Observations XXII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Montross

Askarov.
Oct 4, 2013
we wake up this morning at 28-18-4.

….If we go 25-0-7 the remainder of the way we finish with the exact same record we finished with last year.

...that's right, we now have lost the exact number of games we lost last year (53-18-11). with 32 games remaining.

...pretty disgusting to me.
Crazy to think they have already matched last season’s loss total. And I saw Vingan post about how the PP is almost as inept as it was when the franchise first started. That is simply unacceptable with the talent on this roster.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
As awesome as the Central has been in the past few season we are this years version of the old Southeast. The fact that the Jets havent run off and buried us is amazing. That none of the Avs, Wild, or Stars are even threatening us is mind blowing.

I guess an optimist might think if ever there was a year to have a year like this, this is the year.

But I'm not an optimist so this sucks donkey balls
I got bored and decided to crunch some numbers for this season so far and last year.

Looking at the standings and doing the math to figure out each division's combined point per game total it goes like this....

This year:
Atlantic - 1.13
Metro - 1.10
Pacific - 1.09
Central - 1.08

Last year:
Central - 1.20 (good lord)
Metro - 1.12
Pacific - 1.08
Atlantic - 1.06

My takeaways are that our division isn't great this year, but 2 of the other 3 divisions top to bottom aren't much different. (and the other is boosted by Tampa Bay.) Also, last year didn't have a lot of parody. The Atlantic and Pacific were either worse or the same as the Central this year, the Metro was solid, and ours was unreal.

Reactions: predfan24

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Nice work Drake. I really hadn't paid attention to the east. Now I see that the Isles are leading the Metro (!!)

And how crazy is it that Calgary is the only team with even a remote chance of catching Tampa for the Presidents Trophy

Reactions: predfan24

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Five consecutive games without a PP goal (20 unconverted opportunities in that time) ... down to a 13.5% conversion rate for the season.

Starts so slow that even Mase calls them out coupled with an invisible powerplay lead to losses against very beatable teams. It's beyond time for the leadership group to step up and take action.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Five consecutive games without a PP goal (20 unconverted opportunities in that time) ... down to a 13.5% conversion rate for the season.

Starts so slow that even Mase calls them out coupled with an invisible powerplay lead to losses against very beatable teams. It's beyond time for the leadership group to step up and take action.

This is where we miss Shea Weber the most. I just dont think Josi is going to rally these guys, and Peks cant do it when his play has been suspect lately.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Since 1998-1999, NHL teams have played 597 seasons.

Only 36 had worse PP% than the Preds do this season.
I remember one season in recent history, 2011-12, we had the top power play in the league and lost in 5 in the second round. The year we made the Final we had the 16th ranked PP. It's yugely beneficial to have a great power play but I don't think it's quite as vital in the playoffs from the standpoint that less calls are made.

With that said, yes it's pathetic this year and needs to be fixed.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
I'm not worried about having a great powerplay. Simply mid pack would do. The difference between a 20% conversion rate and the team's current 13.5% is 11 goals so far over the 170 powerplay opportunities.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Let's talk about the PP a little bit because honestly it's the elephant in the room in terms of unlocking this team's full potential.

How do you fix it?

First, I've seen reference to getting a new coach. OK, going down that path, who are we going to snag more than halfway through the season?

Second, I've read or heard a few times that part of the issue is lack of practice time available to even solve the problem. If that's true then I'm not sure a new coach really answers anything if there is no time to actually spend correcting the problem.

Finally, let's assume it is a coaching issue. Is there some reason they couldn't simply bring in help to solve the problem without getting rid of any of the current coaches? This assumes they can even find available time to solve anything (#2 above).

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
So apparently part of our issue with the PP is the fact we keep using point shots. According to a couple of guys on NHL radio with the changes to modern defenses it is now the single worst shot in the game percentage wise.

It's the reason you don't see a ton of teams use it anymore and is at least part of the reason ours has been so bad.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
So apparently part of our issue with the PP is the fact we keep using point shots. According to a couple of guys on NHL radio with the changes to modern defenses it is now the single worst shot in the game percentage wise.

It's the reason you don't see a ton of teams use it anymore and is at least part of the reason ours has been so bad.
Well, our guys do seem to move it around so much that eventually somebody just gives up and shoots... whether a point man or somebody near the wall... it just doesn't seem like they shoot when it's the best moment, more just because a shot is "overdue". So to me, whether the shot comes from the point or anywhere else, they aren't timing it right, they aren't shooting when they've got the opponent or goalie at a disadvantage, but more as a "last resort". They've had stretches in the not-distant past where Ellis or Subban in particular were very effective with point shots. I don't know if I buy that a point shot is automatically ineffective. But it's definitely not going to work when there's no traffic and they don't have the goalie moving or screened, if it's more just a desperate hail mary after just having tossed the puck around too long. :dunno:

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
point shots are definitely the worst shot on a PP.

now ES, point shots are all that's available at times. it's all about traffic in front of the net.

we have the talent/personnel to run just about whatever PP we would like. it's all the same w/ what 303 refers to and our umbrella. it just gets funneled back to the point for a shot/one timer.

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
Nice work Drake. I really hadn't paid attention to the east. Now I see that the Isles are leading the Metro (!!)

And how crazy is it that Calgary is the only team with even a remote chance of catching Tampa for the Presidents Trophy

Trotz is a great coach. He really excels with teams that aren't dripping with offensive talent. Will he make the Hall of Fame?

Jonesey

R.I.P. Steve AKA Pred303
Feb 17, 2009
Tennessee
I really wish we would move Forsberg to the other side of the ice on the PP. His one timer is incredible but we are wasting it on having him on his off-wing playing for the curl snap shot when no one is screening the goalie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad