Observations XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Looked like a somewhat typical play where two players are locked up and Joey was turning to get back in the play. He definitely came down with a lot more force than usual, but you typically see that when a guy is trying to come down on the opponents stick (likely would have been a slashing call). Unfortunately Johansen for whatever reason got Scheifele right on the helmet.

Outside of a select handful of plays in NHL history, nobody intentionally puts a two handed chop into an opponents head. And I don't see anything to suggest that Johansen did so intentionally. DoPS must feel the same way to only give him a phone hearing and two games. If they felt like it was intentional, the penalty would have been much more severe.

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
**** the Jets
**** their fans
**** Scheifele
**** Big Buff

But most of all, **** this sorry ass Preds team for playing like dog **** at home against our current biggest rival.
All. Of. This.

They talked a big game after the Carolina debacle, saying they weren't happy with their play. So they came out on fire against Washington and beat the hell out of them. Then the next game they are right back to lackluster performances. It's not like they were playing Arizona or Florida, it was their division rival. A playoff rival. At home. And they come out that flat, with no emotion in their own packed building? I don't get it.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee

Colin Blackwell was the leading scorer on a terrible team for Rochester last season. He has been out for 17 games with an injury. He came back and scored 3 of the last 4 Admirals goals in his 2 recent games, giving him 7 in 14 games played. He had been out for about 10 games early in the season. He is a shooter with zero assists this season. I guess you would call him a sniper!

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Colin Blackwell was the leading scorer on a terrible team for Rochester last season. He has been out for 17 games with an injury. He came back and scored 3 of the last 4 Admirals goals in his 2 recent games, giving him 7 in 14 games played. He had been out for about 10 games early in the season. He is a shooter with zero assists this season. I guess you would call him a sniper!
Eric Nystrom lol. He finished his last year here with 7 goals and 0 assists, bringing his 3-year total with us to 29 goals and 11 assists

Reactions: SouthNash

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Eric Nystrom lol. He finished his last year here with 7 goals and 0 assists, bringing his 3-year total with us to 29 goals and 11 assists

Last season Blackwell had 17 G and 28 A in 61 games. You have to wonder why Buffalo didn't want to keep a guy like that, especially in Rochester. He is only 25 until late March.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
Yep. Still angry this morning.

Something has to get shaken up between now and the trade deadline. Fire McCarthy. Make a trade. Something.

I'm actually worried we have reached the end of the Lavy inspirational years like we've heard from Canes and Flyers fans. I don't think so, but I'm starting to get worried.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I guess it'll depend on the magnitude of the disappointment when the final results are in at the end of the season. The observation that we've already lost as many games as all last year is obviously a red flag. The injury excuse only carries things so far, but things have gone past that now.

But there's still time to finish strong and/or have another underdog run in the playoffs. Lavy can survive with things like that. Obviously a playoff miss would be a death knell. But I think the way this team is supposed to be built, even a poor playoff showing ought to be cause for considering a change.

Poile gave them this year as a shot at redemption for coming up short last year. Changes will come in some form (or forms) if this year goes down the tubes. Coach won't and shouldn't be exempt from that.

But again... there's still time. Dwindling, worry-filled time maybe... but better slumping like this now than in April, if we want to be optimistic about it.

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
I'm never a fan of making reactionary trades. That's just a bad idea. However, somebody needs to be held accountable for the powerplay. I still believe in this day in age blaming coaching for PP ineffectiveness is bullshit. There are no secrets and everybody is using similar strategies. It's on the players to execute. That being said it's the unfortunate reality that when things go bad the buck stops at the coach's feet. Somebody needs to be held accountable. There is no excuse for the PP to be this bad.

While reactionary trades are a terrible idea I could see Fiala being moved in a package for a non-rental player. He really has struggled all year. The things that really concern me are he keeps making the same mistakes over and over and , to me, he looks like he is pouting out there. He doesn't look engaged and I can't help but worry about his mental toughness.

In the end, the players we have will be who we live or die with. No amount of trades or firings are going to make a substantial difference.

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
I guess it'll depend on the magnitude of the disappointment when the final results are in at the end of the season. The observation that we've already lost as many games as all last year is obviously a red flag. The injury excuse only carries things so far, but things have gone past that now.

But there's still time to finish strong and/or have another underdog run in the playoffs. Lavy can survive with things like that. Obviously a playoff miss would be a death knell. But I think the way this team is supposed to be built, even a poor playoff showing ought to be cause for considering a change.

Poile gave them this year as a shot at redemption for coming up short last year. Changes will come in some form (or forms) if this year goes down the tubes. Coach won't and shouldn't be exempt from that.

But again... there's still time. Dwindling, worry-filled time maybe... but better slumping like this now than in April, if we want to be optimistic about it.

I'm with you. It doesn't really matter where we finish in the standings as long as we make the playoffs. If the team gets some positive momentum going come mid-April they can make it through the West.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Yep. Still angry this morning.

Something has to get shaken up between now and the trade deadline. Fire McCarthy. Make a trade. Something.

I'm actually worried we have reached the end of the Lavy inspirational years like we've heard from Canes and Flyers fans. I don't think so, but I'm starting to get worried.

I couldn't help but think this as well. Everyone warned us that Lavy has a shelf life and when it's up, its up.

I just wonder if that shelf life has something to do with his unending faith in McCarthy

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
The only thing that worries me about this team is the PP. It has been bad all season so really has nothing to do with the injuries.

I know the team has another gear and I also understand as a human that it's hard to just go all the time when the reality is you know that even as an 8 seed you can win a Cup. Fans don't want to hear it but it's true. No different than how I can guarantee you I'm not able to give the same level of care at my job every single day. But I excel in crunch time.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
I’m at this mindset about the Preds; they are playing rope-a-dope. They won the President’s trophy, they have banners, now it’s all about the big silver candy dish. No more distractions of banners in the rafters, just get the Cup. Sports can stir the emotions, I’m just as guilty of that as anyone else. You listen to the story hungry media and they aim for group speak and emotion triggering.
Let’s do what I call a 4 score; a league comparison of GF/G, GA/G, PP%, PK%
GF/G has the Preds at 11th, not tragic but not great and sexy.
GA/G has the Preds at 4th, honestly, not high enough for Nashville’s style.
PP% has the Preds at 29th, Oy
PK% has the Preds at 19th, Not great
When it comes to situational hockey, I trust the Preds. In the past few weeks, the Preds had a tough schedule and played well versus most of the hard teams. They beat the Cup winners 7-2, they chewed up the Avs who could be the first round opponent 4-2, while the team was icing Sissons has the #1 C. The Preds are showing up when it matters. In basketball, the Spurs are notorious for resting starters in the regular season. We don’t want the Preds to win every game in the regular season to sputter in the playoffs. They made the Cup final and the last western team to make the playoffs. I’ll take that season every single time. Just punch a ticket to the playoffs, keep everyone rested, show up for the playoffs.
I’d be interested in some “injuries” for players who have played every game so far; Josi (I swear he missed a couple of games), Hartman, Ellis, Smith, Fiala. Let’s not win the regular season. Stay in the playoff picture but don’t keep the pedal to the metal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad