Oakland Athletics relocation to Las Vegas thread: Move to Vegas approved by MLB owners - Will play in Sacramento for 3-4 years

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I moved to the Bay Area in '77 and I became an A's fan right away. Once we got to be 15 and 16, my friends and I would drive from Walnut Creek to the Coliseum BART station, park in the parking lot for free and walk across the bridge with $10 in our pockets for a bleacher seat/nachos/large coke.

We'd get there early for batting practice, Dave Kingman was the great BP hitter ever. I can still hear the sound his bat made in an empty stadium. We'd always sit in LF and then in the 80's and the Bash Brothers got there, things got crowded quickly

Goddamn that was great.

Thansk for sharing - I love stories like this.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
the rams have always been an LA team and should've never left to begin with. they were there 48 years before moving to STL. heck, i've met some old diehard rams fans who considered the move to anaheim in the late 70s as a relocation

what the NFL should've done was award an expansion franchise to STL instead of to jacksonville

& they were basically relocated because Georgia Frontiere wanted a team in her hometown. Thats why I laugh when STL fans complain about the NFL shunning them for LA. Rams shouldnt of been there to begin with.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Thansk for sharing - I love stories like this.

Here's the other bleacher story I have. For some reason, the one player our group of A's fans disliked was Carney Lansford. He was the king hitting singles with 2 out and nobody on base, or it seemed that way to us. Looking back, he did have 2000 hits, but he never ever walked and just was 'that guy' for us.

But he did hit the ball hard, he hit a lot of line drives. One day in batting practice, he pulled one down the third base line foul, and it clocked a dude reading the sport page not paying attention straight in the head on the fly and the sound that made was frightening. Knocked him out cold. He came to after a short time, but that sound stuck with me.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I moved to the Bay Area in '77 and I became an A's fan right away. Once we got to be 15 and 16, my friends and I would drive from Walnut Creek to the Coliseum BART station, park in the parking lot for free and walk across the bridge with $10 in our pockets for a bleacher seat/nachos/large coke.

We'd get there early for batting practice, Dave Kingman was the great BP hitter ever. I can still hear the sound his bat made in an empty stadium. We'd always sit in LF and then in the 80's and the Bash Brothers got there, things got crowded quickly

Goddamn that was great.

Oakland is an underrated sports city, from 1972 to 1976 they won 5 sports championships ( 3 straight by the A's, 1975 Warriors, 1976 Raiders). The Raiders won in 1980, the A's won in 1989 and the Warriors won 3 NBA Titles out of 4 years in the 2010's.

Reactions: spintheblackcircle

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
might be more people in the coliseum parking lot for the boycott than inside the stadium tonight

i-think-there-might-also-be-a-baseball-game-over-in-that-v0-rkf60vg5r6rc1.jpeg

Reactions: SoupNazi

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
It’s one thing to not like a sport, but to hate? Like how?
I should clarify: I can tolerate NCAA basketball for the most part. It's the NBA that I truly despise.
I hate the constant stoppages of play, I hate the endless points, I hate the overreliance on the 3-point shot, I hate the lack of defense, I hate the way only a very small number of teams ever have the slightest chance in hell of winning anything...it's just not a game for me. I don't enjoy it.
Hoping there’s no racial undertone here.
f*** right off with that bullshit.

I love football and I like baseball and soccer, I must have missed when those sports became sponsored by the goddamn KKK.

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
I should clarify: I can tolerate NCAA basketball for the most part. It's the NBA that I truly despise.
I hate the constant stoppages of play, I hate the endless points, I hate the overreliance on the 3-point shot, I hate the lack of defense, I hate the way only a very small number of teams ever have the slightest chance in hell of winning anything...it's just not a game for me. I don't enjoy it.

f*** right off with that bullshit.

I love football and I like baseball and soccer, I must have missed when those sports became sponsored by the goddamn KKK.
Okay cool

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
Doubt Fisher spends that much more on the team in Vegas. He knows he'll make tons of money off of visiting fans who can have fun in Vegas in addition to seeing their team play, so what's the motive for a cheapskate like him to spend the extra money needed to make the team better?

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Doubt Fisher spends that much more on the team in Vegas. He knows he'll make tons of money off of visiting fans who can have fun in Vegas in addition to seeing their team play, so what's the motive for a cheapskate like him to spend the extra money needed to make the team better?
he'll sell the first chance he gets if/when they move to vegas since it'll up the value of the team. that's the main reason he wants to move in the first place

Reactions: LightningStorm

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Don't blame Kotsay for this.....he is just doing what he is told to do by his bosses. The same shit happens with the Marlins, trust me on this.

I can't believe he is only 48, I mean I know he is a recent player so that doesn't surprise me, but he looks closer to 68 in that picture, managing the A's must age you like being the POTUS

BiolaRunner

Jan 19, 2018
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">“Try not to highlight product that focuses on the name Oakland” <br><br>It looks like Fisher can’t wait to get to Vegas 🤨 (<a href="https://twitter.com/RFWill149?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@RFWill149</a>)<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/MLB?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#MLB</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Oakland?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#Oakland</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Athletics?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#Athletics</a> <a href="https://t.co/j2G8QgZsIu">pic.twitter.com/j2G8QgZsIu</a></p>&mdash; Rampant (@RampantSport) <a href="">April 3, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

• Wow
Reactions: TheTotalPackage

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad