Observations XXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedWillys

Dec 13, 2017
I feel like our window closed as quickly, if not quicker, than it opened.

As bad as our PP was, and knowing someone like Stone was available, it was foolish to not throw the farm at him while we have a cup window open. Instead we go get 4 C+/B- players for depth purposes. We’re going to lose two of them in McCleod and Simmonds, maybe Boyle too. And at the end of the day our PP gets worse and we struggle to score more than one goal a game.

For some reason we have a habit of not going “all in” on elite talent. Instead we pick up the Hartman’s of the world and expect it to tilt the ice.

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015

As bad as our PP was, and knowing someone like Stone was available, it was foolish to not throw the farm at him while we have a cup window open. Instead we go get 4 C+/B- players for depth purposes. We’re going to lose two of them in McCleod and Simmonds, maybe Boyle too. And at the end of the day our PP gets worse and we struggle to score more than one goal a game.

For some reason we have a habit of not going “all in” on elite talent. Instead we pick up the Hartman’s of the world and expect it to tilt the ice.
You say "trade for Stone" yet seem to forget that we couldn't come close to matching the package Vegas gave.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019

To be fair we did acquire a 60 point guy in Granlund that failed spectacularly. Ultimately, Stone wouldn't have fixed this teams problems either.

Mass

Feb 18, 2013
Baltimore, MD
The concept of "a window" in sports is incredibly overrated. Pretty sure the Sharks window closed in 2014 after losing 4 straight in the 1st round with their aging stars. Don't get me started on the Caps. This first round could not be any more proving of the fact that success in hockey is just all over the place.

Reactions: Scoresberg

Montross

Askarov.
Oct 4, 2013
You say "trade for Stone" yet seem to forget that we couldn't come close to matching the package Vegas gave.
Huh? This is what Vegas gave up: 2017 1st round Defenseman Erik Brannstrom, forward Oscar Lindberg and a second-round pick in 2020.

Poile could have easily met or beat that deal if he wanted to - Fabbro, a 1st rounder, and Fiala just off the top of my head. So let's not pretend Poile couldn't come close shall we?

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
"gIvE uS oNe MoRe ChAnCe Mr. PoIlE"
- 2017/18 Predators
I said this multiple times all year. it was obvious this team was poorly constructed and did not have it. i was consistently mocked by the residential snobs of the board for the opinion and for being negative.

I'm the captain of "this team doesn't have what it takes to win a cup" bandwagon.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I said this multiple times all year. it was obvious this team was poorly constructed and did not have it. i was consistently mocked by the residential snobs of the board for the opinion and for being negative.

I'm the captain of "this team doesn't have what it takes to win a cup" bandwagon.

15 teams that enter the playoffs don't have what it takes.

Welcome to the NHL.

Reactions: hido

RedWillys

Dec 13, 2017
Huh? This is what Vegas gave up: 2017 1st round Defenseman Erik Brannstrom, forward Oscar Lindberg and a second-round pick in 2020.

Poile could have easily met or beat that deal if he wanted to - Fabbro, a 1st rounder, and Fiala just off the top of my head. So let's not pretend Poile couldn't come close shall we?

Almost exactly what I would have said. The package for Stone wasn’t as steep as I thought it would have been. Plus he signed long term 2 days later.

If we had not traded for Boyle, used that 2nd plus Fiala and Fabbro we would have all been buying Stone’s Preds jersey. Plus, we could have still picked up Granlund some other way if we really wanted him, but I doubt the need would be as great if we had Stone.

RedWillys

Dec 13, 2017
To be fair we did acquire a 60 point guy in Granlund that failed spectacularly. Ultimately, Stone wouldn't have fixed this teams problems either.

Fair but for the same pieces we gave up at the TDL we could have had a much better player in Stone, is my ultimate point.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
15 teams that enter the playoffs don't have what it takes.

Welcome to the NHL.
so when did the switch flip like everyone was telling me?

or you are you repeating the same bs cliches these weak ass players did all year? it's a 3% chance to win a cup just based on 1/31 win. no kidding. this team never had a shot. start with the PP and then pick from a multitude of other issues.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Almost exactly what I would have said. The package for Stone wasn’t as steep as I thought it would have been. Plus he signed long term 2 days later.

If we had not traded for Boyle, used that 2nd plus Fiala and Fabbro we would have all been buying Stone’s Preds jersey. Plus, we could have still picked up Granlund some other way if we really wanted him, but I doubt the need would be as great if we had Stone.

Maybe Stone didn't want to sing long term here though. I still don't think Stone fixes this team enough to actually make them a threat. Hell his team could very well go out in the first round too despite an outstanding performance by him.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Fair but for the same pieces we gave up at the TDL we could have had a much better player in Stone, is my ultimate point.

Fair enough. Would've rather just held on to Fiala and our other prospects and built for the future. Acquiring anyone at the deadline was just a bandaid for systemic problems. Stone may have been the answer long term but I'd rather try to make those moves in the offseason than midseason.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
so when did the switch flip like everyone was telling me?

or you are you repeating the same bs cliches these weak ass players did all year? it's a 3% chance to win a cup just based on 1/31 win. no kidding. this team never had a shot. start with the PP and then pick from a multitude of other issues.

Well the other teams had a lot of issues as well if we ended up winning the division.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017

I don't think you're looking at Brannstrom the way most NHL GMs apparently are. He's considered a much bigger talent than Fabbro. I would go out on a limb here and say that the Sens would have taken Brannstrom over Fabbro + Tolvanen. They really see him as one of the elite bluechip prospects in the game. We simply did not have anything that could have done the trick. Once Vegas agreed to let Brannstrom go, that was game over for anybody else who wanted to make a bid.

Reactions: TitansVolsPreds615

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
Well the other teams had a lot of issues as well if we ended up winning the division.
yes they did. STL fired yeo and are the favorites in the west.

WPG was bounced and dallas completely changed their team structure halfway through the season and honestly should have bounced us in 4/5 games.

you're making my point. we didn't have a punchers chance to make a run.

RedWillys

Dec 13, 2017
Maybe Stone didn't want to sing long term here though. I still don't think Stone fixes this team enough to actually make them a threat. Hell his team could very well go out in the first round too despite an outstanding performance by him.

Absolutely true. We will never know if Stone would have signed here. But I do know we could have at least *tried* to get him, and put together a better package. I don’t know why we have a habit of not going after that skill level of a player.

Everyone here is screaming for a coaching change to various degrees, including me, which is the biggest issue at hand.

Stone, or frankly anyone at this point, probably would have struggled under this coaching regime and not changed the outcome. But if we get the coaching changes we desire, we’d have more top end talent for a different staff to build around.

RedWillys

Dec 13, 2017
I don't think you're looking at Brannstrom the way most NHL GMs apparently are. He's considered a much bigger talent than Fabbro. I would go out on a limb here and say that the Sens would have taken Brannstrom over Fabbro + Tolvanen. They really see him as one of the elite bluechip prospects in the game. We simply did not have anything that could have done the trick. Once Vegas agreed to let Brannstrom go, that was game over for anybody else who wanted to make a bid.

If that’s the case then I guess I’m glad we didn’t go that route. Didn’t realize he was so highly regarded.

Hopefully a new staff here maximizes our younger talent, if we get one.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth

WPG was bounced and dallas completely changed their team structure halfway through the season and honestly should have bounced us in 4/5 games.

Look at Tampa. You can have as flawless a team as you can and still get bounced. There are no guarantees, 16 teams go in and one comes out on top.

If you're always looking for the "if this team has it or not" you'll end up looking your whole life. As long as you get into the playoffs, anything can happen - few bounces here and there and maybe a powerplay goal or two and tonight we're going to the 2nd round instead of Dallas.

Reactions: TitansVolsPreds615

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019

Exactly. St. Louis and Dallas adjusted when they had problems early in the season. We had early season success then never changed anything again through the rest of the season. Back stretch of the season into the playoffs the Blues, Stars, and Avs were the three best teams in the division whereas us and the Jets were buoyed by success earlier in the season. The results of the play from Central division are really quite unsurprising.

Reactions: NoNecksCurse

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I'm impressed by Fabbro, he played pretty well with what he was given. One of the top 4 has to be traded and he could probably even slot into a top 4 role next year. There will be hiccups but we've gotta get rid of Ellis or Subban.

Fabbro was a huge positive takeaway from this series for me. I really didn't think he would look as good as he does and I'm excited to see him continue to develop.

Reactions: NNCbama

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
Look at Tampa. You can have as flawless a team as you can and still get bounced. There are no guarantees, 16 teams go in and one comes out on top.

If you're always looking for the "if this team has it or not" you'll end up looking your whole life. As long as you get into the playoffs, anything can happen - few bounces here and there and maybe a powerplay goal or two and tonight we're going to the 2nd round instead of Dallas.
wholeheartedly disagree. we were outright whipped in 4 of 6 games. we were the better team in 1 of the 6 games. if rinne doesn't steal game 3 AND bishop doesn't let in 2 absolute softies, then this is over in 5.

this series reminded me of the early playoff days. no real shot at the cup, just a matter of when it's over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad