Observations XXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
For the record, I play D and D (Fourth edition). I also think Captain Marvel would make an excellent 1C.
I haven't actually played it since the 80's... but dude had no idea how complimentary his post actually was. Venom, Slayer, Metallica, and Exodus as soundtracks. Bonus points if you ever heard of Celtic Frost or Hellhammer. I had an '81 and '83 set in red boxes that I can remember. I bet I still have them in a crate in the basement somewhere.
:yo:

Captain Marvel would make an excellent... well just about anything she wanted I reckon.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
It's only a "masquerade" if you for some reason think it's anything different than what it is. That's on you if you for some reason think it's meant in any other way. This whole board is fantasy GM stuff because we absolutely ALWAYS will lack the fundamental necessary information for our discussion to be anything other than fantasy. Wrapped up in our own biases and idiosyncrasies. And served with a sprig of parsley. And a generous dash of salt.
:poutine:
I think there's a great deal of latitude within the realm of "this could realistically happen" and "this might not be realistic but might be a good idea" before you get to the land of fantasy GMing and unrealistic scenarios. Long offseason with not much constructive to talk about and free agency always fuels that kind of posting, it's just seemed even more prevalent than the norm this year.

Reactions: PredsHead

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
Dungeons and Dragon's talk can continue here

And for the record, I think of Josi as more Neutral Neutral. Peks is for sure lawful good.

Suter is probably lawful evil.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
I'm not really sure where to ask this but thought I'd put it here.

Now that it has been shown that hockey can be hugely successful in non-traditional southern markets, what are the chances of someone giving Atlanta another go? It just seems like there has to someone out there who would feel that if it can work in Nashville then surely we can find a way to make it work in Atlanta.

I didn't follow the Thrashers situation that closely so no idea what truly happened to them. So perhaps this is more of an Atlanta problem and not a hockey problem but just thought I'd throw it out there as a discussion item now that we're in the lull period.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA

Now that it has been shown that hockey can be hugely successful in non-traditional southern markets, what are the chances of someone giving Atlanta another go? It just seems like there has to someone out there who would feel that if it can work in Nashville then surely we can find a way to make it work in Atlanta.

I didn't follow the Thrashers situation that closely so no idea what truly happened to them. So perhaps this is more of an Atlanta problem and not a hockey problem but just thought I'd throw it out there as a discussion item now that we're in the lull period.
All depends on the ownership and arena situation. IIRC, the Thrashers situation become untenable when ASG (who had never really cared much about the team, they wanted the Hawks and the arena) sought to dump the team while also effectively cutting it off from the arena revenue stream (essentially making them a "renter" of the arena--that's basically a non-starter for a pro-team). This, of course, was when ASG wasn't in the midst of suing each other (which they continuously did over the better part of a decade).

League would undoubtedly like to go back there, but owing to past history I don't think they even consider it barring an absolutely ideal situation with a highly committed owner with very deep pockets (e.g. if Blank ever showed a real interest in the sport). There's just other markets where there isn't such a high risk (or at least the perception of high risk).

nhlfan79

Feb 3, 2005
Atlanta, GA

This has been covered in multiple long threads here. The short version is that the Thrashers never, ever had stable, committed ownership during their entire tenure. First, they were owned by faceless AOL-Time Warner, a corporation in the middle of collapse by the time they first hit the ice. Then, there was the canceled sale to David McDavid, for which he sued Time Warner and won hundreds of millions of dollars. Finally, the Atlanta Spirit Group took the team as part of a package to get the only thing they really wanted, which was the Hawks and the arena rights. From that very moment, these basketball-only people gutted the hockey roster, cut back virtually every expense (scouting, inadequate facilities, no head coach for a full season, no marketing at all, etc.), with the full intent to evict them from their building at the first opportunity that they could legally do so.

If Atlanta had an NHL franchise with committed ownership, it would be the first time in history that that's ever happened.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
If Atlanta had an NHL franchise with committed ownership, it would be the first time in history that that's ever happened.

Seems like this may be the key. And the first thing I would probably try to do is pay whatever is required to poach Sean Henry from the Preds.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
At what point do we start to worry that we havent heard a Josi extension announced?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad