Obama trolls Phil Kessel during Penguins' visit to The White House (Mod Post #1)

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Wait that's trolling? I feel like that's just using the same joke that everyone has been using since June. I don't even think that it was a joke made at Kessel's expense either, I feel like he was just repeating the meme that has been a thing for months now.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Obama has read all of the Kessel threads over the years and this is his inside joke with HFBoards ;)

Wishing he made some hot dog jokes. Wouldn't it have been great if he just picked on Kessel the entire speech?

'Winning is hard, you have to work hard; like Phil at a Buffet line.'
'I want to congratulate the Pittsburgh Penguins, Finally, Phil Kessel is almost as good as his sister.'
'Phil. I'm happy you made it. I hear they had an all you can eat breakfast at your hotel, didn't think you'd make it.'
'It certainly takes sweat and determination. Speaking of sweat, Phil, I smelt you when you walked into the White House and knew it was time for my speech.'

Just some off the top of my head.

Love my some Phil the Thrill Kessel.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Wait that's trolling? I feel like that's just using the same joke that everyone has been using since June.

I always thought the saying was a shot at his detractors.
The ones who said, wrote or believed you can't win with The Phil.
The ones that didn't pick him for his respective countries team.
Etc.

How many other Americans are on the Penguins? Can't think of any off the top of my head.

Theres 9 total on the Cup team, counting Lovejoy and Bennett and more if you count the depth players(Porter, etc.).

Pens are the Cup champ with the most NCAA players on it, though:
Phil, Bonino, Hagelin, Rust, Sheary, Wilson, Schultz, Dumoulin, Cole, Lovejoy, Bennett.
And just under that theres Guentzel, Porter, Rowney, Warsofsky, Ruhwedel, Prow, Maguire, Bleuger, DiPauli.

All former NCAA players.

Last edited:

Talks to Goalposts

Apr 8, 2011
Edmonton
He has great comic timing and delivery.

He's always done a great routine at the White House Correspondent's Dinner. Often on par with the actual comedians they invite for the event.

Jerry Seinfeld did a Comedians in Cars getting Coffee with Obama on the logic that Obama's Correspondent's Dinner work was good enough for him to be an honourary comedian.

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
Wishing he made some hot dog jokes. Wouldn't it have been great if he just picked on Kessel the entire speech?

'Winning is hard, you have to work hard; like Phil at a Buffet line.'
'I want to congratulate the Pittsburgh Penguins, Finally, Phil Kessel is almost as good as his sister.'
'Phil. I'm happy you made it. I hear they had an all you can eat breakfast at your hotel, didn't think you'd make it.'
'It certainly takes sweat and determination. Speaking of sweat, Phil, I smelt you when you walked into the White House and knew it was time for my speech.'

Just some off the top of my head.

Love my some Phil the Thrill Kessel.

Kind of puzzling that he opted for a light zinger instead of setting an example of bullying and fat-shaming a champion athlete that came by invitation.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
:laugh: Even as a Canadian I love that he keeps going back to the Trudeau thing. I only wish Justin had returned the favor when the US went crashing out of the WC.

Also, seeing "Obama 44" gives me an idea of what to do with that old Orpik shirt...

Guy knows nothing about hockey or who Kessel even is...one of his little servants wrote him up that line to be funny..

PHEW somewhere Noam Chomsky and Ralph Nader are in a bar, raising a glass to this savage burn.

By the way, is there any more tiresome signoff line for the glib, pointless, fun-killing post than "so who cares?" If its as pointless as you claim, no need to even hit 'post'. The rest of us are good without the commentary.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Didn't seem like a troll job to me. Seemed more like reminding the Kessel naysayers that he's a Stanley Cup champion.

If was meant to be a troll job, it would be like Roy's reaction when Roenick made the comment about Roy getting his jock out of the rafters. Roy didn't care (and gave an epic response). He's a champ. Same with Kessel.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
He should've tied Steve Simmons into it somehow. That would've been awesome.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
If I may interject and not hijack the thread.

Phil Kessel didn't get anything negative from Toronto or Toronto fans. We loved him here. It's what he got being a Leafs while he was in Toronto from rest of the league

Almost all Toronto fans were happy with Phil then, we are happier to see him in this stage now

I meant that from a media perspective. I've been very outspoken about how solid Leaf fans are with the whole Kess thing. I noticed your board was openly rooting for him to hoist Lord Stanley. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad