Objective Assessment of Each Amateur Scout Versus AI

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
A potato would likely do better, did not like the draft after the first 2 picks. It almost makes you wonder if scouts see all the lists out there and feel like they have to big brain the teams picks to show that not just anybody can do it... And then subsequently have none of the picks turn out, but it's 3-4 years down the road and nobody cares about them anymore. Filling organizational depth through the draft should be anethma, you can pick up 19-20 year olds as free agents or when they age out of the CHL.

One thing I was wondering was when I heard a former exec / scout (sorry can't remember who) talk about "the tap" that GM's give their scouts somewhere halfway around round three of a draft onward where it's less BPA and more "we need this type of player, find me someone that fits that profile".

Either our scouts really are as bad as you describe (which I sadly think is possible) or the management process of trying to fill an organizational need for "balance" is at play.

The good news is both would be fixable; replace the scouts or rethink the purpose of the draft, and just make it about harvesting talent. I like what Trotz talked about, how he can find depth on the waiver or free agent market, so only go after higher-end talent. It looks like that's what Allvin does in the first three rounds, but as admitted to in that scouting profile someone posted earlier, rounds three onward, a different process kicks in.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Yet another dismal performance by the Amateur Scouting Staff.

It seems bizarre that Cammi Granato came over from Seattle, one of the best analytics clubs in the league, where she set up the amateur scouting department and then lets her Scouting staff in Vancouver assemble their ranking by arguing in a room.

If anything their entire list, after Hunter Brzustewicz, yet again ranked players 3 or more rounds too high.

Will it ever change? Is there no oversight on these Scouts?

It is just pathetic. Take a listen:

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad