Observations XX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Because he has the highest cap hit on the defense and it's assumed that we'd need to clear cap space to fit in a stud 1C.
What centers better than Johansen are remotely available and how many of their teams are going to want a 29-year old $9M per year d-man as the primary return (versus, say, Tolvanen, Fabbro and our next two 1sts)?

I don't think PK is tradeable in the way a lot of folks are throwing his name around. Or, at least, the best he's going to return is a complementary scoring winger like Nylander rather than an elite center or winger.

Reactions: predfan24 and Tex76

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
I think this is right

10/11/2018
Player#PosShHtWt age @ dateBorn
D.Hamhuis5LDL6' 1"204 3512/13/1982
M.Irwin52DL6' 1"207 3011/29/1987
Y.Weber7RDR5' 11"200 309/23/1988
P.K.Subban76RDR6' 0"210 295/13/1989
M.Ekholm14LDL6' 4"215 285/24/1990
R.Josi59LDL6' 1"201 286/1/1990
A.Bitetto2DL6' 1"210 287/15/1990
R.Ellis4RDR5' 10"180 271/3/1991
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
What centers better than Johansen are remotely available and how many of their teams are going to want a 29-year old $9M per year d-man as the primary return (versus, say, Tolvanen, Fabbro and our next two 1sts)?

I don't think PK is tradeable in the way a lot of folks are throwing his name around. Or, at least, the best he's going to return is a complementary scoring winger like Nylander rather than an elite center or winger.

I don't think there's a "stud" 1C available for trade. I'm just saying that if we're discussing a theoretical trade for a 1C, that's the only reason I'd be interested in including Subban - because we'd need the cap space.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com

Did you feel the same about Hamilton?

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Did you feel the same about Hamilton?
Nope. Younger player, cheaper contract, lower quality of return (not that Lindholm and Hanifin are anything to scoff at).

Does trading Subban for a middle-6 center and a top 4 defenseman make us a better team? I don't know how loaded a question that is considering how you feel about Subban.

Reactions: predfan24

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
My problems with PK fans is anytime you say he was bad they come unglued

As a Habs fan I can attest that this is not unique to Nashville, it was the case in Montreal too. In fact it is still the case and he has been gone over 2 years.

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006

Interesting.

Sounds like pure speculation. I took a look at the Leafs cap situation and just doing head math I can't see how they can afford to keep Nylander, Marner and Matthews. Even if they let Hainsey go and LTIR Horton it doesn't look feasible if Nylander is truly looking for 7+.

Nylander is a talented young player. I like him. I don't like him at 7+ on a long term deal. That's too risky. He hasn't earned that IMO.

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
Sounds like pure speculation. I took a look at the Leafs cap situation and just doing head math I can't see how they can afford to keep Nylander, Marner and Matthews. Even if they let Hainsey go and LTIR Horton it doesn't look feasible if Nylander is truly looking for 7+.

Nylander is a talented young player. I like him. I don't like him at 7+ on a long term deal. That's too risky. He hasn't earned that IMO.

Yup. And you know Leafs would want one of our defensemen for him.

Lets say they want Ekholm since he's the cheapest of the 4 and Nylander signs for 7.5 for 8 years. That leaves us with 4.2 million (11.2 if you add Rinne's 7 million) in cap space with Fiala, Sissons and Hartman as RFA's and Rinne as UFA after this season. Not a good spot to be in.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA

With you on that. I don't think he should make that much more than Forsberg, among other considerations.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Fancy stats say Subban is the best dman last years on the Preds. Josi is the worst. Eye test says Josi is the best and Subban is the worst.

But this is Nashville where we have been spoiled with d-men.

Montross

Askarov.
Oct 4, 2013
Fancy stats say Subban is the best dman last years on the Preds. Josi is the worst. Eye test says Josi is the best and Subban is the worst.

But this is Nashville where we have been spoiled with d-men.
Josi was no way better than Subban last year. Ridiculous hater statement.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
I have been watching hockey a long time- and I don't think I have ever seen one team get 8 straight power play chances in one game. Anyone else?? It is usually rare to see a team get 3 in a row, much less 8.

We won a game by 3 goals despite going 0 for 9 on power play- crazy stuff.....

Reactions: NoNecksCurse

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Tells that we have no offensive weapons tbh.
What we do have though is defensive weapons.

I would hate to bring Nylander in if it costs us one of our top 4.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
Dare I say that Rinaldo was pretty useful tonight? Really got under the Jets skin.

I mean he was until he was on the ice for the melee and let Ekholm get his skull punched in. Rinaldo should've been the one answering the bell out there and not Ekholm or Sissons. What's the point of having a goon if he don't goon?

I really did think our bottom 6 looked more deadly 5v5 than our top 6 guys. I don't know if that was due to the fact we had a whole period of PP time and they were tired or what.

Thought Ellis was our best D man last night. But Pekka was our best player.

If they Jets settled down and decided to play hockey, they would've won that game. No doubt in my mind. Instead, they decided to Anaheim it up. Sat in front of a pair of Jets fans who made the same observation.

Our PP lines need to be completely blown up and put back together. Going 0-16 to start the season is unacceptable with as much offensive punch as this team has when we ice our best players.

The second line was essentially invisible again. Not good.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
well we won. what an unusual feel to this game.

The Gold colored lenses way to look at last night is that if the PP had been even mediocre we would have won 5-0 or more...

But all those epic fails made what should have been a very satisfying win seem very unsatisfying

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad