfounding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad