Oakland Athletics relocation to Las Vegas thread: Move to Vegas approved by MLB owners - Will play in Sacramento for 3-4 years

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
But if you look at the stats, Bay Area only ranks 13th in metro population so it technically doesn’t make sense to have two teams in the same sport.
The Bay Area is the fifth largest metropolitan area in the United States (New York, Los Angeles, Washington-Baltimore, and Chicago are 1-4) by Combined Statistical Area. That also excludes the adjacent Sacramento CSA.

While Chicago can probably draw from the adjacent Milwaukee CSA (depending on the sport - not as applicable for baseball as, say, for hockey), #6 Dallas doesn't really have any adjacent CSAs - yes, there is population outside their CSA that is drawn from, but that's true of every CSA (for example, the Bay Area CSA not only doesn't include Sacramento, but also doesn't include the Fresno CSA, Monterey County, or Northern CA).

Metropolitan statistical areas aren't good tools for this analysis, because they're built around a single urban core, and the Bay Area has multiple significant urban cores.

Reactions: Vamos Rafa

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
You’re now like the 5th person to say this despite this never being what I said :shakehead. The point isn’t that current fans WILL switch to the Giants (though they have the option to if they so desire) but they can still attend MLB games, and future generations who never knew the Oakland A’s will have a local team
So would you support the Angels moving to Portland?

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
they've turned comments off on every platform. i think even linkedin

They're the definition of spineless cowards
Just like the media mostly does. Youtube and social media as well. They don't want to get ratio'ed so they turn it off. As you said, spineless cowards. Afraid of the truth.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2008
A's ain't too bad this year. Be interesting to see if crowds start to trickle in if this team is competing in late September.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
A's ain't too bad this year. Be interesting to see if crowds start to trickle in if this team is competing in late September.
they started out decent in 2022. still lost 102 games

had a weird 7 game winning streak last year too

this team is finishing dead last

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
The Bay Area is the fifth largest metropolitan area in the United States (New York, Los Angeles, Washington-Baltimore, and Chicago are 1-4) by Combined Statistical Area. That also excludes the adjacent Sacramento CSA.

While Chicago can probably draw from the adjacent Milwaukee CSA (depending on the sport - not as applicable for baseball as, say, for hockey), #6 Dallas doesn't really have any adjacent CSAs - yes, there is population outside their CSA that is drawn from, but that's true of every CSA (for example, the Bay Area CSA not only doesn't include Sacramento, but also doesn't include the Fresno CSA, Monterey County, or Northern CA).

Metropolitan statistical areas aren't good tools for this analysis, because they're built around a single urban core, and the Bay Area has multiple significant urban cores.
First, I want to say that I am sorry that the As are moving. The city has a dump of a ballpark that they won't or can't fix.

There a few Cubs and Sox fans in Milwaukee. It is illegal to shoot them. In 43 years, I have attended one Cubs game, one White Sox game and one Wolves game. The only way that I see a Blackhawks game is because they play Nashville. In 25 years, I have not seen one yet. I have gone to Nashville to see some games.

The 2 cities hate each other, the sports fans have gotten into fights at the baseball stadium and one brawl outside the Bradley Center after an Admirals game. I saw about 30 people fighting on the plaza and 10 or 12 Milwaukee Police cars on 4th Street in front of the arena. My wife was pregnant at the time, so we went out a different door to get to our car.

Last edited:

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Makes sense. And even if that's not the case, they want to put on a good look for MLB the same way the temporary Oklahoma City Hornets got the NBA's attention.

... wait, quick! Protect the Mariners!

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
First, I want to say that I am sorry that the As are moving. The city has a dump of a ballpark that they won't or can't fix.

There a few Cubs and Sox fans in Milwaukee. It is illegal to shoot them. In 43 years, I have attended one Cubs game, one White Sox game and one Wolves game. The only way that I see a Blackhawks game is because they play Nashville. In 25 years, I have not seen one yet. I have gone to Nashville to see some games.

The 2 cities hate each other, the sports fans have gotten into fights at the baseball stadium and one brawl outside the Bradley Center after an Admirals game. I saw about 30 people fighting on the plaza and 10 or 12 Milwaukee Police cars on 4th Street in front of the arena. My wife was pregnant at the time, so we went out a different door to get to our car.

LMAO

As someone not from the Midwest I never really realized how big a thing there is between Illinois and Wisconsin, but I've learned. It's remarkable considering how nice literally everyone from Wisconsin I've ever met is.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs

People in Chicago do not hate Milwaukee. Most can appreciate it and Wisconsin is the #1 tourist destination for Illinois residents. It's 1-way animosity, for the most part.

Detroit and St. Louis, now those are cities people here hate.

LMAO

As someone not from the Midwest I never really realized how big a thing there is between Illinois and Wisconsin, but I've learned. It's remarkable considering how nice literally everyone from Wisconsin I've ever met is.
They call us FIBs.

F****** Illinois B*******s

• Wow
Reactions: TheGreenTBer

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
Saw Jeff Passan say the reason Sacramento was so amenable to hosting the A’s is because they think Vegas is gonna fall apart and they’ll just end up staying there.
What I wonder is if they do end up in Sacramento instead of Vegas, how many of their fans will stick with them? Sacramento is a day trip for Oakland residents.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad