Observations XXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

predfan98

Aug 5, 2007
I'm telling you. I think the org is in for a shock about how thin the ice is for the fanbase. As quickly as it mushroomed, it'll disappear twice as fast. Its the culture we live in.

I know a lot of people that dropped their season tickets this march. All for different reasons, some were 1/2 sth for years but the preds really jacked up their prices this year, some only had tickets because of Stanley cup year, $$, ages, kids, etc. but overwhelming reason was season just wasn't as fun.....

And people are seeing all the multi game packs that the preds offered this year, and going , hey, I can get premium games and not be a sth.... a lot of people aren't happy with that .

And generally a lot of non hockey stuff in arena was a cluster this year...

And everywhere the past 2 weeks, only one person that didn't want the coach gone...so a lot more people interested , but more critical..

I wonder if they still have a waiting list for sth.

Reactions: bdub24

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
So on NHL Network, Stu Grimson had a breakdown of how all of our problems were PK Subban's fault. :shakehead

He broke down a bunch of goals saying what he did wrong. He talked about the goal (in either game 3 or 4) where PK was kind of laying on Radulov and then the puck went out front and Seguin scored. Meanwhile, THERE WERE 4 OTHER PREDATORS WATCHING BEHIND THE NET AND NOT ONE SAW SEGUIN SKATE THROUGH THEM UNTOUCHED FOR A GOAL! But that was all PK's fault!

Then Stu talks about how Ekholm is one of his favorite and more underrated defensemen, but he had a bad series. Then why don't you break down the goals Ekholm was on the ice for? Or Ellis? Lord knows there was plenty there to critique.

There is a lot of blame to go around the whole team, but to single out PK is such f***ing bullshit.:shakehead

Reactions: NNCbama

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
So on NHL Network, Stu Grimson had a breakdown of how all of our problems were PK Subban's fault. :shakehead

He broke down a bunch of goals saying what he did wrong. He talked about the goal (in either game 3 or 4) where PK was kind of laying on Radulov and then the puck went out front and Seguin scored. Meanwhile, THERE WERE 4 OTHER PREDATORS WATCHING BEHIND THE NET AND NOT ONE SAW SEGUIN SKATE THROUGH THEM UNTOUCHED FOR A GOAL! But that was all PK's fault!

Then Stu talks about how Ekholm is one of his favorite and more underrated defensemen, but he had a bad series. Then why don't you break down the goals Ekholm was on the ice for? Or Ellis? Lord knows there was plenty there to critique.

There is a lot of blame to go around the whole team, but to single out PK is such ****ing bull****.:shakehead

Subban's getting a ton of criticism from people since he's the highest profile member of our d (and since it fits an old narrative about him), but I thought all 4 of our d-men were pretty bad. Ekholm probably played the best in the d-zone but he took so many dang penalties.

Reactions: bdub24

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville

There is a lot of blame to go around the whole team, but to single out PK is such ****ing bull****.:shakehead
Someone should show that idiot the Scott Stevens break down of our defensive coverage.

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
To be honest, I'm not super crushed over going out in Round 1. I'm definitely a lot less angry than I was the past two seasons, and partly I think that's because I had pretty low expectations going into the playoffs to begin with.

All season long our terrible PP, inconsistent depth scoring, and defensive miscues were our biggest problems, and it was exactly the same in the playoffs.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land

I agree with you, and Stu is basically a 7 foot piece of click bait yellow journalism in a suit...and I happen to think Subban was easily either the best or second best D man over the course of the series...BUT...this is the flip side of the off ice asset that is PK Subban. He is the face of the franchise. A legit hockey celebrity. So he is going to get singled out and called out. Because when his name get mentioned, for good or ill, it gets people to pay attention.

Reactions: NoNecksCurse

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017

Typical. Subban showed passion this series I thought. He got some points, but of course our offense and PP were trash in general so that doesn't exactly stand out. And he wasn't on the first PP anyway. Some folks just have an agenda. I liked that in Game 6 there was a clear coaching adjustment to jump the D and pinch on zones. I think we should do that all the time with our team. PK did it on that tying goal play and got burned bad. Full blame on him for a bad decision. But he also gets credit on the Watson goal. Get pucks on the net at the right time and good things can happen. The Radulov critique is garbage. He had his man. What did everybody else do with the rest of the Stars?

End of the day the one bad play is a bit of a wash with the goal for. Nobody says he is perfect. But looking past that I thought he played hard and showed some playoff-style moxie getting in scrums and mixing it up with Benn and looking more like his classic self with some plays. I would say he was our best D. Narrow margin because Josi also played a lot better than last year. Those two guys SHOULD be our best two D anyway, however you rank them. We lost the series based on other players not showing up, not Josi or Subban.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
So, I don't feel as bad about getting knocked now. Vegas wow :eek:

Post season pressers from Poile and Lavy today.
This needs to be "Lavy is fired". Full stop.

It won't be that, and I'm going to be disappointed that Poile is making the same mistake that Lavy did. They are a little too complacent/loyal to really make it as top contenders. They need to push accountability a little harder at all levels, despite whatever ties they've formed to players/coaches in the past. They got close, but to stay there or make it even further they have to be a little more ruthless, alas. :(

Actually that's not "bad" in isolation. It probably makes them better people. But it isn't going to get us a Cup.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
This needs to be "Lavy is fired". Full stop.

It won't be that, and I'm going to be disappointed that Poile is making the same mistake that Lavy did. They are a little too complacent/loyal to really make it as top contenders. They need to push accountability a little harder at all levels, despite whatever ties they've formed to players/coaches in the past. They got close, but to stay there or make it even further they have to be a little more ruthless, alas. :(

Actually that's not "bad" in isolation. It probably makes them better people. But it isn't going to get us a Cup.

Yeah as much as I want Laviolette to be fired I seriously doubt it happens. Here's to hoping they at least do something about the assistant coaching, but I'm somewhat doubtful that happens either. I was too young to care about these sorts of things for most of Trotz's tenure, but does anyone know if they ever forced coaching changes on him?

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Yeah as much as I want Laviolette to be fired I seriously doubt it happens. Here's to hoping they at least do something about the assistant coaching, but I'm somewhat doubtful that happens either. I was too young to care about these sorts of things for most of Trotz's tenure, but does anyone know if they ever forced coaching changes on him?
Good question. We had Peterson and Gardner for seemingly forever for a while there. When Gardner was replaced by Horacek, it's not like Gardner was going off to a promotion anywhere else. Then after like a decade Lane Lambert came in to replace Peterson, but Peterson just seemed to retire at that point? And then we added Housley. It was pretty stable even with assistants for that 15 year stretch. My general impression would be that Poile generally leaves it totally up to the HC. But that is just a guess.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Typical. Subban showed passion this series I thought. He got some points, but of course our offense and PP were trash in general so that doesn't exactly stand out. And he wasn't on the first PP anyway. Some folks just have an agenda. I liked that in Game 6 there was a clear coaching adjustment to jump the D and pinch on zones. I think we should do that all the time with our team. PK did it on that tying goal play and got burned bad. Full blame on him for a bad decision. But he also gets credit on the Watson goal. Get pucks on the net at the right time and good things can happen. The Radulov critique is garbage. He had his man. What did everybody else do with the rest of the Stars?

End of the day the one bad play is a bit of a wash with the goal for. Nobody says he is perfect. But looking past that I thought he played hard and showed some playoff-style moxie getting in scrums and mixing it up with Benn and looking more like his classic self with some plays. I would say he was our best D. Narrow margin because Josi also played a lot better than last year. Those two guys SHOULD be our best two D anyway, however you rank them. We lost the series based on other players not showing up, not Josi or Subban.
I fully disagree. he was consistantly beat to pucks, consistantly lost board battles. The only difference between him and Ellis was their size.

Josi was far better, Ekholm despite his penalties was also better.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Also Grimaldi evidently broke a rib and strained an oblique near the end of the season. Sounds like both Grimaldi and the team want an extension to happen as well. Does anyone know if Grimaldi is an RFA or UFA? Capfriendly says RFA with arbitration while the Predators contract tracker has him as a UFA.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Also Grimaldi evidently broke a rib and strained an oblique near the end of the season. Sounds like both Grimaldi and the team want an extension to happen as well. Does anyone know if Grimaldi is an RFA or UFA? Capfriendly says RFA with arbitration while the Predators contract tracker has him as a UFA.

Hes 26 so should still be RFA

Edit also only 5 pro seasons. So RFA with arb rights is correct t

predwings

Jan 26, 2011
Nashville TN
So I'm guessing nothing major out of the Poile/Lavy press conferences?

Yea a bunch of nothing, they are using the draft to hide any information. They say they will meet with the players "soon" but haven't really got a time frame or any information. Also doesn't seem like Peter is interested in any staff changes from his responses to the questions today. Poile did however leave us with a little nugget near the end saying "He wouldn't be opposed to a little bit of everything" when referencing trading, signing UFA, and letting someone go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->