Observations, Part X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
So, the Diabetes Hat Trick (aka the Wilford Brimley) is Donut, Goo Goo, Frosty...but not the winner coffee. I figured most people drink sugary coffee (not me! but I'm definitely in the minority) so it counted. In any event, great night.

So...show of hands...how many others will watch NHL Network for highlights of the game if we win (even when it takes forEVER) but shun the entire station if we lose? My hand is up.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
So, the Diabetes Hat Trick (aka the Wilford Brimley) is Donut, Goo Goo, Frosty...but not the winner coffee. I figured most people drink sugary coffee (not me! but I'm definitely in the minority) so it counted. In any event, great night.

So...show of hands...how many others will watch NHL Network for highlights of the game if we win (even when it takes forEVER) but shun the entire station if we lose? My hand is up.

That is me exactly. When we win, I watch all the highlights, not just of our game, but all the games, read the box scores, study the standings, etc, etc, etc.

But when we lose it just ruins everything as far as being an NHL fan goes. I don't feel like doing any of it when we lose.

I wish I didn't care so much- lol

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011
Forsberg's line was moved from the second line to the three. That seemed to help that line score. Think we should keep that for future games.

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
that last power play goal against.....it was goalie interference. But since (for the most part officials wait for the coaches to challenge it) we used out timeout earlier, we were not able to.

Just wanted to point out it wasn't an error on the staff. They just didn't have the means to challenge it.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Posted this in the game thread but it's probably a better fit here and I'm also going to add a bit to it.

I'm sure once I make this observation it will probably become the complete opposite of what I say but has anybody else noticed that when Rinne is challenged with shots early in the game he plays better?

Kind of like a baseball player getting a couple of ground balls his way early and then settling down for the rest of the game. Rinne gets peppered with shots early on (the Sharks had what, 8 shots in the first 5 minutes tonight?) and he typically plays the strong game. He struggles when we outshoot a team like 10-2 in the first 10-15 minutes and then he'll let in a goal on say the third or fourth shot and then it all goes downhill from there.

You warm up and you're ready to go and then you get pretty much no action for 10-15 minutes. I'm not going to say you get rusty or anything but you probably get bored and you're probably not as into the game and then when you're just forced into the first action after 10-15 minutes of game time and 20-25 minutes of real time and there's no action and it just seems tough.

The same thing kind of happened with Jones last night. Shots were what, 8-1? Then the Preds score, granted it was an amazing play by Johansen and Neal but they scored and everything just kind of went downhill from there.

It's probably not a big deal if the team scores a goal or two when the team outshoots the other team like that but the goalie is probably thinking on that first rush in "we've been dominating, I can't let anything in after how much we've been dominating." Maybe just thinking too much instead of just playing.

That's my theory anyways.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
The Ellis fight was odd. I didn't see the hit that apparently set Ellis off (read about it in the Sharks GDT), but if that is what happened I would rather our #3/#4 defender not take on some scrub just because his feelings got hurt, and then lose to boot. Not a good showing. I felt like Ellis had a rather poor game all around, actually

third, don't pay any attention to shark fans on their GDT, what Ellis was mad about wasn't really a clean hit but that he got his arms and elbows up high around Ellis's head.

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville
The Ellis fight was odd. I didn't see the hit that apparently set Ellis off (read about it in the Sharks GDT), but if that is what happened I would rather our #3/#4 defender not take on some scrub just because his feelings got hurt, and then lose to boot. Not a good showing. I felt like Ellis had a rather poor game all around, actually, but I was dead tired so my keeping up with the game was not up to snuff.

Wingels took a cheap-shot at Ellis's head after he checked him in front of the Sharks bench. Later, Wingels took a cheap shot at Arvy down toward the corner on the shoot-twice end. He didn't even bump anyone else on the ice last night.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I guess time will ultimately tell, but the great thing about Johansen (in addition to how great of a players he is) is that he genuinely seems to be very happy to be here. Which is a very good thing for the organization. Need to lock him up long term as soon as possible.

Exactly, and that's what makes the deal that much sweeter. I just hope we sign this guy for like 8 years and build our forward core around him. Just an amazing player, every shift he plays we can expect something great.

predfan98

Aug 5, 2007

Hand goes up, lol. Thought I was the only one

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN

I don't drink coffee either. It's gross. The only way I'll drink it is if there is so much flavored junk in it that I can't taste the coffee.

My hands are up, too. Win, I watch the highlights, read recaps, etc.

Lose and I avoid everything.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
For the record I drink coffee...I just don't sweeten it or put flavoring with it. Whole milk, that's all.

Nice to know I'm not the only one who bases NHL viewership on our fortunes!

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
Observation. We've never had a talent like Johansen. Ever. It's sad but true. Every game I'm excited to see what he's going to bring to the table. Given his age, position, skill and all the intangibles, he's the best forward we've ever had. We've had guys on the tail end of their careers but nothing like Joey. That is all.

Paul Kariya says hello... if he can remember who exactly you are.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
What a game! I was sad that I wasn't able to go to it, but after putting in 27 hours into work over a two day period I was burnt out and wanted to watch the game at home.

Very impressed by Rinne. He played a great game. More often than not, goalies getting fed early leads to better games. My brother would stand by this theory.

Very proud of our guys for weathering the storm early and roaring back. Was a great team effort from top to bottom.

Lastly, I know everyone has a Jarnkrok love fest right now, but this guy is not remotely close to a top 6 forward. He is the definition of a tweener. Yes, I know he has points in his last two games, but I attribute that more to his linemates than I do to him. I mean, his slow release almost didn't go in this last game. If he had a bit more physical talent, this guy could be a great player. I just don't see it. Upgrading him with a guy like Boedker or Eriksson would be a great improvement.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Paul Kariya says hello... if he can remember who exactly you are.
I didn't do a very good job of emphasizing the fact that I feel that way because of his age and he should be with us for a long time, not just someone who was towards the end of their career and just passing on through temporarily.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
right now, Johansen is as good as Kariya was in his first year with us. Not better, but as good. Plus with his size and strength and the fact he's a centerman he adds more intangibles than Kariya did.

PREDilection

Little Doodle
Nov 10, 2014
that last power play goal against.....it was goalie interference. But since (for the most part officials wait for the coaches to challenge it) we used out timeout earlier, we were not able to.

Just wanted to point out it wasn't an error on the staff. They just didn't have the means to challenge it.

I wanted to follow up on this as it was something I have been thinking about since the start of the season and the new challenge rules. I was concerned that the new challenge rules might hinder a coach like Lavy. Last year he showed he had a knack for calling timely timeouts. He would call a timeout during a rapidly downward spiral of play and more often than not, through either just a break in play or what was said on the bench, this would turn the team around or at least stem the bad play. Not every coach has a knack for this (I think of Trotz who always seemed to wait to call a timeout well after things had gotten past the point of no return). Now, of course, the importance and role of timeouts can be easily overstated but they can play a role.

Last night was the first time all year (correct me if I'm wrong) that Lavy has called a timeout prior to the last minute or so. He's been saving them in the off chance he needs to challenge a goal but this is to the detriment of the team as there have been multiple games where I feel like he would have called a timeout if he didn't feel he had to save it in case he needed to challenge. It's a shame because I feel like the odds of a goal coming from a possible offsides or goalie interference are fairly low (you stat guys can correct or confirm me here). Of course, the first time Lavy calls an early timeout we do, in fact, have one of those goals (n = 1). I still feel like we'd be better served taking a key timeout over gambling at low odds that a challenge is on the horizon. I would like to hope that Saturday's game wouldn't make Lavy more gun shy but he seems now to be anyways. I feel like the only reason he called it somewhat early (middle of the 3rd) was because we had a comfortable lead (4-1 I think at that point). I don't see him doing it any earlier or if the game was closer.

As I side note, I'm sure all of you caught the gaff (added to the increasing list) of our stellar announcing crew of not realizing we had used our timeout and couldn't challenge the goal. Willie only realized after the fact and Stu was completely clueless.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
i think these are all valid points you make PRED. of course, basically the only time a guy has ever used a timeout is after your team gives up 2-3 quick goals or for resting after an icing in a key part of the game.

I actually thought lavy sort of misused and wasted that timeout with us up 4-1 and nothing really pressing happening. which in turn sure enough might have bit us on the PP goal challenge (you never know if they reverse that one, but I've seen less called)

PREDilection

Little Doodle
Nov 10, 2014
i think these are all valid points you make PRED. of course, basically the only time a guy has ever used a timeout is after your team gives up 2-3 quick goals or for resting after an icing in a key part of the game.

That was certainly the case with Trotz. By the time he called a timeout things were already well out of hand and the goals had been scored. I don't have the memory to recall specific instances but I feel like last year Lavy called quite a few timeouts right before the tipping point when the game would get out of hand and multiple goals were scored. Sometimes he would do if after the other team had scored and was pressing again and you could feel they were on the verge of getting another. In general though, their actual role in changing the momentum of the game is probably fairly minimal.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
the new no change after an icing rule was the first knife in the back of coaches using timeouts as a momentum changer in general. the challenge is the death nell of that.

but I agree with your point.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
As I side note, I'm sure all of you caught the gaff (added to the increasing list) of our stellar announcing crew of not realizing we had used our timeout and couldn't challenge the goal. Willie only realized after the fact and Stu was completely clueless.

I was at the game and I didn't know we used the timeout. Not sure if they didn't announce it or what the deal was. So afterwards when I was reading on twitter and everything that he couldn't use his challenge because he used his timeout, I thought "What timeout"?

On a sidenote, what goalie interference on that second goal is everyone talking about? I have watched the replay of that goal several times and have not seen any contact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad