Trade: [OAK/NYY] Sonny Gray to the Yankees for Mateo, Fowler & Kaprelian

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
Sonny Gray is elite. His size doesn't mean a thing.

He may be elite, but his mechanics & late load are bad signs. There have only been 2 starters to start past the age of 30 with his height in the last 30 years. Those 2 being Steve Stone AND Flash Gordon, and those are just the facts.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
He may be elite, but his mechanics & late load are bad signs. There have only been 2 starters to start past the age of 30 with his height in the last 30 years. Those 2 being Steve Stone AND Flash Gordon, and those are just the facts.

I have literally never heard the term late load. I like to think I know a lot of scouting terms, but that's not one I've ever heard. Nor in the pitching community.

That's not it. Mike Hampton, Mike Leake, Teddy Higuera, Marcus Stroman, and Whitey Ford to name a few. Not to mention relievers like Billy Wagner, John Franco, Mike Marshall, Greg Holland, Kelvin Herrera, and AJ Ramos. Both of these lists drastically expand when you go up one inch, where most of the guys are even questionably 5'11".

It's not Sonny Gray's fault that there's an inherent bias against small pitchers that's finally being toppled over.

Last edited:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I have literally never heard the term late load. I like to think I know a lot of scouting terms, but that's not one I've ever heard. Nor in the pitching community.

That's not it. Mike Hampton, Mike Leake, Teddy Higuera, Marcus Stroman, and Whitey Ford to name a few. Not to mention relievers like Billy Wagner, John Franco, Mike Marshall, Greg Holland, Kelvin Herrera, and AJ Ramos. Both of these lists drastically expand when you go up one inch, where most of the guys are even questionably 5'11".

It's not Sonny Gray's fault that there's an inherent bias against small pitchers that's finally being toppled over.

HDMH.... :yo:

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I wouldn't go as far as saying that size doesn't mean a thing.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Sonny Gray is elite. His size doesn't mean a thing.

Elite is a strong word. Gray is not even an ace, IMO. He's a good 2/3 pitcher.

To me, elite means Kershaw/Sale/Scherzer/Kluber. Gray is a tier or two below.

He pitched decent tonight. His defense making 3 errors cost him 2 unearned runs and getting even 2 runs off Kluber is a tough task.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis

Can you explain what late load is cause to me that's what happens at night if I have spicy food for dinner

Sacha Baron Corbin

Jan 19, 2011
It's been a week and I still have no clue what a late load is. I agree with Clowe Me, I'll take Gray's track record over a 40 second video of one guy's opinion

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad