Trade: [OAK/NYY] Sonny Gray to the Yankees for Mateo, Fowler & Kaprelian

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Could have also held onto him until next deadline. He would still have a ton of value.

Just feel like Beane settled more than Cashman did.

true but i have a feeling gray's injury history played a part in BB wanting to get a deal done now

this is a true boom or bust deal. we'll just have to wait a while to see the results. all 3 prospects have major upside so i'm not completely bummed

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
fowler is better than florial for what it's worth

it was obvious a while ago they weren't going to get frazier or torres. fowler and mateo is a good return but like i said, this trade all comes down to health. if fowler can recover and be the player he's supposed to be, this will be a great trade for the A's

He's not better than Florial, just farther along in his development.

I don't understand how all these GM's continue to let Cashman walk all over them and give up his second-tier and blocked prospects.

true but i have a feeling gray's injury history played a part in BB wanting to get a deal done now

this is a true boom or bust deal. we'll just have to wait a while to see the results. all 3 prospects have major upside so i'm not completely bummed

Which is hilarious considering two out of the three guys he's dealt with are probably hurt into the early part of 2018.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
He's not better than Florial, just farther along in his development.

I don't understand how all these GM's continue to let Cashman walk all over them and give up his second-tier and blocked prospects.

Which is hilarious considering two out of the three guys he's dealt with are probably hurt into the early part of 2018.

They keep doing it though. Why I thought it was silly to expect BB to be the one not to get talked down so much by Cash-money.

This is an excellent trade for the Yanks once again.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Billy Beane has basically become latter-day Lou Lamoriello, only Lou's problem was draft/FA signings and not getting raked over the coals in trades :P

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Love this for Cashman. Did not even give up a top 75 prospect and got a solid young arm under control for a couple more years.

This is also key for my fantasy baseball team :naughty:

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
i wouldn't say cashman walked all over BB. like i said, all 3 guys have huge upside. health is the only concern. no one was expecting them to trade torres or frazier. the only question was florial but i'm happy with getting fowler instead

fowler is supposed to be ready by ST

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
But health is a major concern. Fowler's knee was legit destroyed. Kap could bounce back but he has had a history of injuries now.

Mateo is good, but not great ATM and most likely wasn't going to get a chance on the yanks anyway.

Blueblood9

Dec 11, 2011
Nashville, TN
I love the deal for both teams. Massive Yankee fan here btw

First Yankees get a 2/3 SP combine Gray with Severino (which has proven himself a solid #1) and Tanaka whos showing shades of returning to top end of the rotation thats a solid playoff ready rotation. Add that to the O they have which is top end and an extremly solid bull pen this team is ready for war and is mostlikely the 3rd best team in the AL. If you called them that at the beginning of the season you are lieing.

As for what the A's got:

Matteo Is good real good but inconsistant. Fact of the matter is the Yankees are higher on Florial and both will end up as CF in MLB.

With the devestating injury fowler sustatined i dont know if he reaches his potential which was an everyday CF. Now he probably ends up a corner OF or a number 4 OF.

Kap hurts the most for me. His potential is most likely Gray IF he can stay healthy. But in 2+ yrs in the Yankees system he only pitched 40 Innings. I put him just above adams and sheffield but this latest injury might him pushed him below them in the eyes of the brass.

Its a win-win but the A's def went high risk high reward and if fowler fully recovers theyll come out ahead

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Mateo isn't just destined for CF. He plays SS, CF, and 2B all fairly solidly. Anyone would rather have a SS in that equation.

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
(...)

(...)
What's not to understand? No GM does a trade only to be praised on some random message board, but to acquire talent. The A's obviously liked the Yankees' offer best, which contained three prospects who are universally deemed as very talented (regardless to their actual positions on some rankings, which certainly do not matter much for Oakland, since they have their own scouting and player evaluation staff).

Frankly, I am at a complete loss how anybody could even think that the perception of a prospect being "blocked" within the Yankees organization should deter any other team from trading for this particular player. Normally, expandable prospect should be easier to pry away, so a team like Oakland better target those seemingly "blocked" prospects in order to acquire as much talent as possible.

Gruß,
BSHH

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Cardinals reportedly swooped in at the last minute and offered Piscotty and Weaver/Flaherty but Beane took the Yankees' package instead, according to Rosenthal.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
But health is a major concern. Fowler's knee was legit destroyed. Kap could bounce back but he has had a history of injuries now.

Mateo is good, but not great ATM and most likely wasn't going to get a chance on the yanks anyway.

Yeah, injuries are big here. But isn't a big risk of Gray is that he's somewhat injury prone as well?

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Yeah, this deal has tremendous upside for the A's. They need to figure out their pitching in the upcoming years but they will have some potentially very good position players.

Yankees did well here also. Always thought Gray made a hell of a lot more sense than Darvish. Only question is whether Tanaka opts out after this year. CC is off the books so that helps a lot in the upcoming years.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Kaprielian has dynamite stuff. If he can stay healthy, that's a great get. But, like, how reasonable of an ask is that?

Also, Fowler will be fine if his rehab and stuff goes well. He'll be an average major league starter if it does. Solid ballplayer.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Yeah, this deal has tremendous upside for the A's. They need to figure out their pitching in the upcoming years but they will have some potentially very good position players.

Yankees did well here also. Always thought Gray made a hell of a lot more sense than Darvish. Only question is whether Tanaka opts out after this year. CC is off the books so that helps a lot in the upcoming years.

Even with a thin pithing free agent market, I can't see Tanaka risk losing all that money he's still owed.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011

Maybe he just has that Garth Snow charisma over Peter Chiarelli. Just with more than one guy.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
After listening to Tom Verduci yesterday, I love this trade for the A's.

Late load, 5 foot 10 only a few of the red flags

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad