Observations XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Singleton

Jun 23, 2005
Dickson, TN
It's a very human trait to get tunnel-vision when trying to solve a problem, especially when you have an approach in which you strongly believe and just want to give it a bit longer. I sometimes wonder if coaches are even more prone to that trait. I know I can be when coaching youth football or youth basketball. On the flip side, some level of tunnel vision is a good thing.

our handedness somewhat limits the optimum setups and personnel on our PP. if we run a pure umbrella with three out front it depends on having three good onetimer shooters on the perimeter and two guys that can screen crash for rebounds. johansen likes to look pass first on one wing, and subban tends to hold onto the puck too long out top. these delays allow defenders to get out and block the one timers we do get.

Subban's shot from straight out is great. But, he does hold on to the puck too long and also turns the puck over too much. I wonder if he would be more effective in the Ellis spot on that off side slot.

when we try to run a regular overload set up, we have a righty johansen who has to run off the left halfboard. which means you want a good left handed shooter in the high slot. we don't really have that scoring lefty that we need.

I wonder how Josi would do in that spot. He has an excellent shot and shoots left. While it's odd to see a defenseman play that position on the PP, if you set that aside for a second he does that some of the traits you want opposite of Johansen. So, could it work?

and in turn running the PP off the left halfboard means we have forsberg forced to play down low below the goalline, taking our best scorer out of one timer and high danger shooting ares. we don't have a good enough lefty pp quarterback to run a PP off the right half board where we could get forsberg in the high slot.

Could Ekhom or Josi run a PP from out high? I wonder if Fiala could handle running it on the half board. I think he has the vision and skills to make the passes, but I'm not sure he would be able to keep the puck.

it's sorta a personnel problem that forces us into an umbrella type attack, which in turn means we are very limited to perimeter type shots.. add in that our zone entries are well scouted and defended and it makes for a perfect storm of suck currently.

Zone entries are impressively bad for a team with the number of players that possess both speed and puck handling skills.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Is that Uber driver who recorded the Sens players complaining about their power play still in Arizona? I'd like him to record some of our guys too. We'll be in town shortly.

Reactions: bdub24 and Gh24

Jonesey

R.I.P. Steve AKA Pred303
Feb 17, 2009
Tennessee
upload_2018-11-13_11-37-32.png

This is nice to look at.

wadesworld

Jan 24, 2011
Nashville, TN
I will never understand why we don't send out Turris, Johansen, and Forsberg in that order, for every single shootout.

I get that Ellis has a high percentage. Send him out 4th or 5th if you want. But let's not leave our shootout hopes in the hands of defensemen.

Sure, our highly skilled forwards might still get stopped/hit the post, but at least we'll know we gave ourselves the best chance possible.

Reactions: Aardvarksson

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015
I will never understand why we don't send out Turris, Johansen, and Forsberg in that order, for every single shootout.

I get that Ellis has a high percentage. Send him out 4th or 5th if you want. But let's not leave our shootout hopes in the hands of defensemen.

Sure, our highly skilled forwards might still get stopped/hit the post, but at least we'll know we gave ourselves the best chance possible.
The way Lavi has always done it, he rewards the guys who do the best job in the shootouts in practice. Not sure there is much more strategy to it than that.

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
Maybe that's what Lavi thinks he's getting when he's sending Ellis out there, the best chance possible.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Ellis is likey a better goal scorer than both Johansen and Turris.
Career numbers
Turris 152 gp 626 gpg .18
Joey 119 gp 529 gpg .22
Ellis 55 gp 413 gpg .13

Not far off for a defensman
Forsberg gpg is .36
Arvi gpg is .32

Ovechkin gpg is .61 that's insane.

All regular season stats. Doesn't include playoffs

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Maybe I'm off base but at this point I'd put Watson on the PP when he comes back and see if he can become the new Hornqvist.

Hes big, should be able to set screens, and as he himself once got caught saying on the ice "I used to be good"

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
Maybe I'm off base but at this point I'd put Watson on the PP when he comes back and see if he can become the new Hornqvist.

Hes big, should be able to set screens, and as he himself once got caught saying on the ice "I used to be good"

I wouldn't mind that one bit. Sissons gets so much time on the PP as a netfront guy but never does anything.

INDhockeyfan

Apr 6, 2012
We have an enormous amount of right-handed forwards on our team. That is very unusual. Like 303 said that really screws us on the PP with how we are playing it. Fiala, Bonino, Rinaldo and Salomaki are the only left-handed forwards we've got. PP just needs a total overall.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Ellis is likey a better goal scorer than both Johansen and Turris.
Turris is probably the best shootout guy on the team, between here and Ottawa he has like a 38% conversion rate and that went up last night. In comparison I believe Forsberg was 25% if I'm remembering the stats right from the game.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I said last year that I thought he deserved more of a chance and we gave up on him too early. He was never going to be great or anything but he could've been a useful depth piece that provided some offense.
That may be true but he was never going to consistently get chances he has elsewhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Monaco vs Clermont Foot