Obscure hockey facts/stats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
The NJ Devils' record for PP points in a season by a defender isn't held by Scott Niedermayer, or Scott Stevens, or Brian Rafalski, or even Bruce Driver.

It dates back to their woeful 48-point inaugural season in 1982-83 when a Finnish defender named Tapio Levo somehow racked up 36 points playing the point on their PP - the same number Paul Coffey put up on the Edmonton PP next to Wayne Gretzky that year.

The 36th PP point came in NJ's last game of the season, and Levo never played another NHL game again after that.

Had to check his eliteprospects profile. They list all the awards(*), and this is something that belongs to this thread:
(*) of course there never was a real award like that, eliteprospects just like to list all kinds of stuff under awards. But if I'm correct, there was only one shorthanded goal scored the year before in the entire SM-liiga, as the award lists a lone winner with one goal

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
The first edition of THN was released on Oct 1, 1947.

Some of the articles included :

- 'Close but no cigar' - Cuban arena official wants to host NHL exhibition game in Havana

- 'Veteran aims at record' - Toe Blake suits up for one last year to break points record, injury will stop him short

- 'Hershey's monument' - American League champs build 7200-seat rink for town of 4,000

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Had to check his eliteprospects profile. They list all the awards(*), and this is something that belongs to this thread:
(*) of course there never was a real award like that, eliteprospects just like to list all kinds of stuff under awards. But if I'm correct, there was only one shorthanded goal scored the year before in the entire SM-liiga, as the award lists a lone winner with one goal

How is Levo viewed in Finland? I see he was named the top defender in the Liiga with some huge numbers twice just after returning from the NHL.

I’m still floored that a defender could score 36 PP points on a team where no forward cleared 55 points in total. That is insane. I’d bet that, in terms of PP points by a defender relative to the points of a team’s leading scorer, the next closest case is barely half the ratio.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
On May 5th, 2007, the New Jersey Devils lost their last game ever played at Continental Airlines Arena, to the Ottawa Senators.

On October 27th, 2007, the New Jersey Devils lost their first game ever played at the Prudential Center, to the Ottawa Senators.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Other pieces of trivia, not all which is directly related but...

EDMONTON: Wayne Gretzky and the Oilers rarely won in Philadelphia, too. In the regular season, the Flyers were 12-2-0 at home and 5-8-2 in Edmonton for an overall record of 17-10-2 (.586) from 1979-80 through 1987-88.

In their three post-season series during the 1980s (1980, 1985 and 1987), the Flyers went 5-2 at home and 2-6 in Edmonton for a 7-8 record; however, that most importantly includes Edmonton winning one game in each of the 1985 and 1987 Finals at Philadelphia. Including the playoffs, the Flyers were 17-4-0 against the Oilers from 1979-80 through 1987-88 in Philadelphia.

The disparities between regular season and playoffs are highlighted here, too:

BOSTON: The Flyers entered the 1974 Finals with a 4-30-4 all-time record against the Bruins albeit with a 1-game winning streak which snapped a 27-game (0-23-4) skid. They were 1-16-2 in Boston entering that series and on an 18-game winless streak (0-16-2) -- the Flyers won the first time the teams met. They won as many games against Boston in the two weeks of the 1974 Finals as they did in the first seven or so years.

CHICAGO: Flyers have not lost at home to Chicago since 1996, 16 wins in a row but of course lost in the 2010 Finals.

DETROIT: Flyers are 16-0-1 at home since the 1997 Finals.

In a similar vein...

I was watching a playoff game from 1981 last week, Edmonton-Montreal.

The commentators provided an update on the out of town scoreboard, mentioning that Minnesota had just won in Boston....for the first time ever! Assuming they were correct, that's got to have been at least 25-30 games before the North Stars franchise got their first win at the Garden.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
In a similar vein...

I was watching a playoff game from 1981 last week, Edmonton-Montreal.

The commentators provided an update on the out of town scoreboard, mentioning that Minnesota had just won in Boston....for the first time ever! Assuming they were correct, that's got to have been at least 25-30 games before the North Stars franchise got their first win at the Garden.

Yup. There is an anecdote associated with the game. North Stars' head coach Glen Sonmor was told by a psychic to wear an eye patch because of a vision for a victory. He had the mentality of "ll try anything" and it succeeded.

I recall the number -- 35 though I am not sure of losses and ties. Only because that was the number when the North Stars ended the Flyers' streak the prior year. 35.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Yup. There is an anecdote associated with the game. North Stars' head coach Glen Sonmor was told by a psychic to wear an eye patch because of a vision for a victory. He had the mentality of "ll try anything" and it succeeded.

I recall the number -- 35 though I am not sure of losses and ties. Only because that was the number when the North Stars ended the Flyers' streak the prior year. 35.

Quite the story,

Tuesday, April 11, 2017

The NHL Record for Most Shorthanded Goals in a Game - 1980-81 Minnesota North Stars Steve Payne Jersey

The Minnesota North Stars were founded in 1967. Fourteen years later, they still had never won a game in the Boston Garden and were 0-27-7 at The Garden going into their game on February 26, 1981. The North Stars were routinely intimidated by the Big, Bad Bruins, who featured a lineup with noted tough guys Terry O'Reilly (223 penalty minutes that season), Mike Milbury (222), Stan Jonathan (192), Keith Crowder (172), Brad McCrimmon (148) and Brad Park (111).

The 1980-81 Boston Bruins

By this point in the season, the North Stars knew that they were going to be facing the Bruins in the playoffs and Head Coach Glen Sonmor decided that the "Curse of the Bruins" was going to come to an end that night. Sonmor wanted to instill a new attitude of toughness into his team and to no longer back down from any challenge, especially that of intimidation by the Bruins.

The North Stars fiery Head Coach Glen Sonmor

Sonmor's instructions to his squad was simple and direct. "Not the second time, or the third time or even the fourth time, but on the first time that any Bruin tried to intimidate one of them. that they were to drop the gloves. I told them that we were going to wear that night and that we were going to keep going to war until the game was over. Period."

The North Stars took the message to heart, and right off the opening faceoff, the Bruins Steve Kasper cracked the North Stars star player, Bobby Smith, right under the chin with his stick. Smith immediately dropped the gloves and fought Kasper. Afterwards, there was one fight after another. In the first period alone, there were 340 penalty minutes called and 12 players ejected from the game!

Here are the penalties from the boxscore from just the first period alone:
Penalties - BOS - Crowder 0:07 ; BOS - Crowder ( (maj)) 0:07 ; BOS - Crowder (Misconduct (10 min)) 0:07 ; BOS - Kasper 0:07 ; BOS - Kasper ( (maj)) 0:07 ; MINS - Payne 0:07 ; MINS - Payne 0:07 ; MINS - Payne ( (maj)) 0:07 ; MINS - Payne (Misconduct (10 min)) 0:07 ; MINS - Payne (Misconduct (10 min)) 0:07 ; MINS - Smith B 0:07 ; MINS - Smith B ( (maj)) 0:07 ; BOS - Milbury 2:53 ; MINS - Christoff 2:53 ; BOS - O'Reilly 3:35 ; BOS - O'Reilly ( (maj)) 3:35 ; MINS - Carlson ( (maj)) 3:35 ; BOS - Mccrimmon 4:28 ; MINS - Hartsburg 5:42 ; MINS - Smith G 6:02 ; BOS - Bench 8:06 ; BOS - Gillis ( (maj)) 8:06 ; BOS - Gillis (Misconduct (10 min)) 8:06 ; BOS - Milbury ( (maj)) 8:06 ; MINS - Bench 8:06 ; MINS - Hartsburg ( (maj)) 8:06 ; MINS - Hartsburg (Misconduct (10 min)) 8:06 ; MINS - Younghans ( (maj)) 8:06 ; BOS - Bourque 8:58 ; BOS - Bourque ( (maj)) 8:58 ; BOS - Crowder 8:58 ; BOS - Crowder 8:58 ; BOS - Crowder 8:58 ; BOS - Crowder (Game Misconduct) 8:58 ; BOS - Mccrimmon ( (maj)) 8:58 ; BOS - Mccrimmon ( (maj)) 8:58 ; BOS - Mccrimmon (Misconduct (10 min)) 8:58 ; BOS - Mccrimmon (Game Misconduct) 8:58 ; BOS - Mcnab 8:58 ; BOS - Mcnab (Game Misconduct) 8:58 ; BOS - Milbury 8:58 ; BOS - Milbury (Game Misconduct) 8:58 ; BOS - O'Reilly 8:58 ; BOS - O'Reilly (Game Misconduct) 8:58 ; BOS - Vachon 8:58 ; MINS - Bench 8:58 ; MINS - Carlson 8:58 ; MINS - Carlson (Game Misconduct) 8:58 ; MINS - Hartsburg (Game Misconduct) 8:58 ; MINS - Macadam 8:58 ; MINS - Macadam ( (maj)) 8:58 ; MINS - Macadam (Misconduct (10 min)) 8:58 ; MINS - Macadam (Game Misconduct) 8:58 ; MINS - Meloche 8:58 ; MINS - Payne (Game Misconduct) 8:58 ; MINS - Roberts ( (maj)) 8:58 ; MINS - Roberts (Game Misconduct) 8:58 ; MINS - Smith G ( (maj)) 8:58 ; MINS - Smith G (Game Misconduct) 8:58 ; MINS - Younghans 8:58 ; MINS - Younghans (Game Misconduct) 8:58 ; MINS - Maxwell B 12:44 ; MINS - Zanussi 14:02 ; BOS - Kasper 17:36​
At one point, players were being sent off to the dressing rooms using the aisle that ran between the benches and a spark of anger set off a melee off the ice that involved the police trying to separate the combatants!

The fighting spilled off the ice and between the benches

By the end of the game, 42 penalties had been called for a NHL record 406 penalty minutes with six more major penalties in the second period plus four more in the third.

After the game, Bruins Head Coach Gerry Cheevers got into a shouting match with Sonmor, who was so fired up he tried to get at Cheevers. With his players holding him back, Sonmor even tried to take a few swings at his Bruins counterpart.

Sonmor being restrained

The Bruins had won the game 5-1, but the North Stars management could not have cared less. The message had been sent - the North Stars were not going to be intimidated any more.

After the game, reporters came to Sonmor with disparaging quotes from Cheevers, to which the feisty Sonmor replied, "OK, I have a message that you can take back to Gerry. Tell him to meet me between the dressing rooms the next time we play each other and we'll settle this like men. We'll see who's got character then." Adding "Oh, by the way, tell him to bring a basket to carry his f---ing head home in!"

The league president called Sonmor into his office afterwards and asked him if he had incited the North Stars that night. He replied with honesty, "We needed to make a stand." and I wasn't going to apologize for that. Sonmor was fined but the North Stars General Manager Lou Nanne gladly paid the fine for his head coach, knowing what Sonmor was up to and was behind him 100%.

Sure enough, the North Stars were paired up in the opening round of the 1981 Stanley Cup Playoffs. Just before Sonmor was to leave for the airport for Boston, he opened a letter from a local woman who said that she was a psychic. She had a vision of Sonmor standing behind the bench in the Boston Garden wearing an eye patch and beating the "Curse of the Garden". Sonmor thought her name, Amy Puckett, sounded enough like a hockey "puck" and considered it a good omen. Sonmor, you see, had his budding hockey career cut short by an eye injury which left him with a glass eye in place of the one he lost to a slapshot.

Sure enough, Sonmor figured he could use all the good Karma he could get at that point and retrieved his eye patch for the trip to Boston. "I put that patch on right before we hit the ice and I remember screaming out just like a general leading his troops into battle: "Boys, the curse ends tonight!"

Last edited by a moderator:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Quite the story,

Tuesday, April 11, 2017

The NHL Record for Most Shorthanded Goals in a Game - 1980-81 Minnesota North Stars Steve Payne Jersey

The Minnesota North Stars were founded in 1967. Fourteen years later, they still had never won a game in the Boston Garden and were 0-27-7 at The Garden going into their game on February 26, 1981. The North Stars were routinely intimidated by the Big, Bad Bruins, who featured a lineup with noted tough guys Terry O'Reilly (223 penalty minutes that season), Mike Milbury (222), Stan Jonathan (192), Keith Crowder (172), Brad McCrimmon (148) and Brad Park (111).

The 1980-81 Boston Bruins

By this point in the season, the North Stars knew that they were going to be facing the Bruins in the playoffs and Head Coach Glen Sonmor decided that the "Curse of the Bruins" was going to come to an end that night. Sonmor wanted to instill a new attitude of toughness into his team and to no longer back down from any challenge, especially that of intimidation by the Bruins.

The North Stars fiery Head Coach Glen Sonmor

Sonmor's instructions to his squad was simple and direct. "Not the second time, or the third time or even the fourth time, but on the first time that any Bruin tried to intimidate one of them. that they were to drop the gloves. I told them that we were going to wear that night and that we were going to keep going to war until the game was over. Period."

The North Stars took the message to heart, and right off the opening faceoff, the Bruins Steve Kasper cracked the North Stars star player, Bobby Smith, right under the chin with his stick. Smith immediately dropped the gloves and fought Kasper. Afterwards, there was one fight after another. In the first period alone, there were 340 penalty minutes called and 12 players ejected from the game!

Here are the penalties from the boxscore from just the first period alone:
Penalties - BOS - Crowder 0:07 ; BOS - Crowder ( (maj)) 0:07 ; BOS - Crowder (Misconduct (10 min)) 0:07 ; BOS - Kasper 0:07 ; BOS - Kasper ( (maj)) 0:07 ; MINS - Payne 0:07 ; MINS - Payne 0:07 ; MINS - Payne ( (maj)) 0:07 ; MINS - Payne (Misconduct (10 min)) 0:07 ; MINS - Payne (Misconduct (10 min)) 0:07 ; MINS - Smith B 0:07 ; MINS - Smith B ( (maj)) 0:07 ; BOS - Milbury 2:53 ; MINS - Christoff 2:53 ; BOS - O'Reilly 3:35 ; BOS - O'Reilly ( (maj)) 3:35 ; MINS - Carlson ( (maj)) 3:35 ; BOS - Mccrimmon 4:28 ; MINS - Hartsburg 5:42 ; MINS - Smith G 6:02 ; BOS - Bench 8:06 ; BOS - Gillis ( (maj)) 8:06 ; BOS - Gillis (Misconduct (10 min)) 8:06 ; BOS - Milbury ( (maj)) 8:06 ; MINS - Bench 8:06 ; MINS - Hartsburg ( (maj)) 8:06 ; MINS - Hartsburg (Misconduct (10 min)) 8:06 ; MINS - Younghans ( (maj)) 8:06 ; BOS - Bourque 8:58 ; BOS - Bourque ( (maj)) 8:58 ; BOS - Crowder 8:58 ; BOS - Crowder 8:58 ; BOS - Crowder 8:58 ; BOS - Crowder (Game Misconduct) 8:58 ; BOS - Mccrimmon ( (maj)) 8:58 ; BOS - Mccrimmon ( (maj)) 8:58 ; BOS - Mccrimmon (Misconduct (10 min)) 8:58 ; BOS - Mccrimmon (Game Misconduct) 8:58 ; BOS - Mcnab 8:58 ; BOS - Mcnab (Game Misconduct) 8:58 ; BOS - Milbury 8:58 ; BOS - Milbury (Game Misconduct) 8:58 ; BOS - O'Reilly 8:58 ; BOS - O'Reilly (Game Misconduct) 8:58 ; BOS - Vachon 8:58 ; MINS - Bench 8:58 ; MINS - Carlson 8:58 ; MINS - Carlson (Game Misconduct) 8:58 ; MINS - Hartsburg (Game Misconduct) 8:58 ; MINS - Macadam 8:58 ; MINS - Macadam ( (maj)) 8:58 ; MINS - Macadam (Misconduct (10 min)) 8:58 ; MINS - Macadam (Game Misconduct) 8:58 ; MINS - Meloche 8:58 ; MINS - Payne (Game Misconduct) 8:58 ; MINS - Roberts ( (maj)) 8:58 ; MINS - Roberts (Game Misconduct) 8:58 ; MINS - Smith G ( (maj)) 8:58 ; MINS - Smith G (Game Misconduct) 8:58 ; MINS - Younghans 8:58 ; MINS - Younghans (Game Misconduct) 8:58 ; MINS - Maxwell B 12:44 ; MINS - Zanussi 14:02 ; BOS - Kasper 17:36​
At one point, players were being sent off to the dressing rooms using the aisle that ran between the benches and a spark of anger set off a melee off the ice that involved the police trying to separate the combatants!

The fighting spilled off the ice and between the benches

By the end of the game, 42 penalties had been called for a NHL record 406 penalty minutes with six more major penalties in the second period plus four more in the third.

After the game, Bruins Head Coach Gerry Cheevers got into a shouting match with Sonmor, who was so fired up he tried to get at Cheevers. With his players holding him back, Sonmor even tried to take a few swings at his Bruins counterpart.

Sonmor being restrained

The Bruins had won the game 5-1, but the North Stars management could not have cared less. The message had been sent - the North Stars were not going to be intimidated any more.

After the game, reporters came to Sonmor with disparaging quotes from Cheevers, to which the feisty Sonmor replied, "OK, I have a message that you can take back to Gerry. Tell him to meet me between the dressing rooms the next time we play each other and we'll settle this like men. We'll see who's got character then." Adding "Oh, by the way, tell him to bring a basket to carry his f---ing head home in!"

The league president called Sonmor into his office afterwards and asked him if he had incited the North Stars that night. He replied with honesty, "We needed to make a stand." and I wasn't going to apologize for that. Sonmor was fined but the North Stars General Manager Lou Nanne gladly paid the fine for his head coach, knowing what Sonmor was up to and was behind him 100%.

Sure enough, the North Stars were paired up in the opening round of the 1981 Stanley Cup Playoffs. Just before Sonmor was to leave for the airport for Boston, he opened a letter from a local woman who said that she was a psychic. She had a vision of Sonmor standing behind the bench in the Boston Garden wearing an eye patch and beating the "Curse of the Garden". Sonmor thought her name, Amy Puckett, sounded enough like a hockey "puck" and considered it a good omen. Sonmor, you see, had his budding hockey career cut short by an eye injury which left him with a glass eye in place of the one he lost to a slapshot.

Sure enough, Sonmor figured he could use all the good Karma he could get at that point and retrieved his eye patch for the trip to Boston. "I put that patch on right before we hit the ice and I remember screaming out just like a general leading his troops into battle: "Boys, the curse ends tonight!"

That's it!

Funny. I guess that makes Amy Puckett the second most famous Puckett in Minnesota sports history.

A couple of other quirky events. Now, there is no word of the superstitions that failed but in at least two more instances these oddities are noted:

1988: St. Louis was 0-31-3 in Philadelphia, a 16-year + 34-game winless streak in the Spectrum. Legendary announcer Dan Kelly who would pass a few months later was working his final game or road trip as I recall. It was the only time he announced a game with his son who was also a PxP man. Blues won.

1989: Pittsburgh was 0-39-3 in Philadelphia, a 15-year + 42-game winless streak in the Spectrum. Supposedly, as the story goes, two radio DJs from Pittsburgh dressed as witch doctors and made their way onto the ice prior to the game and did a dance to release the opposition's grasp. Penguins won.

Reactions: Tarantula

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Maurice Richard scored his 325th goal which broke the all-time record of Nels Stewart, his 100th, 200th, 400th, 500th all against the Chicago Blackhawks.

Gretzky did something similar: his 1st, 100th, 500th, 802nd, and several more I'm forgetting were all against the Canucks.

Reactions: Iapyi

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Gretzky did something similar: his 1st, 100th, 500th, 802nd, and several more I'm forgetting were all against the Canucks.
Ha! That's right (actually, his 200th goal against the Canucks, not the 100th). As I recall, when he passed Kurri to (permanently) become the all-time playoff goals-leader (I think in 1991), it was also against the Canucks. His 1200th assist was against the Canucks. And his 50th and final RS hat-trick was also against the Canucks.

He scored 29 goals against Richard Brodeur (plus 2 more in the playoffs), more than against any goaltender.

"What he did best was make you look bad."
-- Richard Brodeur

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
3 players began their NHL careers with the Whalers and ended up in the HHOF:

Ron Francis

Chris Pronger

Mark Howe (He's the trick answer as he began his pro career with the Aeros in the WHA but was with the Whalers when they joined the NHL in 1979)

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
3 players began their NHL careers with the Whalers and ended up in the HHOF:

Ron Francis

Chris Pronger

Mark Howe (He's the trick answer as he began his pro career with the Aeros in the WHA but was with the Whalers when they joined the NHL in 1979)

3 HHOFers also finished their careers with the Whalers.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
3 HHOFers also finished their careers with the Whalers.
Gordie and The Golden Jet in our first season. I am blanking on the third and am going to be deeply ashamed of myself when you give me the answer.

Reactions: MS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad