Oakland Athletics relocation to Las Vegas thread: Move to Vegas approved by MLB owners - Will play in Sacramento for 3-4 years

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
what makes you think the people of oakland didn't care about the A's?

and if you think that vegas is going to give a single shit about the A's, then i have some really bad news for you
Same as the Expos, when ownership doesn't put in the effort, then the fans won't. People who think its A's fans who failed the team don't fully understand what has been going on over the past decade

Reactions: Hawkeye8

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
imagine if fisher had tried pulling this shit with the yankees or red sox? the league would've forced him to sell immediately

MLB is a f***ing joke of a league
I think MLB gave up on Oakland and just want to wash it away like the A's didnt exist. Its a shame as when ownership invested in the team, fans showed up and competitive rosters were fielded.

Reactions: Hawkeye8

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
I think MLB gave up on Oakland and just want to wash it away like the A's didnt exist. Its a shame as when ownership invested in the team, fans showed up and competitive rosters were fielded.
and ownership hasn't invested in the team since the 90s

imagine saying the fans "don't care" when ownership doesn't care about putting a winning product on the field and trades away all the talent whenever the team does manage to put up a couple winning seasons. why even bother caring when ownership has repeatedly given the finger to winning for all these years?

Reactions: donghabs98

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Apparently they won't have a city designation while they're in Sacramento. So just the Athletics or A's? I would call them the Triple A's.

That doesn’t make sense to me. My hunch is that a decent number of Sacrament…arians will view the A’s being there as a trial run for them to hopefully get a future team of their own. There’s undoubtedly more than a few that would like to buy Sacramento-named gear.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
Pathetic that MLB just let ownership poop all over this franchise to tank it so he could justify relocation. **** them. I'm glad Oakland raised a birdy to them and isn't letting them stay until LV is ready.

Reactions: Terry Yake

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil

During this interim period, the A’s are not going not going to be called the “Sacramento A’s.” They’ll just be “the A’s” or “the Athletics.”

Traditionally, a team’s road jerseys carry a geographical element, the city or state that the club claims. But during the Sacramento era, A’s road jerseys will look like home jerseys, saying only the name.

• Wow
Reactions: SoupNazi

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
It's gonna be refreshing to see the A's play in front of fans that care for once. Not in my life time did Oakland ever care about them.
So you're 15?

"It's going to be the most sought-after ticket in America."

Hyperbole much?

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
That doesn’t make sense to me. My hunch is that a decent number of Sacrament…arians will view the A’s being there as a trial run for them to hopefully get a future team of their own. There’s undoubtedly more than a few that would like to buy Sacramento-named gear.
I think they'll still make Sacramento type merch though the official name won't have any any city name.

I do wonder what the buy in from the market will be. Interesting times ahead.

If there's no geographic identifier I wonder what the abbreviation will be during broadcasts since it won't be OAK.

ATH maybe? ATL is taken.

Reactions: SoupNazi

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
To be fair, if Sacrament...onians do view this as a test drive before eventually getting a team of their own, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a hot ticket given the limited supply.

Granted, they're going to be hot garbage and watch the team overprice the tickets, so those'll obviously be factors against.

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
It's gonna be refreshing to see the A's play in front of fans that care for once. Not in my life time did Oakland ever care about them.
Crappy ownership drives away fans. Many good baseball markets have turned into cities with empty stadiums based on owners putting out a terrible product (Baltimore, Cincinnati, Kansas City, Pittsburgh).

Reactions: BB79 and SoupNazi

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Big fan of this move as Oakland is a complete shithole that has much bigger issues and I know I’ll go to a ton of Angels games in Las Vegas. Sucks for the fans but at least they still have the Giants in the area so they aren’t completely deprived of a local baseball team

No A's fan will cheer for the Giants, just like any Raiders fans would cheer for the 49ers. The only teams the Bay Area as a whole care about are the Warriors and Sharks.

Reactions: BB79

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
No A's fan will cheer for the Giants, just like any Raiders fans would cheer for the 49ers. The only teams the Bay Area as a whole care about are the Warriors and Sharks.
You’re now like the 5th person to say this despite this never being what I said :shakehead. The point isn’t that current fans WILL switch to the Giants (though they have the option to if they so desire) but they can still attend MLB games, and future generations who never knew the Oakland A’s will have a local team

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
Sharks would be a hell of a lot (or hella in Bay Area terms) more popular if they were based in SF but I guess they’re happy in the Silicon Valley. Hard to believe that the Bay will soon have just one team per pro sport and they’re left with just Cal-Stanford as their only local rivalry. I guess Warriors-Kings kinda counts??

But if you look at the stats, Bay Area only ranks 13th in metro population so it technically doesn’t make sense to have two teams in the same sport.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
To be fair, if Sacrament...onians do view this as a test drive before eventually getting a team of their own, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a hot ticket given the limited supply.

Granted, they're going to be hot garbage and watch the team overprice the tickets, so those'll obviously be factors against.
why would a nothing like Sacramento have a team?

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
why would a nothing like Sacramento have a team?
What? It's the 20th largest TV market in the US, ahead of many MLB cities like St. Louis, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, San Diego, Kansas City, Cincinnati, and Milwaukee, and the 28th biggest metro area with well over 2 million people, again ahead of current MLB markets like Kansas City, Cincinnati, Cleveland, and Milwaukee

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad